TV SHOW: Consumed (on HGTV Canada)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default TV SHOW: Consumed (on HGTV Canada)

Anyone else catch this show that premiered this week? A professional organizer goes into a cluttered home (similar to Hoarders) and removes everything. Whats your take on it?

The participating family only gets to keep certain items per person living there:

* one place setting worth of dishes
    * one med sized suitcase - if you can fit your clothes & shoes in there and it closes, you get to keep it

And then the family must together decided which 10 non essential items to keep in the house - as a family (not per person). They must live like that for 30 days I think.

They show the house as empty and the family gets used to it and then they decide what to keep/purge and if they will live that way. Kind of extreme but I wonder how well this will work. Seems like a different perspective of the show 'Hoarders'.

Think about it, we all like coming home to a clean & uncluttered house right?

Consumed ? Hosts ? HGTV Canada - HGTV Canada

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~You mean they actually keep everything but it's stored somewhere else for a month? Then they decide what to purge?~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i so wish we had HGTV!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't seen it but I like the concept of purging after getting accustomed to living without it for a month. It really lets the brain rethink it's priorities on stuff then a healthier and hopefully less emotionally charged decision to let go of things can take place.

I'll keep an eye out for it.
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I watched that last night and thought it was pretty good. DH was thinking it was a pretty good idea! LOL! We don't even have that much stuff.

Nuisance--yes, all their stuff gets put into a warehouse, and after the month, they go through it all. It's quite amazing to see how much room it actually takes up! I'm thinking that after a month of living without something, would make it easier to let go of.
    ~Tracy~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't understand why they don't put the family in a hotel for a weekend, clear the house out, throw away all the trash then have the family move back in. Especially when I see the shows where there are kids involved and child services is threatening to take the kids away. My brain screams to the tv things like 'get over yourself, grow up and realize your kids are more important than your garbage'. I just think it's ridiculous to baby someone while they try to decide whether to keep what is literally trash, like bottle caps, used paper plates, furniture broken beyond repair, rotting food items. Then baby them some more when they can't decide what to do, and tell them it's ok, we can put the trash over here in the 'maybe' pile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lottaLove - I think the reason why they don't do that is b/c what is trash to someone else may be valuable to another. Example: seeds for your garden, I'd consider throwing them out - especially if they were homeade in an zip baggy. I can buy the finished product from the grocery store as needed. OR a book. It could have sentimental value to the owner but not the person cleaning up the house - KWIM?

--------------------

I think the premise of the show is great. You do see how much you can live w/o vs before the lady comes into your home to teach you. I know I have 'stuff' around here that needs to be sorted through and tossed but its always easier said then done. And having lived w/o the said 'stuff' for a month - there's no attachment and a realization of 'Why the heck was I keeping THAT?!'.

I liked this weeks episode - the family couldn't even think of 10 non essential things to keep though the poor DD, she was about to have a panic attack when they were counting the phone as one of the things they wanted to keep. (it was later deemed a necessity in case of emergencies)

I hope the other episodes are as motivating and interesting. I know this shows on HGTV and not TLC but I always have a fear of these shows that start out with a bang then turning into a trainwreck/freakshow.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One place setting of dishes? It would be dirty at breakfast and then we'd eat out the rest of the week.

I can see the logic behind it though, you live with bare necessities for 30 days and when you get used to it you reassess your "needs".
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That sounds like it makes more sense than a lot of those shows.

I would lose my mind getting rid of things I haven't used in a while. I've donated a lot and am actively working towards getting rid of the excess, but it means nothing around here not to use something for a year or even several years and then need it or want it and start using it heavily. Case in point (no pun) all the knitting needles I have even though I haven't been much of a knitter. Now, I'm really getting into it and glad not to have gotten rid of everything for lack of use. It's tricky though, deciding what to lose and what to keep. I'm currently looking for a set of circular knitting needles I can't find. I have had them for years and never used them. I suspect I donated them. Every time I go into my sewing room, I think about what the people on those clean-up shows would do if they got in there. So often they seem to talk people out of keeping things the owners have a use for, but the organizers see as worthless. I'd be curious to know how many people regret letting go of the things they get rid of. This new show seems like it might be set up to avoid some of that.

I realize they have to set some sort of time limit to make the show work, but offhand I can think of about seventy-five million things I have around here I might not use in a month that I wouldn't get rid of:
    ~canning supplies and equipment, depending on the time of year.
    ~camping gear, depending on time of year.
    ~our second car.
    ~the TV in my sewing room.
    ~beading supplies, collected over years and costing thousands of dollars to replace.
    ~sewing stuff, ditto.
    ~various tools.
    ~gardening supplies including seeds, depending on season.
    ~snowblower, again, seasonal.
    ~our dock.
    ~endless list, really.

I wonder sometimes how much they take a family's lifestyle into account on the shows, too. In our case (not that those shows would ever come here) we live at the end of the road, literally. It's not always easy to just run to the store and buy something you need. We have no Walmart, no Home Depot, no big stores of any kind. The fabric store is very expensive with limited inventory. So for me, it makes sense to stock my sewing room with spare zippers, buttons, and other items I can't easily get here. I never know what I'm going to need, so if I see something at a garage sale that has potential that I can get for cheap, most likely I'll buy it. So far, that strategy has worked great for me, even though it would be their worst nightmare for one of those designers.

Lottalove, the people who save trash like it's gold are mentally ill, and frankly, I'm sick of shows that exploit people who are victims of mental illness. It seems like that's a growing trend. I don't watch any of them for that reason. It sounds like the new show being discussed in this thread takes a more logical approach and may deal with families who have bad habits rather than mental illness. A step in the right direction, IMO.

I'll have to look for that show.
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 09-01-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for posting this! I've watched all 13 Season One episodes on Youtube and thoroughly enjoyed them. I wish Season Two was up already! Jill Pollack gives lots of good decluttering and organizing tips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I watched the first episode. Thanks for posting that it was on YouTube. It looks like that family is similar to our situation, in that there's a lot of clutter but not dead animals and rotting vegetables and vermin and overflowing toilets, it's just that their clutter got out of control like ours did. I recognized myself a lot in that episode!

I wish that aired in the US. If all the shows are like the first one, then it makes a lot more sense to me than the hoarder shows shown here. They're not as extreme, so it's easier to relate and utilize some of the tips and methods in my own life.

I suspect there are a lot more families like the Edgesons than people realize.

The single best thing we've done to declutter our place was quit going to garage sales and minimize purchases at thrift stores.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like the show Consumed. I don't catch it that often.

I like that they deal with issues. It's similar to Peter Walsh's Clean sweep in the sense that they take it all out. Consumed is better as she first shows them they 'can' do without all the stuff, and deal with why there is attachment to some things. It's always interesting that they get back to the warehouse and it seems they want it all back. But manage to pare it down usually to all reasonable quantity.

I use that method in a way with my dd9. We bring everything into the livingroom, with the exception of her furniture. It's amazing how much collects in a year! But she always joyfully purges. There has been a couple items 6 months down the line that she'd have liked to keep, and typically she doesn't want it so bad that we need to get a new one. She does better than her older sisters.

Consumed is very inspiring.
    Mom to 4 wonderful kiddos. Homeschooling mom
    • FFEF 2/6months
    • Retirement savings to start
    • Mortgage

DEBT, n. An ingenious substitute for the chain and whip of the slave driver.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I wonder sometimes how much they take a family's lifestyle into account on the shows, too. In our case (not that those shows would ever come here) we live at the end of the road, literally. It's not always easy to just run to the store and buy something you need. We have no Walmart, no Home Depot, no big stores of any kind. The fabric store is very expensive with limited inventory. So for me, it makes sense to stock my sewing room with spare zippers, buttons, and other items I can't easily get here. I never know what I'm going to need, so if I see something at a garage sale that has potential that I can get for cheap, most likely I'll buy it. So far, that strategy has worked great for me, even though it would be their worst nightmare for one of those designers.

I'll have to look for that show.
    I totally agree with that point - the whole, its out of necessity to keep things around BUT I think it all depends on HOW you keep it around. Just haphazardly piled to the side or organized and easily accessible for everyone to located if needed w/o it impeding on your daily living and living space. Glad you were able to watch an episode. I haven't heard or seen a second season but I'd love to. I agree its much more helpful then the shocking gross factor of Hoarders. Its just 'stuff' not 'garbage' piled up.

Ever since we re-did the flooring in our lv rm, its stayed empty & clean w/o the boxes of stuff and excess furniture. It kinda looks like we just moved in And both DH & I love it. Open. Inviting. Welcoming. Whereas before we were like "Ugh. We have to get to that sorting project soon" vibe. Sometimes you need to see it empty to really want it to stay that way. Now if only I could apply that to the rest of our living area. Its hard to remember how open the place used to be but once its all gone, we'll be glad to keep it uncluttered & tidy.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I watched the first episode on youtube and was immediately struck by how similar their house is to mine, and I mean the design and floorplan of it, not the mess. It's not a large house and I've got to wonder how they raised 7 kids in a 3 bedroom, 1 bath house. I don't know how my MIL raised two boys here.

One thing they never brought up was the lack of closet space in this floorplan. That tiny master bedroom closet was it. With one in each kid's room and the hall closet there is maybe 40 sq ft of storage space in the *entire* home. That's a 7'x7' area for everything, clothing, toys, linens, vacuum, seasonal clothing, coats, etc. Your bathroom is probably bigger than the storage space in this style home. No wonder there is crap piled everywhere. Not that I am excusing the bags of papers and garbage, but when there's no place to put it away right you can't help but shove it in a corner until you find a solution for it. I've been fighting this same issue for years in my own home. I have long wished for someone to come with a truck and take it all and let us start over.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The papers all over the place reminded me of the mess we found in my mom's house. There's no way she knew where all those papers were or even what she had. I don't think there was a drawer or a box or any type of container that didn't have some kind of paper in it. Crazy time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast