here on my patch
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default here on my patch

the season is moving from summer to autumn.  Tuesday marks our first autumn day   and as autumn is my favourite season, I'm happy about that. 

Now is the time that serious gardeners turn off the airconditioning and creep outside to clean up the ravages of summer.  This year's summer was a mild one but there are still a hundred chores to be done outside.  I've been doing some repotting, pruning and canning - apples and peaches, and I'm looking forward to cooler days and nights snuggling under the duvet. 

Is your snow melting or have you noticed other signs that spring is about to spring?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The daffodils are blooming here and our dwarf peach tree has pretty pink buds. A couple of trees have tiny bright green leaves on them. We've had over 5 inches of rain here in the desert since January 1st and we actually have grass and weeds growing like crazy in our yards where normally it is just dirt. It's pretty to see now but it will all die off (except the weeds) as soon as it hits 103 for a few days.

It seems so odd that you are just now going into Autum. Enjoy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

it must be cold if the daffs are blooming, carolyn. It's too hot for them here. Your peach tree sounds lovely. I wish I could see it all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We still have snow on the ground but I have noticed the trees are starting to develop buds. I think the trees use the length of daylight as their "spring" signal rather than how warm it is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Daffodils are blooming here as well, and the "spring peepers" had one warm evening in which to sing recently. It got coldish again and they quit for a couple of days. We actually had snow flurries on Monday. I suspect tonight the peepers will be back as it is in the upper 50s today.

The soft maple trees are blooming and there are lots of dandelions around. And the cardinals and red winged blackbirds are singing a lot. I suspect in 2 or 3 weeks our fruit trees will try to bloom -- I hope they don't get nipped by a frost!

Sunday I planted spinach and beets, and we drooled over the racks of seeds at the feed store. I also bought asparagus and strawberry and rhubarb plants, but think I better wait a couple more weeks to plant them.

Rhonda, its fun to think of you enjoying the warm summer and looking forward to the fall harvest. Soak up the warmth while you can!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jean. I love the cold weather. It must be my irish ancestry.

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm anxiously awaiting the first rhubbarb stalks to make their appearance. The snowdrop flowers are blooming and the grape hyacinths are starting to peak out. We noticed that the spring crocuses are sending out lovely greenery which means the flowers are soon to follow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No signs here...Jean has peepers! I want peepers!
    So glad your favorite season is here Rhonda!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought we would get our peepers back last night since it had been a kinda warm day but they didn't call/sing. I'm sure they were pretty shocked by the periods of 20s we had the couple of days before and just went back into the mud. Maybe this weekend!

When do the barn swallows return to your areas? Or the buzzards? It seems like April is when we get these guys back. Also the scissortailed flycatchers. The winter is not officially over until they all get back!

And I feel like I am counting the days until day light saving time begins again -- it will be light in the evenings!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

While we are still digging out of our biggest snowfall of the winter, I have noticed that the birds are starting to come out and sing. I've even heard the cardinal singing a couple of times. That must mean spring is just around the corner.