Results 391 to 405 of 1291
Thread: 2012 Twenty Wishes Challenge
03-22-2012, 08:22 PM #391
1. Develop a giving plan & keep a giving journal - Decided my giving for today would be to acquiesce to the request of an ESL teacher for my St. Patrick's Day presentation. I sent it to him with links to the music I used. He wants to use it tonight to teach a class.
2. Make something for sale each week. - I've been rug hooking. Finished a yoga mat bag. Had a critique of it from a friend.
3. Piece a quilt top every month. - Friend was over to help me pick out fabric. Now to cut and sew a top!
4. Sell crafts at 2 or more craft sales, and online. - Selling on ETSY is not working. I am going to let it die out and just sell privately and at craft sales.
5. Improve my spiritual life through monthly retreats, daily prayer time and weekly Bible study. - This IS working. I've been able to do my daily devotions and listened to two audio books on spiritual matters the last month. I also gave the devotion at a ladies' group this month.
6. Renovations - utility room, north fence, revamp front yard. - DH is taking a well deserved break. We'll probably hold off on all renos until DH's contract is settled now. The strike vote is two Mondays from now.
7. Plan and maintain patio garden with DH. - becoming more of a necessity for food! Might switch to doing this if DH goes on strike. He'll have time to talk things over.
8. Improve health by losing 34 lbs. - Still at 163.8 lbs. Man! I wish I'd lose some!
9. Eat healthy - This I am doing, I think.
10. Exercise 5x/week - This is my downfall. I get so busy I forget!
11. Do affirmations daily. - Lost the list. It seems to have no relevance for my life right now. I don't think I made proper ones.
12. Keep a balanced budget for my allowance. - So far so good.
13. Spend one morning a week in nature. - I've been able to walk outside this week! Yippee!
14. Continue fibre arts education. Focus on rug hooking. - More critiquing of work from artists of various stripes. I also received some silk yarn and mohair locks from Paradise Fibers. I'm going to finish cleaning the mohair and then have a dyeing session. It will be a learning experience for me because I've never dyed silk yarn before. I want a nice spot dye. Will have to research some dye formulas for this.
15. Build a network of creative people. - my rug hooking group has 28 people in it now. And a few more to come I think.
16. Acquire teacher training to teach workshops. - I think this month has been good for this. I taught English Corner about St. Pat's, I did the devotion for the ladies' group, and I taught cooking classes. I am starting to feel more comfortable with being in front of people and with teaching. The ladies' group have asked me a couple times to teach cooking, but I think they want me to teach exotic stuff I can't eat...like cupcakes and chocolates. Now if they asked me to teach them how to cook gluten-free, lactose-free, sugar-free, we might have a game plan! I need to come up with something to offer to teach them...
17. Set up a website to sell e-books and products. - on hold.
18. Write e-book. - on hold.
19. Do a piece of rug hooking every month. - Done...a couple and on a third.
20. Learn to take better photographs of my craft projects for selling online. - playing with the reflective board.
- 03-23-2012, 01:38 PM #392
- Join Date
- Dec 2008
- Southwest AR
- Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
- Blog Entries
- Rep Power
Everyone has been so busy! I can report that I've read more than 2 Kindle books this month, made 2 new recipes (see signature), and had the vintage settee picked up for refinishing this morning.
I can NOT report any improvement towards my health and weight goals, and I agree with other posters that those goals do tend to fall to the wayside. However, we started moving in the new house this week, so maybe going up and down the stairs will help?03-25-2012, 04:43 PM #393
4. Sell crafts at 2 or more craft sales, and online - Took down my Etsy shop. I had it up for a year and made a total of $15. Not worth it.
8. Improve health by losing 34 lbs. - losing again. Down 1.6 lbs. this week. That's 24.8 lbs. so far.
15. Build a network of creative people. - The online group has 30 members as of today. I think that's all that will be over from the class though. Now to wait till the April class is over and then include that group somehow. Need a way to screen people to make sure they actually took the class. Hmm...any ideas?03-27-2012, 08:09 PM #394
My last three rug hooking projects.
I call it Red Door ( I know...I'm so creative! ).
I call it...get this...are you ready?...Blue Door.
The above is destined to be a hot pad for the table. No fancy yarns, just straight wool strips on linen backing...good for washing.
What's everyone up to? I ran errands all day today and I'm bushed. Turns out it's our boarder's birthday today. I baked, filled, and iced a gluten-free cake as well today. Man! Mother told me there'd be days like this!03-27-2012, 11:05 PM #395
- Rep Power
I really like those, Peanut.
I haven't done much on our twenty wishes lately. Too much else going on, and this week is devoted to writing and editing. The last two months have been draining and I'm looking forward to putting the magazine to bed soon so I can take a breath.03-29-2012, 07:58 PM #396
- Join Date
- Dec 2008
- British Columbia
- Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
- Blog Entries
- Rep Power
1. Finish my Mom's quilt I started - done
2. Buy and fill 48 totes this year and donate, toss, give away or sell the items I do not want to keep. - just finished # 15
3. Organize, make an inventory list and maintain stockpile
4. Read 12 books this year....one per month. - 3 /12
5. Work through whole stash of yarn.
6. Work through and use whole stash of fabric. - I have it all organized, ironed and within easy access. I have lots of plans now that I see what I have.
7. Make/build a retreat/entertainment area outside this summer. - the trailer that is sitting where there will be the entertainment should be gone this weekend. Whoot!
8. Exercise 7 times per week. - being very successful with this
9. Lose 12 pounds lost 12/12 I wanted to lose. I have lost 51 pounds and have decided to lose 4 more then just maintain
10. Improve and maintain my spiritual health by reading through the bible again this year. - being successful with this
11. Organize paperwork from last three years. - done!!!
12. Follow new diet plan outlined by dietician for optimum health - being successful with that
13. Quit smoking. - still haven't smoked since Jan 1st
14. Join or attend some type of craft group this year. - joined the camera club and enjoying it immensely
15. Start vegtable seeds indoors and transplant to garden. - planted the seeds today indoors
16. Find, complile and organize all photographs - done
17. Buy or make at least one Christmas gift per month. - 3/12
18. Meditate at least 3 times per week - need to work on this
19. Take photographs 3 times per week to increase photography skills and portfolio - being successful with this
20. Have a fully funded BEF and do not touch it!04-03-2012, 07:27 PM #397
Well, hello April! I can't believe March is gone already. And I can't believe I haven't posted here in so long. The reason for that is my computer. It broke! Wouldn't charge, wouldn't turn on, nothing. I had to send it in for repairs. Thank goodness I had bought the extended protection plan for it. What would have cost over $500 was actually free!
Anyway, as soon as I have finished my assignment and uploaded some pictures, I will post my progress for my wishes. Some of them have changed, some of them have not. I can't believe how well everyone else is doing! Peanut, those rugs are fabulous. The Red Door one is very nice, especially with the branches.04-04-2012, 04:14 PM #398
A belated end of March update:
1. Develop a giving plan & keep a giving journal - my giving in March was mostly my time. I've been helping out through the church, through English Corner, and by helping our boarder.
2. Make something for sale each week. - I did a lot of rug hooking of smaller pieces for sale in March. Now it's time to focus on sewing.
3. Piece a quilt top every month. - this did not happen in March, though I did pick out colours and fabrics for a couple of tops. Just never got to the sewing machine.
4. Sell crafts at 2 or more craft sales, and online. - Took down my ETSY shop. Will focus on real life sales.
5. Improve my spiritual life through monthly retreats, daily prayer time and weekly Bible study. - Doing fine on daily devotions and prayer time. Less fine on weekly Bible study and monthly retreats. I found I was going to the church for weekly Bible study mostly.
6. Renovations - utility room, north fence, revamp front yard. - DH has started cleaning up the yard. Spring is here! No real renovations happening. DH's workplace voted to strike if need be. So we are not spending money if we can help it.
7. Plan and maintain patio garden with DH. - We need to seriously start looking at this if he goes on strike.
8. Improve health by losing 34 lbs. - Lost 24 since last May. But only 4 since January. Need to lose another 30...
9. Eat healthy - I thought I was! But I'm not losing weight, so maybe not?
10. Exercise 5x/week - My achilles heel. I do a lot of errands, but they exhaust me. I don't have the energy to do them and exercise.
11. Do affirmations daily. - These fell by the wayside. Must find the card and get back to them.
12. Keep a balanced budget for my allowance. - So far so good. I have my trip to the U.S. paid in advance.
13. Spend one morning a week in nature. - Looking forward to this soon. As soon as it warms up and we're past the time of year where to park smells like dog poop!
14. Continue fibre arts education. Focus on rug hooking. - I've been exploring Gene Shepherd's Internet Rug Camp. Also checking in on Wild With Wool daily.
15. Build a network of creative people. - My online group is coming along just fine. We have 31 members and more want in. However, they haven't finished the class yet. I'll wait till they're done and then let them in.
16. Acquire teacher training to teach workshops. - Done in spades...as noted in previous post.
17. Set up a website to sell e-books and products. - Not yet. Might happen this year. We'll see how things pan out.
18. Write e-book. - Looking at this possibility. I have topics all duly noted, and am considering where to pull content from.
19. Do a piece of rug hooking every month. - Definitely met this goal!
20. Learn to take better photographs of my craft projects for selling online. - Still working on this. Learned how to take videos with my camera the other day.
I'll have to get to my sewing room to get to work on April goals soon.04-05-2012, 07:54 PM #399
2. Make something for sale each week. - finished sewing two toddler aprons. Need to cut more aprons out.
Looked over my goals for last year, especially the results of a couple of spiritual retreats I took. Decided to follow up on some of those goals as well. I ordered some Christian music today, and an audio book on CD. I need to feed myself spiritually as well. I am also borrowing audio books from a friend at church, which is helping.04-09-2012, 02:55 PM #400
My belated weekly review for last week.
1. Develop a giving plan & keep a giving journal - My giving this week has been centered on preparing and serving a Ukrainian Easter...two dinner parties...one on Good Friday and one on Easter Sunday. I'm guessing the cost was over $50 for each meal. On the other hand, we will have leftovers for awhile.
2. Make something for sale each week. - finished the toddler craft/tool aprons. Cut out 4 utility aprons for adults and 3 more craft/tool aprons for toddlers.
3. Piece a quilt top every month. - Fabric picked out and sitting on my sewing room table.
4. Sell crafts at 2 or more craft sales, and online. - Friend and I are finalizing plans to head to the U.S.
5. Improve my spiritual life through monthly retreats, daily prayer time and weekly Bible study. - Finished my devotion book. Found a book of inspirational stories. Also found some weekly Bible study books I plan to work my way through.
6. Renovations - utility room, north fence, revamp front yard. - DH is looking at a strike. I am hoping to get some time with him to plan our attack on the yard.
7. Plan and maintain patio garden with DH. - Also looking at this during the strike.
8. Improve health by losing 34 lbs. - No movement in the weight loss area this week. BUT I only gained 2 lbs. over Easter. Pretty good I think. I suspect most of it is just me being stupid about poor food choices.
9. Eat healthy - Well, I was doing okay until all this Easter baking started. Lost it for a few days. But the results are enough to get me back on track. I have found a series of GF bread recipes I can bake to cut carb cravings a bit.
10. Exercise 5x/week - Right now I'm getting up and doing 15 minute walks after supper. It is annoying DH. He can deal. I need the exercise.
11. Do affirmations daily. - They are no longer relevant. Need to redo them.
12. Keep a balanced budget for my allowance. - So far, so good.
13. Spend one morning a week in nature. - Not a morning, but I took company twice down to the creek after supper to look around. Also had DH set up the bistro set in the backyard for sitting and enjoying the spring/summer.
14. Continue fibre arts education. Focus on rug hooking. - Nothing on this particular project this week. Though I did watch more of the Internet Rug Camp videos.
15. Build a network of creative people. - Now I have people wanting into the rug hooking group who haven't taken the course. I wonder what part of "this is a group for people who have finished the Wild With Wool class" they do not understand?
16. Acquire teacher training to teach workshops. - This weekend was cooking class again. Taught the girls how to make Ukrainian cheesecake. My friend, who was visiting, taught them how to make a mixed green salad, carrot salad, baked cottage cheese and a baked noodle dish. By the time we added that to the foodstuff we baked/made from the previous two days, we had quite a feast last night!
17. Set up a website to sell e-books and products. - Not happening until I can determine if there is a demand for what I make.
18. Write e-book. - Nothing last week.
19. Do a piece of rug hooking every month. - Finished rug hooking for sale.
20. Learn to take better photographs of my craft projects for selling online. - Nothing new to report for last week.04-10-2012, 03:14 PM #401
16. Acquire teacher training to teach workshops. - thought I'd show you some pictures of the results of my teaching this weekend...and my being taught by a Ukrainian friend.
Our Ukrainian Easter basket for Easter morning....
Our breakfast table half set with food. Ended up with about 3 or 4 types of sausages on there!
Easter Dinner...we had guests...My students made the baked cottage cheese, baked noodle dish, and the salads.
The dessert table... poppyseed chiffon cake, donut holes (a gift from someone), Ukrainian breads (paska and babka), Ukrainian cheesecake, and a fruit tray. My students made the cheesecake.04-10-2012, 07:41 PM #402
What a pretty, delicious looking feast!!04-10-2012, 07:52 PM #403
Thanks Daylily! We enjoyed cooking together and actually had time to sit down and relax a bit before supper. I sent them all home with leftovers. And we still have lots to eat!04-11-2012, 03:03 PM #404
How's everyone doing? Easter is over. Time to get back at it!
I am preparing for my trip stateside this weekend. I found travel insurance for a set fee of $20. The insurance agent was kind enough to give me an extra few days for the same base fee. Good stuff.
I've been cutting out apron patterns to sew when I get back. had to take my serger in for repairs and a tuneup. That will cost $80. But it will be done...
Arranged with a fashion designer friend to sew me a silk dress for dniece's wedding. In exchange I will let him use my sewing room and equipment. His serger is rusted and unusable. I am also providing the fabric, so cost will be minimal compared to most dresses he designs.
Interesting, when I met with him I also showed him the file from my personal shopper experience last year. It was great! He knew right off where I was coming from and what I liked. Said he could work with that alright.
So glad I did the personal shopper thing, even if I did spend a bit more than necessary on it. My fashion designer friend is going to make me a dress that can go anywhere, any time of day. I need a summer dress that can be dressed up or down, and be worn from 4 PM - midnight. I'm thinking semi-casual. We'll see.
This is a young man I've wanted to help for some time with his business and have been unsure how to go about it without it seeming like 'charity'. This is an ideal opportunity to do something for him to help him in his life goals and developing his passions. I'm all about developing passions in life!
What's everyone else up to?04-12-2012, 08:21 AM #405
That sounds like a fun project for both of you!
My focus is on my outside wishes now, for the most part. I'm still plugging away at weeding flower beds. I'm still decluttering the house as time permits. I hope to put in some time writing.
I finished the magazine writing course except for actually completing the 1000 word article but I will keep working on that too.
By peanut in forum Leisure challengesReplies: 558Last Post: 01-02-2012, 07:20 PM
By peanut in forum Leisure challengesReplies: 467Last Post: 12-27-2010, 10:33 PM
By peanut in forum Goals and DreamsReplies: 26Last Post: 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM
By peanut in forum Goals and DreamsReplies: 43Last Post: 01-20-2010, 08:36 AM
By daylily in forum Lifestyle challengesReplies: 3Last Post: 01-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Tags for this Thread