2012 Craft & Hobby Supplies Use It Up Challenge
Page 1 of 98 12341151 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

2012 Craft & Hobby Supplies Use It Up Challenge

Anyone want to join me in a de-stashing challenge to work on using up stockpiles of craft supplies?

My downfall is yarn. I am a yarn junkie. My containers of the stuff are visible proof. It is time to start seriously using up what I have and stop the alluring pursuit of the next delectable color, even if it is on a great sale. It's painful to admit, but yes, I can have too much yarn.

So for the rest of this month and next year my goal is to use up as much of what I already have as I can, and stick to the rule that I can only buy more if I need it to complete a project I am actually working on. It will save money, save space, and make me feel, o so virtuous!

Right now, I am using some light turquoise and white yarn to make a lapghan.

If so, post here what you use up, and, of course, pics of what you made are always welcome.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think this is a great challenge idea, thanks! I have been going through my drawers and containers of materials while making a few things for Christmas and found lots of stashed projects that I should really finish, lots of things that I should concentrate on using up, plenty of perfectly good things that could be made into gifts, and probably have enough to carry me through much of 2012 without ever getting bored Not to mention all the yarn and supplies my mother just gave me out of her cabinets when I told her I am learning to crochet.

So count me in! I formally resolve to use up as much of my supply stash as I can in 2012. Another resolution is to organize the stuff well enough that I know what is there and can easily decide how best to use it up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, now this is the best gift for me this season - I am so in. And I am adding a personal twist - I cannot purchase anything even to finish a project - need to figure out how to do it all and use it all using only what I have on hand!! May take a few years, but I'm in it!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Soooooooo........you start this AFTER my second trip to
    JA's in as many days!!!!!!!!! After not having been there for MONTHS!!!!

But maybe I got it all out of my system..........they DO have a coupon commotion coming up though.......will be tough.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This challenge was just for me; I NEED IT DESPERATELY. You see I don't do one kind of craft, but many and have waaaaaaaay too much stuff. I also need to organize because I have so much I don't even know what's in the basement anymore. I AM SO IN. You know the saying he who dies with the most crafts, yarn, material, etc wins Thank you for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great challenge! I am also a yarn junkie, and I have several thousands of dollars' worth of beads (some mine, and some a huge stash my sister gave me when she decided she wasn't into jewelry-making).
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

FF - I suppose we could allow you one last Joann's coupon commotion! Besides, if you don't tell, we'll never know, will we?

Mauimagic - I'll try not to have to buy anything to finish, but on the lapghan I just finished, I was a couple of rows short on one color with no way to adapt. Then I'll allow it. But it needs to be the exception, not the rule for sure.

To all - thanks for the enthusiasm. We Can Do This.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm currently repurposing some Simply Soft Caron yarn into socks for my mother.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Like so many others, I'm soooooo in!

I can't promise not to buy anything else because there are things I truly need, but I'm going to try not to buy anything more that I don't have an immediate use for. Except cashmere.

My goals for 2012 are:

1. Check my stash FIRST for items needed for projects instead of buying something.
    2. Try to finish one UFO per week.
    3. Get rid of all items I've bought for crafts I haven't even learned to do yet. I already do too many different things.
    4. Get sewing room de-cluttered and organized.
    5. Try to re-purpose as much as possible rather than buy something to complete a project.
    6. Try hard not to buy any more projects of any kind.

I'm going to include not just hobbies, but also other projects we plan around here, like the new garden space. Exception: New deck we didn't get to build last spring thanks to the stupidity of our elected officials. I'm also including sewing in this challenge, which I personally don't consider either a craft or a hobby in my case. I have tons of utility sewing to get done and this challenge will help me get it done.

This is the perfect challenge for me, D. Thanks for starting it!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello! Usually a lurker here but coming out to say I will join you as of January 1. I have enough scrapping things for 2 lifetimes...
    Bought my new oven 1/08 and loving it!

My recurrent nightmare is there is no such thing as PMS, and this is my real personality.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    3. Get rid of all items I've bought for crafts I haven't even learned to do yet. I already do too many different things.
    This is my biggest issue, supplies for stuff I think I want to learn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spiritdeer; Probably have enough of these for the year LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

6. Try hard not to buy any more projects of any kind.
    This is my resolution every year! I do cross-stitch, and am constantly starting new projects. I have decided that I cannot start anything until I finish something. As well, I have more than enough patterns and kits to work on for many, many years, so I don't really need to buy anything new.
    ~Tracy~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's a stash project I finished today, a window quilt made from some weird stuff I bought at a rummage sale and some fabric I bought back in the eighties. The quilted backing is made with a layer of mylar on each side of the batting, plus a layer of fine netting over the mylar on both sides. I have no idea what it's really supposed to be used for. I got a big roll of it a few years ago with the idea of making window quilts but this is the first one I've made. Time to get busy!

The snowmen are on a draft stopper, not on the window quilt.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Love the hummers, as well!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Page 1 of 98 12341151 ... LastLast