FV Reading Challenge 2012 - Page 7
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Madkat...I LOVED the Karen Marie Moning Fever series. Loved it!

I'm currently reading The Scent of Rain and Lightning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished: (#5)

New York to Dallas by JD Robb........good read. Enjoyed it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Done reading the book I was reading for Jan. Now reading A Rage To Kill by Ann Rule. The last book I read took me forever to read but I've been doing alot of decluttering.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finished New York To Dallas by JD Robb, I enjoyed it but like some of her others in the series. This one didn't have as many of my favorite characters in it.
    Also finished~
    Bethany: A Slaves Story In Her Own Words by Bethany Veney and Rick Everett. Very Moving.

Eeny Meeny Miny Mo by Phillip Lazard. Bad guy in this is not nice, not nice at all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Change of plans. Instead of starting the Secret Diaries of the Holocaust I will be reading the Hunger Games.

Hubby was able to borrow the set from a co-worker. I've been wanting to read them so yay!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've listened to Huckleberry Finn on audio, and read a bunch of short stories, and one short on keeping ferrets as pets. I have no intention of doing that, but knew almost nothing about ferrets so it was an interesting read - and now I do know.

Among the short stories, all Kindle offerings and free when I got them. If they still are I would recommend:

Goudeau, The End of Eden - a very old woman lies dying and her granddaughters' comments spark memories in her fading consciousness of her long and rich life

Stone, Tabloid Reporter to the Stars. Even if you don't usually read sci fi, you might enjoy this. It's not technical, is very creative, and the surprise ending is extremely surprising indeed and very funny. It even has likable characters, not always true of SF.

I've decided that every 12 short stories or other short pieces I read I will arbitrarily make a volume of "Donna's Random Shorts" and count it as 1 book.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Do you write or use reviews?

I have started, after years, writing some reviews on Amazon. I decided that especially if I get a book or story for free, I owe something to the author, so if there are none or only a few reviews, or I disagree with the other reviewers, I'll post one. Sadly, the first two I had to write will not help the author at all, but readers also need to know what isn't worth their time or money (and I had reviewer company in those opinions).

There are so many titles out there, especially once you are in e-reader land, that I often rely on what seem to be fair and thoughtful reviews to help decide whether I want to read a book or not, though ignore the consensus if something really sparks my interest in a book.

Do any of you write reveiws? Do you use reviews in helping decide what to read? Or do you rely mostly on recommendations of people you know? Or just go your own way, sternly independent of what anything thinks?
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished one last night:

7. Simon & the Oaks by Marianne Fredriksson--It wasn't bad, but wasn't really enjoyable, either. It takes place in WW2-era Sweden, and follows a young boy as he grows up. It was one of those ones that you keep reading, thinking that it must get better, but it doesn't. LOL
    ~Tracy~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just finished "The sinking of the Titanic" by Bruce Caplan. It was a free download to my Kindle and I really enjoyed it alot. Alot of eyewitnss accounts that were told and recorded at the time by survivors and a few things I never knew.
    Kim

Wife to dh Jeff for 23 years

Mom to dd 18 dd 15

3 very spoiled cats

1 dog

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm now reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Currently reading The Wilder Life. Entertaining especially if you were a Little House on the Prarie reader (as i was in my youth)
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished: (#6)

The Help by Kathryn Stockett.............good book! Enjoyed it!!

Can't imagine they can get all the feeling into the movie.........would be interesting to see.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished 2 more books Leaving the Comfort Cafe by Dawn DeAnna Wilson and another that shall go nameless, lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I have started, after years, writing some reviews on Amazon. I decided that especially if I get a book or story for free, I owe something to the author, so if there are none or only a few reviews, or I disagree with the other reviewers, I'll post one. Sadly, the first two I had to write will not help the author at all, but readers also need to know what isn't worth their time or money (and I had reviewer company in those opinions).
    Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post

There are so many titles out there, especially once you are in e-reader land, that I often rely on what seem to be fair and thoughtful reviews to help decide whether I want to read a book or not, though ignore the consensus if something really sparks my interest in a book.

Do any of you write reviews? Do you use reviews in helping decide what to read? Or do you rely mostly on recommendations of people you know? Or just go your own way, sternly independent of what anything thinks?
    Posting reviews would be a nice thing to do even if you don't praise the book, how can anyone improve if they don't know what needs fixing? I don't post reviews mainly because many others seem to have a way with words I don't think I have and wouldn't want to look "ignorant". I'm not witty or the grammar police but I do know if I liked a book or if I was bored or it was thought provoking, so I could add my 2 cents.

I do take into consideration reviews and usually don't take a chance on un-reviewed books and with all those indy authors and "free" books you are right, I should review.
    Thanks Donna for urging me on, lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Darlene, there is nothing wrong with your way with words!

Last night I posted one for Simon's Choice, that already had 30+ reviews, all 4 and 5 except for one 3. I read the three, and found I completely agreed with it, though it wasn't my main reason for being unhappy with the book. I thought it was ok, even pretty good, for most of it, but the ending was so contrived that the last couple of pages left me disgusted with what had up til then been a pretty good read. Maybe I'm just an old cynic, but I really wanted to put in my two cents worth, though it won't override the other opinions.

When I look at reviews, I read some good ones, but also look at the bad ones. If it's all grammar and proofreading stuff, well, despite being an ex-English teacher, that doesn't bother me so much. Even the big publishing companies let some errors creep through. But if it's a substantial criticism of the book, I give it due consideration. If it's free, I might still pick it up, but it would probably stop me from buying it. I guess that's why I cringed a bit on those first couple of reviews, but the writing, both were short stories, was truly dreadful.

I finished Molly Hughes, A London Child in the 1870's. It was one of the most enjoyable things I've read in a long time. I highly recommend it if you like memoirs and if you can get it. It was recommended to me, and I got it used from an Amazon seller - it had to come from the UK, but worth it. I have her first three memoirs, one for each decade 70-90s in one volume. I'm spacing them out to prolong the pleasure.
    Donna

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast