PBS: Frontier House, 1940s House, Manor House
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default PBS: Frontier House, 1940s House, Manor House

I noticed on PBS that they are rebroadcasting the special, "Frontier House". If you haven't watched it, I found it to be entertaining and educational. A few weeks ago, I checked out the dvd version from my library and I showed it to my 8th graders. Most of the kids loved it, and for 8th grade, that is saying a lot.

I had watched "Colonial House" on PBS a couple years ago, and I thought that PBS did a good job with that special too.

However, over the weekend, I checked out "Manor House" and "1940's House" and I found them to be just o.k. "Manor House" was less than entertaining, and "1940's House" was just o.k. From an educational point of view, yes, it was good. However, both could put you to sleep if you weren't truly interested in the content.

PBS airs "Ranch House", based in Texas in 1867 the first week of May. That looks like that should be a worthwhile show to watch.

From the frugal point of view, I'm sure glad that I checked out the dvds from the library. I was planning on buying "Frontier House" for my classroom, but I'm glad that I checked with my library to see if they had a copy.

I've requested "1900's House" from the libary, so I'm hoping that it's educational and entertaining. That would be a great to used the last week of school to culminate our history unit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really enjoyed Frontier House and found I felt pretty much the same as you do about the other shows. I did enjoy Manor House. I wasn't aware that PBS is doing another "house" series. I'll look forward to watching it.

Oh yeah, 1900 House is just an "ok" one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I first became aware of these types of shows I thought "great! I will love this!" I've often felt I was born in the wrong time... but every one I've watched was the same... all the people do is complain, as if they had no idea what they were getting into when they signed up....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Shannon, do you think it would be appropriate for my girls? Well, I guess I know them better than you (good long attention spans, interested in the era), but what I'm really asking is: Do you recall any INappropriate, PG stuff?

If you're not sure, I could TiVo and preview them myself, but I thought I'd ask.

TIA!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, it would be fine. The very first episode you would want to fast forward about 5 minutes of it. They do discuss contraception so I would think for the age of your girls, you probably wouldn't want to expose them to it. Otherwise, I think the rest of it would be o.k. However, if you want to be safe, just preview it first, then you'll know if there are parts you want to fast forward.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Anyone else watch these? As I have been using my local library more, I have discovered some really interesting DVD's. Have watched recently 1900's House, Manor House and 1940's House. Have Frontier House ready to watch. In relation to "frugalness", it is really fascinating how much "stuff" we do not need. The rationing aspect was quite an eye opener. Alot of creativeness, made do, and doing without. I doubt I would have lasted 2 days on these reality shows as I do like my cosmetics and hair care stuff....but again, really fascinating to watch how people adapt to their circumstances. I was impressed how well the kids adapted on the "1940's House", kids can find a way to amuse themselves if needed. Really makes me appreciate what I have. If anyone likes documentary /historical shows, I would recommend them. Another reason to visit the library too: I watched some DVD's I might not have thought of previously!