Frugal Village Forums banner

No cost /low cost clothes

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Luv2BeFrugal 
#1 ·
I am new here so if this has already been posted forgive me. I am a seamstress by trade. I have not worked out of the home for years. Just me and hubby home now. I have four granddaughters from 19-13. They all want the latest fashions and we find that the latest is not always in the budget. The 15 yr old g-daughter and I have started making knock-offs. We visit stores that she would like to buy at and then go home to make a copy of items. She has even started designing colthing. The 60's and 70's are back so we frequent thrift stores and garage sales to get skirts and jean jackets for pennies on the dollar. She finds "old ladies" skirts and makes high waisted versions to fit. The jean jackets, she cuts off just below the bust and makes short sleeves out of them. She just let the edges fray. She used a q-tip dipped in bleach to write french phrases on the back. Very stylish and cheap. We also buy clothing with a lot of fabric in them if we find them for 25 to 50 cent. Combine the to make short gored skirt. I realize them not many people sew these days but it doesn't take much skill. Try it. My granddaughter makes large cloth purses for use as purse/book bag. she has sold quite a few at school. Easy money making tip.We now consider ourselves as the queen and princess of remake/redo.

#2 ·
~Welcome to FV!
I've been refashioning since I was a teenager too. It's a cheap way to express your artistic side!
Have you checked out Wardrobe Refashion ( http://nikkishell.typepad.com/wardroberefashion/ )? Their members take a pledge to not buy any new clothing. They are allowed to purchase secondhand. They refashion items and post pictures! I like to peruse everyone else's ideas when my creative tank is running low.~

#4 ·
Wow! How cool! I'm not very talented when it comes to sewing, I can barely work a sewing machine, and can't sew a straight line if my life depended on it. But I love that you are able to "refashion" clothing, that is so cool! It's a way to customize all your clothing, and make it fit perfectly and always get what you want! I'm very jealous!

#7 ·
I would love to be able to do this. I can't sew a straight line on a sewing machine to save my life! But it sounds like you get some awesome quality time with your granddaughters! :D

#8 ·
remake/redo, I think you're selling yourself way short! :
>>I realize them not many people sew these days but it doesn't take much skill. <<

I have tried to sew but just can't do much more than the very basics. Give yourself credit where credit is due, especially for the creativity and initiative. You go, girl!

~Mary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.