Twenty Wishes Challenge - Page 23
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1. Learn lace knitting.

More shawl knitting. The pattern I'm knitting is Multnomah...and I'm using Arequipa yarn (the Pansy colour).

14. Hook 2 more rugs by July 1st. And another 2 by Dec. 31st.

My new cutting blade came yesterday! I've got it on the wool stripper and ready to go!

15. Learn to spin exotic fibres.

I found some 100% jumbo cotton balls in my bathroom cabinet to spin! Also spun some more Massam wool...wonderful long fibre.

17. Eat out once a week frugally.

DH and I went out and shared a dessert and a pot of tea. I just wasn't hungry enough for it all, but I needed to get out. I'm feeling cooped up with this cold.

19. Knit a pair of socks that fit!

Finally finished the first sock of the pair I'm knitting for a friend for Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi all! It's been awhile since I posted. Let's see...

1. Learn lace knitting.

I have a lace cowl I want to knit next, but I need to buy needles. DH and I are currently on a spending freeze till April 15th. So I'm out of luck with the lace knitting till then...at least for the cowl pattern.

2. Knit through "The Knitter's Almanac" by Elizabeth Zimmermann.

Need to check and see what April's project is.

5. Update wardrobe (by sewing fabric at hand…and knitting, etc.)

Still waiting to talk to friend's son in fashion design.

6. Renovate kitchen?

We're working on the ceiling this weekend.

Learned to make art yarn at spinning classes this week. I combined silk, wool and cotton into various types of yarn. Also some beads. Interesting. I was quite motivated and excited about this process. So I came home and made up an onion skin dye bath with alum to dye the product. Had way too much dye in the bath, so I threw in some silk to overdye it to go with the original art yarn, and a huge hunk of wool too. By the time I was done it was 3 hours later and I have tons of lovely yellow and gold yarn. Just right for spring!

16. Take time to experience frugal luxuries once every day…even if it's just a cup of tea!

I don't know why I put this on my list. With me being a stay-at-home-wife and no kids underfoot I am living a life of luxury! I make sure DH gets special treatment for his contribution to allowing me the freedom to stay home. Retirement might be a bit tough, but we'll see. I can always go back to work once he stops working. Though it would be majorly bad for my mental health.

Thinking about this. We were already out once this week. This coming weekend/week I will treat from my allowance.

That's about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Peanut, you are really whittling your list down! Good job!

We've decided not to sell our house, so I will get to use my purple paint after all! That makes me smile. My eye appointment is next week, and once I've paid for everything there, I'll be figuring out who DH and I will pick as our dentist in this town. That will go towards my self-care goal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

6. Renovate kitchen?

DH finished sanding and washing down the kitchen ceiling yesterday. We picked up painting supplies to finish the job next weekend.

9. Renovate our yard.

DH and I sat down and made a list of things we want to tackle around the yard and house this summer. The kitchen reno is not going ahead until we are sure we have money to finish the job.

22. Finish Trip-Around-The-World quilt.

Sewed 3 of 4 borders on yesterday. Need to get someplace with a large surface area to lay it out and attached the fourth border.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How's everyone doing? I'm having a bit of a down time right now. DH is sick. Plus it's Easter and we have a lot of visiting etc. to do. But in the last week...

1. Learn lace knitting.

Planned my next lace project. I'm knitting a quivit moebius scarf.

I've lost my book and can't continue. I know I loaned it to someone at church, but I can't remember who...sigh.

I've picked out a shell to knit for summer from some bamboo/cotton yarn I already have.

6. Renovate kitchen?

DH is sick this weekend so we aren't doing any ceiling painting. We did talk about making sure we have enough money saved up for all the peripheral stuff related to the reno...such as new appliances and any tradespeople we have to call in. So we are just going to do the ceiling and sit in saving mode for the summer. The actual reno will hopefully take place this fall.

7. Visit daughters in the Maritimes.

We'll see. Our basement guest room is already booking up for company this summer. So much so that DH is talking about possibly buying a double bed to replace the single down there. We do have a queen size airbed, but DH thinks we need a real bed. I'm concerned we won't be able to get anything to fit down the stairwell (think old house, narrow step steps and sharp corners). Plus one of the couples we have to think about is quite heavy...so we need something real sturdy...hmmm... What we need is one of those old beds that comes right to pieces...a metal frame one where sides and headboards totally disconnect. Held together with serious steel bolts.

What does this have to do with the girls? Well, we're not sure we'll have time to go see them. Plus the money needs to go to the kitchen reno. Plus we've offered to pay their way west for Christmas anyway. So we don't feel too bad about not going this summer. Though it would be lovely to be in the Maritimes in the summer!

9. Renovate our yard.

Talked to the people at a local greenhouse and got some advice. They were very good. We walked out with $90 worth of stuff...including a soil test meter, a large decorative pot for the steps, and a few plants.

11. Finish some stitching projects (ones I'm experimenting with).

I'm thinking about two in particular - a hardanger bellpull and a crewel embroidery of sandpipers. They wouldn't be time consuming to finish...I just have to sit down and do it. In the case of the bellpull I need to do some research.

13. Set up a blog that generates 100 regular repeat visitors a week.

Just concentrating on blogging regularly. I'm trying to make time to improve my photo taking abilities. Gotta figure out how to get the date and time I took the photo to stop showing up in the photo!

Still spinning Massam wool. I had a scheduling conflict with my spinning class. In the end the instructor and I have decided to get together another time to work on it.

My spinning wheel is scheduled to come this month too. I am so excited! It will be nice to have something to practice with.

16. Take time to experience frugal luxuries once every day…even if it's just a cup of tea!

DH pulled the lawn chairs out and set them up on the back patio this week. I plan on spending some time out there in the next while. I have a little table I'd like to repaint to use as a place to land drinks and munchies.

DH and I went to a nearby restaurant he hasn't been to before for lunch. It was great...and cost less than $20.

~~~~~~~~~

That's it so far for the last few days. I'm really enjoying this accountability. Plus posting here is keeping me focused. Thanks FV!

How's everyone else doing with their 20 wishes?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1 Knit a pair of socks.

In progress. Actually I have two pairs in progress. One is a set for me, one sock at a time, cuff down. The other is a set for hubby, done two at a time on one circular needle, toe up.

2 Knit a sweater.

Scheduled class to get started on this in May.

3 Learn to knit cables.

In progress. Taking monthly classes to work on a knitting technique afghan. The square we're working on this month is lace and cables.

4 Take quilting classes.

5 Take sewing classes.

Signed up for class - begins Sunday, April 11th.

6 Learn to use pressure canner.

Signed up for class to be held June 9th.

7 Make/can apple butter.
    8 Make/can blackberry jelly.
    9 Bake a Carnegie Deli cheesecake.
    10 Bake baklava.
    11 Learn to do a really good Swiss cheese fondue.
    12 Learn to make chocolate covered strawberries.
    13 Take a class on refinishing hardwood floors.
    14 Plant a garden.

15 Spend a weekend at the coast.

Done! Hubby and I spent the weekend in Lincoln City, at a hotel right on the beach, had an INCREDIBLE ocean view! Wonderful time....would love to repeat this one.

16 Go to the Newport Seafood & Wine festival in February.

Wasn't able to do this one this year - will carry forward to next year's list.

17 Learn to make a cookie bouquet.

18 See Cats again when it comes to Portland in March.

Wasn't able to do this one - will either carry forward to next year's list or look for another broadway show to substitute.

19 Go to the 12th Annual Mo's Crab and Chowder Festival at Willamette Valley Vineyards in January.

Done! Had a great time!!

20 Visit the Naked Winery….bonus points for buying a T-shirt that says "Get Naked" or something equally naughty

21 Take a wine appreciation course.

The class I signed up for in February was cancelled. Have signed up for a class scheduled for next Saturday, April 10. Hopefully it won't get cancelled this time!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looks like you're really motoring along Suzanne! Your list looks like a lot of fun.

I talked to a friend today and she's going to loan me a BYOB bed that sits up off the floor and is rated for 600 lbs. I'll try it and see how comfortable it is. If it's okay, then maybe DH and I will buy it instead of a full fledged bed. This is an inflatable airbed on a frame. It could be packed up compactly (I hope) and stored when not in use. Would prevent us having to struggle with a real bed...much as we might like one.

Started the moebius scarf in qiviut. It's slow going. I'm using regular needles and I really need the sharp lace needles. Oh well. I don't have $20 right now for needles.

DH decided to paint the ceiling with primer this weekend after all. The house stinks. I'm having a full blown allergy attack. I went for a walk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1. Learn lace knitting.

It's not a moebius scarf I'm knitting...it's Wavy Feathers Wimple...and it's working up gorgeous! I think I can say I've learned lace knitting this year. Now I'm on a roll it will be hard to stop!

I loaned the book to someone at church in March and, after several phone inquiries, it has not turned up. I cannot for the life of me remember who I loaned it to! So I broke down and did a very unfrugal thing...I ordered a new copy. BUT I was able to pick it up used on Amazon.ca. So it wasn't too bad a hit to the pocketbook. Still, next time I will be more conscientious about writing down who I loan something to. I normally do, but for some reason forgot to with this one.

I thought seriously about not replacing it. But when I thought of my Twenty Wishes list with that one item unchecked because of my stupidity, I just got mad. I figured I wasn't going to let someone's irresponsibility and my own forgetfulness sabotage my efforts. So I ordered the new copy.

Okay...some serious movement on this front. I am knitting the wimple for myself...and it's nice and classy and warm. But I also have a friend's son who is just leaving fashion design school to start his own business as a tailor. I need a short casual blazer/jacket to wear with jeans and khakis for spring/summer/fall. The last time I found one that fit and looked good in the stores it was priced at $375!!! No way am I paying that!

So my friend's son and I went through my fabric stash and picked out a piece of fashion fabric he thinks will do the trick. He doesn't think it will be too expensive. Normally the fabric is the most expensive part he claims...plus he adds his profit...plus his labour.

Depending how he does quality wise and price point wise with this, I will see about having him sew me some shorts and dresses from fabric in my collection.

I could sew this stuff myself, but I have no friends into sewing who I can have fit and measure me properly...and that is crucial to good fit. I am not wanting to waste time and effort and good fabric for something that fits poorly.

Not sure this is really frugal...but we'll see...

6. Renovate kitchen?

All painting is stopped until we can open all windows and doors and Jean can leave the house while it's being done. Apparently I react to paint big time.

7. Visit daughters in the Maritimes.

DH says not this year. DD#1 will be out to visit in June. We've offered to pay her and DD#2's way home for Christmas. We're leaving it at that.

13. Set up a blog that generates 100 regular repeat visitors a week.

Working on typing up blog posts ahead of time so I have some for the days when I'm not feeling well or just plain don't have time.

14. Hook 2 more rugs by July 1st. And another 2 by Dec. 31st.

Finally started hooking the Lupin rug. I'm about 3 months behind on it.

Took another spindle full of Massam wool off it today. Still have more Massam to spin. Talk about a lot of wool in a small bag!

With me being sick my frugal luxuries have been just that...a cup of tea...with honey and echinacea!

This was tied in with the Date Night idea. We've discovered a new cheap Date Night...we go to the observatory and watch stars etc. We found the local chapter of the Astronomer's Association last week. It doesn't hold much interest for me. But DH and a friend might go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1 Knit a pair of socks.

In progress. Actually I have two pairs in progress. One is a set for me, one sock at a time, cuff down. The other is a set for hubby, done two at a time on one circular needle, toe up. I'm amazed by people who knit socks quickly - seems to take me forever!

2 Knit a sweater.

Scheduled class to get started on this in May. (Also thinking about going to a sweater knit-a-long that starts this afternoon.)

3 Learn to knit cables.

In progress. Taking monthly classes to work on a knitting technique afghan. The square we're working on this month is lace and cables. Learned how to do the cable in class last week, will consider this one done when the square is done.

4 Take quilting classes.

5 Take sewing classes.

Class starts tonight!!!

6 Learn to use pressure canner.

Signed up for class to be held June 9th.

7 Make/can apple butter.
    8 Make/can blackberry jelly.
    9 Bake a Carnegie Deli cheesecake.
    10 Bake baklava.
    11 Learn to do a really good Swiss cheese fondue.
    12 Learn to make chocolate covered strawberries.
    13 Take a class on refinishing hardwood floors.
    14 Plant a garden.

15 Spend a weekend at the coast.

Done! Hubby and I spent the weekend in Lincoln City, at a hotel right on the beach, had an INCREDIBLE ocean view! Wonderful time....would love to repeat this one.

16 Go to the Newport Seafood & Wine festival in February.

Wasn't able to do this one this year - will carry forward to next year's list.

17 Learn to make a cookie bouquet.

18 See Cats again when it comes to Portland in March.

Wasn't able to do this one - will either carry forward to next year's list or look for another broadway show to substitute.

19 Go to the 12th Annual Mo's Crab and Chowder Festival at Willamette Valley Vineyards in January.

Done! Had a great time!!

20 Visit the Naked Winery….bonus points for buying a T-shirt that says "Get Naked" or something equally naughty

21 Take a wine appreciation course.

Done! Attended the class last night and it was a blast! Very fun evening, and I learned a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1. Learn lace knitting. - still working on the wimple

- got the book...cornered the yarn to use...next is to line up the needles and start!

7. Visit daughters in the Maritimes. - had a good phone visit with DD#1 this morning.

9. Renovate our yard. - DH and I are going to concentrate on it the next couple days - his days off.

13. Set up a blog that generates 100 regular repeat visitors a week. - still working on regular posting and taking better photos.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well with recent events in my life I changed my wish list with no expectations but it being fun and some musts for xmas things.
    my new list for 2010:

new list:
    1/start bulk baking enough waffles/ pancakes for 1 month at a time.
    2/read 1 book a month
    3/find each month till xmas- 10 things for stocking stuffers for kids
    4/lose 40 by next year- lost 15 already through walking anger/hurt 0ut
    5/make quilts for each kidd bed xmas gift
    6/take a picture each month of me and kids doing something positive over the next year to put new memories in frame.
    7/get family member to take kids and I family portrait on beach this summer.
    8/watch 10 new movies in 2010
    9/stay as postive or keep as much positive around me through friends/family
    10/keep diary of my life - to reflect back all ups and downs
    11/ .....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miss_thrifty View Post
    well with recent events in my life I changed my wish list with no expectations but it being fun and some musts for xmas things.
    my new list for 2010:

new list:
    1/start bulk baking enough waffles/ pancakes for 1 month at a time.
    2/read 1 book a month
    3/find each month till xmas- 10 things for stocking stuffers for kids
    4/lose 40 by next year- lost 15 already through walking anger/hurt 0ut
    5/make quilts for each kidd bed xmas gift
    6/take a picture each month of me and kids doing something positive over the next year to put new memories in frame.
    7/get family member to take kids and I family portrait on beach this summer.
    8/watch 10 new movies in 2010
    9/stay as postive or keep as much positive around me through friends/family
    10/keep diary of my life - to reflect back all ups and downs
    11/ .....
    Great list, miss_thrifty! I especially like #9 on your list: "9/stay as postive or keep as much positive around me through friends/family"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree...#9 is priceless. I've been thinking along those lines myself these days. Just this evening a friend and I were talking about setting boundaries with different people. Sigh...so much easier said than done.

I worked on the lace wimple today, but that's about it. It's been cold and rainy, so no yardwork getting done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well my youngest is sick so the only thing ill be working on is reading . If he gets better I may bake later and small quanity in bulk and freeze.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

didnt get the baking in or reading done.sent book back. too overloaded for now try again this week.

17. Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 ... LastLast