In love with the library!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Red face In love with the library!

~I grew up loving what the library had to offer but in NJ, our county library system deteriorated significantly in the years following the introduction of computers and internet. Don't know if they ran out of money or if they decided nobody wanted actual books anymore. I sure did. The selection of books was terrible(even across the state where they could request to borrow), wait times for holds were insane(waited 6 months for George Bush's biography because they only had two copies for the county), website was dreadful, materials and funding were extremely limited and the service was terrible. I rarely went since they could never get what I wanted to read.
    So before we moved to CO I looked up the library system site and was thrilled to see that I'd be able to borrow books on my Kindle. +1. Movies were current, plentiful and free. +1. The amount of Christian books available has blown me out of the water. +1. The website is easy to use and the hold system is excellent. +1. The system for borrowing and checkout and the service is so outstanding that my DH is using the library for the first time in his life. It's as easy as searching for what you want online, placing a hold and picking it up when it's ready. We can quickly check online to see where we are in the queue and guess when the materials will be ready for us. The library puts the hold materials aside in an accessible area marked with my name and it's all self check-out. This is perfect for anyone who is library-shy! Just Sunday DH put a hold on two new superhero movies and they were available to pick up on Tuesday afternoon. Since the library was closed Monday I'd say that was pretty fantastic.
    So yeah, I am completely in love with the library again!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Always have loved the library. We first lived in a city with no library; then moved to a city that we are walking distance from the library. Now the city I moved from has the most fabulous library ever. We can borrow from them but their patrons are a priority. I can borrow from 3 different library systems and melcat. Love, love, love books and cannot wait for more to be available for kindle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for the post, you reminded me to order some large print editions for my sister.

Our library isn't large but it's a member of a large consortium, I put in requests for holds all the time.
    I have a serious crush on my library ♥

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am also a big fan of the library...I believe we have a good selection of books to choose from and I have used the State wide borrowing system. Not to mention magazines and DVD's I drive by a branch on my way home.
    Steph

FY 2014
    7/25 books read this year
    10/20 no spend days for April

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always loved the library too! Even the tiny one here seemed to have so much to offer because I can borrow from multiple systems as well. The children's summer program, that used to be awesome, has been cut to even less than half of what it was just a few years ago. It went from 8 weeks of a 5 days a week program, down to 4 weeks, of only 3 days. My kids are too big for it now, but I was still sad to see that yet again it's the children in the area that are being hurt by the budget cuts.

Glad you're enjoying your new state and library!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    So yeah, I am completely in love with the library again!~
    My library does it the same way..........for holds, for pick ups, etc. PLUS they have two shelves of adult reading material (toss aways) that is only 25 cents for paperbacks.......and 50 cents for hard backs, and will usually have a few mags. One shelf for children's books! I love my library too!

Plus.......and you might want to check YOUR library (lots of them do this), twice a year we have a library sale. Same prices as the discount shelves but just tables and tables of books.......one day only. I do volunteer work at my library. Love the job but not sure it is such a 'good thing' for me...........we also get first choice for books at the library sale.......... We get X number free for doing the sorting the day before, but most of us usually pay anyway. I sort and work the day of the sale..............have YET to come home empty handed!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cool

18 yrs. ago our library was a new building w/ tattered books but thanks to donations,friends of the library sales and grants from foundations and DTE it is now ever better. They have a great Up to date DVD section and kids computer games section and great reading programs,a good teen club,book discussions and movies veiwing. A lot of the librarians are younger now and the atmosphere is lighter. The best feature is the interlending policy among several libraries. You can order on the computer and pick it up locally. Have to confess not up to date on the kindle downloading so that I am not sure of.

FF-Ds is one of 2 kids that tote out all the books for the sales. And back in storage for what ever the bulk buyers don't grab. They both do it all for $20. whichI think is dirt cheap for the 200 boxes they must carry. I laughed as the older people asked them to sort too last time and he did it but was peeved.lol