Frugal Village Forums banner

What are you reading?

Tags
reading
2K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  Darlene 
#1 ·
I always love to hear about what others are reading. It helps me to pad my "to read" list :toothy:

I finally read "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden, LOVED it!! It was an easier, more enjoyable read than I thought it would be. I just finished "Can You Keep a Secret" by Sophie Kinsella. Hil-freaking-arious!! :laugh:

Now I'm starting "Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking" by Malcolm Gladwell. It's pretty interesting so far.

#4 ·
Just started book three of the Mitford Seris "These High Green Hills" by Jan Karon.

The first two have been wonderful. Can't wait to get into this one.

#6 ·
Oh, I loved the DaVinci code. I keep it at work and when it's slow I read it to make the time go by quicker. I've almost finished it again :)

#9 ·
How to speak Dog. lol, i am re-reading it because Emma and I need a brush up.

#13 ·
Hi Broketeacher and welcome to the Village. :)
I see you have great taste in books. :D
I bet you'll love 'The Tightwad Gazette'! I've read it several times, it's so inspirational.
I also loved, 'Nickeled and Dimed', it really told it like it is for some of America's working poor.
I'm a big Jan Karon fan,too. I loved the Miford series.

#16 ·
I reading one of the most interesting animal behavior books I've ever come across -- Becoming a Tiger. I don't remember the author's name and I left the book in my drawer at work to read on breaks. She's the same one who wrote Why Elephants Weep, but this is much better. Some of the anecdotes are hilarious.

#17 ·
I am reading Blue Dahlia by Nora Roberts, it is the first book of a trilogy titled "In the Garden", great paranormal, suspense, romance and great gardening all rolled into one :). I want to read read the next 2 books of this series, Black Rose and Red Lily and then I am going to read Stephen Coonts "Saucer" .

#20 ·
Im reading a romance novel from the libary, historical 1800's.

#22 ·
I'm reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

#23 ·
I loved Nickled and Dimed as well, but I must say that I find small parts of her argument flawed. As a professor from Key West, I don't think she knew much about stretching her dollar. But it still had extremely valid points.

Anyway I just finished Selling Illness about pharmaceutical companies and their marketing campaigns. It was very good; I couldn't put it down and stayed up late last night to finish it.

Haven't been feeling in a fiction mood lately.

#26 ·
I found my April read. "The Oxford Murders" by Guillermo Martinez. I had never heard of this author or the book but decided to get it from the library anyway.

This is what a Amazon reviewer said, Martinez's THE OXFORD MURDERS brings the reader into two rarefied worlds -- high-level mathematical theory and Oxford University. Don't be intimidated by the mathematical subtext; Martinez makes it quite understandable (said the reviewer who never went beyond geometry). Morever, he's dealing with some of the "sexier" aspects of math: codes, logic, and great mysteries like Fermat's Last Theorem. The mystery itself is creative, although somewhat blandly presented. The characters are interesting enough to make up for the standard narrative format. I would definitely read another Martinez mystery, especially if the setting is Oxford and the focus is math (or "maths," as they say in the UK) :(

Mmm--I may have to re-read "The Grits Guide to Life", not deep, just fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.