Using only 1/2 challenge....
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Using only 1/2 challenge....

i don't know if this is in the right challenge 'catagory' but since it covers every aspect of your life i thought it good to be here...

how about a challenge to ourselves to use just 1/2 of what we would normally use each day....

be it food/toothpaste/laundry det/gas for the car/tv watching time/shower time...and on and on....whatever you are eating, doing, watching, thinking...do it, use it 1/2 .....

like this morning....

--dh only had 1 piece of toast with his eggs instead of 2
    --i used 1/2 the amount of jelly i normally do
    --he got a smaller size glass of milk
    --ate 1/2 banana/dh ate the other half
    --using 1/2 the splenda packets in oatmeal/tea
    --gave my kitties 1/2 the amount of can food (don't worry...they beg for can food all day long..and always get it)
    --gave only 1/2 the treats for 'dessert' after b-fast...(spoiled brats)
    --i used 1/2 the amount of toothpaste on my brush..1/2 mouthwash
    --1/2 the amount of moisturizer on my face
    --ran the water 1/2 the amount of time
    --used 1/2 the amount of toilet paper
    --only had the x-mas trees lit up 1/2 the time this morning
    --packing for vacation...lined up the clothing and then took 1/2 away
    --emptied my purse...eliminated 1/2 the stuff
    --ran the furnace 1/2 the time this morning..only bumped it up 1/2 the temp i normally would have
    --have run the fireplace 1/2 the time this morning...currently lying in a sleeping bag as i type this

so you see...all the normal day to day stuff adds up and if before you do something you think "can i half this" and can...then do.....

and you can take this on outside...can i drive 1/2 as much...1/2 as far...spend 1/2 as much for something....

--wash stuff 1/2 as much...
    --cleaning supplies, laundry/dishwasher det 1/2 as much...
    --taking showers 1/2 the time...
    --watching mindless tv by 1/2...(or cut the time into doing 2 things...paying 1/2 less attention)....
    --electricity cut to 1/2 the time being run

so that's my latest challenge that i am going into 2010 with...anyone care to join me ....????

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like an interesting challenge. I started doing something similar to this a year ago. Just started cutting back and realized I didn't need as much. I don't know if I could 1/2 things again! Maybe food. I'd like to loose a couple pounds

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well some things are just not going to work being cut by 1/2...so you will just have to make the necessary adjustments for you....if stuff is not coming clean, obviously you can't cut...if you are running out of gas and having to walk...maybe 1/2 cut was too much .....if you are fainting on the floor...for heaven's sake...eat more!....haha

do what works for you....

i too cut back drastically on 90% of the stuff i was using over the course of this past year....and then i realized that i didn't die from it...i am going to try and see if there is anymore room for reductions (without total hardship people....)......

for instance i just ate 1/2 the amount of veggie soup for lunch...

and while i have not cut my hot tea consumption today i am cutting the 'cut' lemons in half and using the tea bag twice (making a bag last two cups, essentially cutting it in 'half')....

and i've been looking around my DR/FR and realizing that with the x-mas decor i just put up/around-- by removing some of the furniture from the rooms (not quite 1/2...maybe 1/4) that they seem more open and airy...i may not put the stuff back after x-mas is over....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay! I'm game. I just made 1/2 a pot of coffee, instead of the whole thing!

June grocery challenge $114.99/$400

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like this challenge. Especially the food one. I would definately benefit from that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This sounds like a great idea! I probably won't be able to do half on all things, but I love the idea of reducing our use of things.
    If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. ~Abigail Van Buren

I have learned that the three most loving words are “I love you,” and the four most caring words for those we love are “We can’t afford it.” ~Robert D. Hales

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great idea and an interesting mental exercise - Mahalo SVS - love the way your mind works!! It really does seem very liberating!!

It is also going to be interesting to see what everyone comes up with that works for them!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Great idea and an interesting mental exercise - Mahalo SVS - love the way your mind works!! It really does seem very liberating!!

It is also going to be interesting to see what everyone comes up with that works for them!!
    thanks maui....and to think most people just think i am 'plain nuts'...lol.....

so glad to hear that you are recovering well....we missed you here...

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like this idea. I remember someone saything that they fix their plate of food and only eat 1/2.
    This can work for me when I am faced with reducing clutter. I feel overwhelmed but if I clear out like 1/2 a box at a time, then I am more productive.
    Thanks!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This sure saved me tonight when DH were eating leftovers from our sped dept party at school today. I truly only ate half of what I normally would and feel so righteous!! Enjoyed every bite!! Now if I stay away from snacking later tonight!!

I am going to get highly involved in writing Christmas cards for the rest of the evening!!
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've just started setting the washing machine temp 1 setting lower than it says on the garments - thus cutting the electricity use in half.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ooooooh Good challenge! I'll try! Not sure if everything will be half, and some things may be more than half, but I'll get it figured out! I'm all about saving money, time, etc...as much as I can! So far today:

I used half the heat this morning that I would normally do

It's still early, but I will keep this challenge in my mind all day, and try to keep up with it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For some reason, my PT yesterday gave me only half a session- do you think he's reading this thread? LOL

I'm wearing the slacks I wore yesterday again today - saves one washing.

Had two cups of tea from one teabag last night

Had 1/2 glass of soda yesterday by using twice the amount of ice cubes.

Absolutely draw the line at using 1/2 the amount of deodorant!! oh, TMI I guess

Looking forward to seeing some more inspirational ideas guys!!

— Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

took a hot bath today and used 1/2 the water i normally use...can't say i spent only 1/2 the time though...i will have to work on that one...lol

packed my toiletries for the trip...only taking about 1/2 as normal.....

see everyone thurs......

by the way...my 1/2 challenge is off why i am at the 'all-inclusive'... i am changing it to 'twice as much'....lol.....

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I need to do that with food--I'm not gonna wait until New Years !

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast