Do not mess with my chocolate~
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wink Do not mess with my chocolate~

Chocolate Lovers: Get It While You Can

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - A blistering rally on cocoa markets is starting to hit the wallets of chocolate lovers, with prices of pure, rich products climbing the most.

Addicts who savor the intense semi-sweet taste of chocolate with high cocoa content are likely to shell out more in coming months as speculators show no signs of curbing a buying frenzy that has kept cocoa prices hovering at 15-year highs.

Prices of other sweets with chocolate coatings, however, are less affected since cocoa is only a fraction of the total contents, while in Germany a price war and weak economy has forced makers to swallow the extra costs.

"The way it looks now we will have to raise our prices considerably again next year," said an official at Dutch premium chocolate maker Droste, which raised prices by four percent earlier this year.

"The rising prices for cocoa...are the topic of the day in our management discussions," said sales and marketing director Henk Bijma.

Droste, the third largest Dutch producer of pure chocolate products, is especially hit by cocoa prices since it specializes in semi-sweet chocolate containing up to 72 percent cocoa mass.

Industry giant Nestle pushed up the cost of chocolate on the Swiss market by an average of 4.5 percent in August, with prices of various products rising between 0.5 percent and seven percent.

Competitors had already hiked prices in March, said Nestle spokesman Marcel Rubin.

Cocoa bean prices have increased steadily over the past two years due to deficits in the supply/demand balance on world markets, but speculative buying has sent them shooting up in recent months.

Earlier this week cocoa bean prices on London markets surged to fresh 15-year peaks, up nearly 50 percent since the start of the year.

On Thursday afternoon, most active second-month futures were trading at around 1,430 pounds ($2,223) per ton, up from 978 at the start of the year and a low of 547 pounds in December 1999.

Cocoa beans, however, are also priced in dollars and the weakening of the dollar against European currencies has helped dampen the rise for many European makers, Nestle's Rubin said.

In Britain, a sweets industry spokesman pointed out that many popular confectionery products contain a range of products including milk, nuts and sugar.

"Cocoa is important, but is nevertheless just one of a number of raw material ingredients in chocolate," said the spokesman for the Biscuit, Cake, Chocolate and Confectionery Alliance.

The British unit of Nestle does not immediately respond to fluctuations in the market price of commodities, a spokeswoman said.

"It is too early to say whether the retail price will be affected in the longer term. We are obviously monitoring the situation very closely," she added.

Chocolate addicts might want to head to Germany, where manufacturers are under pressure to keep prices under control.

"German industry tells me almost every day they would like to raise chocolate prices but they cannot," a cocoa trader said.

"The German economy is in a mess and in bad times people cut down on luxury products like chocolate. Germany's chocolate industry is working well under capacity and retail prices are down," he added.

German market researcher GfK recently estimated German January to end June chocolate sales were down 4.3 percent on the year in volume and down 5.5 percent by value.

Discount supermarkets in Germany have been slashing prices of chocolate as a loss-leader to lure shoppers in.

"Big brands cannot raise prices against such pressure from discount retailers, who are raising their market share. The German chocolate industry is just having to take the cocoa price increase without passing it on," the trader said.
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...m/chocolate_dc
    Ok, here's the plan, we'll all ban together and act like we just do not care. A National No Candy Bar Day. Yeah that's it. It'll catch them all by surprise and they will not even consider raising the costs ever again. LOL
    Pleeeeease don't mess with my chocolate.

Sara
    Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on:
    Pinterest

A monumental event can happen any day." --Peale
    "Leap and the net will appear. --John Burroughs

Would the child you once were be inspired by the adult you've become?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL Sara... you're too funny.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK Sara, but just for 1 day !!! I can't take anymore than that.....LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know it is very unfrugal of me, but I just got home from the mall. I spent $30.00 on gourmet chocolate! Please, don't kill me! I didn't know, honest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kelly... we won't kill you.... as long as you share.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh my I want some of that chocolate too AandAmom! Please!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Party at Kelly's!!

lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm, after reading this, I think a trip to the Russell Stover Outlet is in order. Must stock up on this, too! Prepping does have it's moments

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ONE WHOLE DAY??????????? the whole thing?????????? well i need to know when so i can go the day before LOL we sure do know what is important in life do we not. who said give me chocolate or give me death, oh right that would have been me.

Registered User Lori Biever-Launder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gee, there is an Almond Roca factory about 200 miles from me. I wonder if I should make the trip and stock up on miswraps (dirt cheap!) for the big "drought"?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yah and then pass it around Lori didn't your mum ever tell you it isn't nice to keep chocolate from the rest of us.LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I recently hid a Hersheys Chocolate Bar in the fire proof document safe in our computer room. We have two of them and a bigger safe.

How in the world ds found it I will never know but he did and he confessed to me that he ate my chocolate bar. At that time I said oh, that's ok, but now I'm like "what!, you ate my chocolate bar?"

It just all depends on the time of the month for me. Ds, at 16 says he already knows from girls at school how much chocolate means to them. LOL He won't do that again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok, no one better mess with my chocolate either! A Michelle without chocolate is a very, very unhappy Michelle indeed!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you guys are so funny!!