2013 Frugal Challenge! - Page 10
Page 10 of 140 FirstFirst ... 789101112132060110 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    Being super frugal today.

Brought my own coffee, breakfast, lunch and snacks to work.
    Walked from home -> train and from the train -> work and back again.
    All lights out and temperature decreased (automatically)
    Cooking chicken noodle soup on a slow cooker at home while I work (using up some older veggies)
    No spending today.
    Walking exercise instead of gym membership.
    Deleted all enticing "spend here!! " emails
    Cancelled my hair appointment this month and pushed it to next month stretching my hair care dollars.
    Cancelled the dog groomers this month and will give her my own bath and brushing stretching dog care dollars.
    Reading 'frugal living for dummies"Frugal Living for Dummies: Deborah Taylor-Hough: 9780764554032: Amazon.com: Books for helpful hints that I might not already know about.
    Leaving that book out for my adult DD to pick up and read.

Cheers!
    Wow ~ I think we may have just reformed you after all !!! You are rockin' it girl!

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Stayed home all day - no driving

Baked 2 loaves banana bread, pan of brownies & 3 1/2 doz choc chips this morning - would have made more, but I ran out of butter.

All meals from the kitchen

Cleaned my carpet in LR (actually I call it freshening - coz I use vinegar & water) - I do it once a month, as I have an off-white/cream color, low shag carpeting that runs thru my house, and it tends to collect dust (as I like to call it). The better I take care of it, the longer it will last and stay new looking.

Worked on the sewing machine for a bit making dog toys for farmers market this summer.
    Took surveys for a few $$'s, read blogs - surfed...

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So not frugal today. DD is still sick and I took her to the walk in to make sure it wasn't strep ($20 copay) then to the store for some items to help ease throat pain (popsicles, cough drops, tea). Thankfully it wasn't strep. Oh, and a smoothie from the fancy smoothies place on the way home from the Dr. office

* we did eat lunch at home (leftovers)
    * packed a lunch for DS
    * not strep so no RX needed
    * will be making dinner
    * lights are off
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

*Took lunch to work today
    *Still living the 1 car lifestyle (I hate it)
    *Qualified for a focus group - will pay $125!!!
    *Did a load of laundry in cold
    *Dinner last night was leftovers

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

* Took lunch to work
    * no spend day
    * Ate leftovers...again

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No spend, no driving
    Eating from freezer and pantry
    Furnace at 67 daytime, 63 at night
    Living Single and Loving it!
    EmilyD

Savings goals:
    2014 Change Jar Challenge (New, smaller clothes) $0/$500.00 (turned in 6/2/14 $118.00 for another purpose)
    52 Week Money Challenge (Christmas 2014): $0.00/$1378.00 in a year (need to save 275.00 to make it by Nov. )
    Emergency Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin (167.00 pm to make it by Dec)
    House Repair Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin
    Car Repair Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin
    Medical Expenses $0.00/$1000.00
    Dental Expenses $0.00/$1000.00

My Challenges:
    2014 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge 1 @ wk 16/52
    2014 Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge
    2014 Household Purge/Declutter Challenge
    2014 Emergency Fund Challenge
    2014 Twenty Wishes Challenge
    2014 Reading Challenge 11/52
    2014 Change Jar Challenge

52 Week Saving Challenge W1-$1, W2-$2, W3-$3, $W4-$4, W5-$5, W6-$6, W7-$7, W8-$8,W9- $9, W10- $10 W11-$11, W12-$12, W13-$13, W14-$14, W15-$15, W16-$16 W17-$17, W18-$18, W19-$19, W20-$20 , W21-$21, W22-$22,W23-$23, W24-$24, W25-$25, W26-$26, W27-$27, W28-$28, W29-$29, W30-$30, W31-$31, W32-$32, W33-$33, W34-$34, W35-$35, W36-$36, W37-$37, W38-$38, W39-$39, W40-$40, W41-$41, W42-$42, W43-$43, W44-$44, W45-$45, W46-$46, W47-$47, W48-$48, W49-$49, W50-$50, W51-$51, W52-$52

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thursday
    ~ stayed home all day
    ~ no spend day
    ~ worked outside, cleaned back and rearranged furniture to give it a fresh look. Decided to repaint the picnic table this spring. After 15 years in the elements it is looking a little rough.
    ~ Used the rest of the homemade sausage DH's brother gave us to make red beans & rice for dinner.
    Bad news: the upper spray arm in our dishwasher broke, as in the plastic piece that attaches it to the top rack sheared off. Don't know if it is fixable or not. We are without a dishwasher for now...not looking forward to it as there are 5 of us here all day and I cook from scratch a lot. I love having a dishwasher.

Friday
    It is a nasty rainy, chilly day. Plan on staying home as much as possible.
    ~ laundry in hm detergent
    ~ heat set at 65
    ~ The adjuster from the car accident came by this morning. Silly insurance company refused to use our $1030 estimate we had already gotten from our body shop. Instead their adjuster came in with $1400. We will be getting the check next week.
    ~ Went to the bank and finally set up the checking account that is only for bill paying. I am really tired of our general household money blending with the money set aside for bills.
    ~ Set up payment for the BIG bill we have on Tuesday. Leaves us very little for next week so: cashed in change jar ($28) and pulled out the grocery gift card we got for Christmas and will be taking the 8 glass milk bottles back for refund. This will be our grocery money for next week.
    ~ Spending the day teaching the kids and working on clothing in my sewing room. The sooner I get them done the sooner I get my second payment.
    Amy

Wife to one hardworking man
    Homeschooling mom
    Three girls 14,11 & 9
    one boy 7

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Taking leftovers to work.
    brought in my own brekkie, coffee, lunch and snacks to work.
    Reusable containers used.
    Listening to a CD which was borrowed from the library
    Reading a library book on 'BeCentsAble"
    drinking water (in a reusable glass)
    Drinking coffee in reusable mug
    all lights out at home - with the heat automatically lowered
    No spending today
    waiting on a full load of wash to start the machine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Had a Dr's Appt today in another city, that meant a chance on picking up much needed items that we were out of. Made a list, made a plan - and stuck to both. Did a mystery shop that paid $20 (to pay for the gas) - brought my own hot tea in the morning, granola bar & water for lunch. Ran the route so there was no back-tracking or wasted time or gas. Did a few returns along the way. Actually came home with more money than I left with (+ all the necessary items on the list).

Another quiet night at home. Dh is out of town. So early to bed, early to rise makes a more productive chicken in the morning. Will craft until said bed wins out. Probably another documentary on netflix under the covers.

Went to bed about 6:30 last night. Layed under warm electric blanket and watched No-Impact Man on Netflix on the computer. All lights off, heat down super low, kitties cuddled up for warmth & friendship.

Last 2 days all meals from the kitchen. Heck, this entire year - all meals from the kitchen... I am on a roll!

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My Friday off work & I'm not doing much today. It's snowing, gusts of 35 mph and a windchill of -2.

* No spend day
    * No drive day
    * Ate the last of the leftovers for lunch
    * Thawing a chicken to bake for dinner. Going to use the last of the fresh potatoes, make gravy from the chicken drippings, homemade bread and a veggie of some sort.
    * Received an escrow over payment check - $176.02. Because of this the bank lowered my payment by $18/month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, today was a big spending day for me. I also took the day off from work because I needed a mental health day and we had a doctor appointment for DS#1.

*Ate all meals at home. Lunch was the last bit of broccoli corn chowder, so none of it was wasted.
    *Doing laundry in cold using a detergent sample on express wash. Three loads.
    *Printed and used $9 in ToysRUs dollars. I bought the baby food pouches I like that were on sale and 2 baby gates. The baby gates were B1G150% off. Total spent for 20 pouches and 2 gates was $50.
    *Went to CVS and stocked up on the CVS brand b1g150% off stuff - cotton balls and quips - and also vitamins that were b1g1f. Used $2 in ECB's.
    *Drinking reheated coffee all day
    *Won another Allure contest
    *Sorted through my coupon box

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

TGIF

* DD was back to school today (yay!) and packed a lunch
    * using coupons at Fred Meyer I got the following for under $9: 1 box barilla pasta, 3 cans hunts tomatos, bottle of sparkling water (free), 2 Dreyers ice cream, bag of bulk popcorn
    * stocked up on some shampoo and first aid items at Rite Aid
    * $10 rebate check in the mail
    * refinance is finalized, mortgage payments are dropping by $600 per month.
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, we had all of our meals from home this week. Good stuff.

Today I worked, then taught a piano lesson after school, which brought in $25, which is a good thing, as I'm putting all piano $$ away for the Disney trip.

I packed up my latest eBay sale and will take it to the PO tomorrow.

The kids are all having a dance party in the other room while I continue to figure out how to get some things shipped as cheaply as possible to Canada.

I've emptied the backpacks, oohed and aahed over the papers, then threw them away, emptied the lunchboxes and stored them for the weekend, and my kitchen is clean.

I'll probably read, catch up on some DVR shows and play Words With Friends while hanging with DH after DS1 goes to bed and the big kids head to the basement to watch their Friday night Disney shows.

All in all, a pretty darn good Friday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Telephus44 View Post
    Well, today was a big spending day for me. I also took the day off from work because I needed a mental health day and we had a doctor appointment for DS#1.

*Ate all meals at home. Lunch was the last bit of broccoli corn chowder, so none of it was wasted.
    *Doing laundry in cold using a detergent sample on express wash. Three loads.
    *Printed and used $9 in ToysRUs dollars. I bought the baby food pouches I like that were on sale and 2 baby gates. The baby gates were B1G150% off. Total spent for 20 pouches and 2 gates was $50.
    *Went to CVS and stocked up on the CVS brand b1g150% off stuff - cotton balls and quips - and also vitamins that were b1g1f. Used $2 in ECB's.
    *Drinking reheated coffee all day
    *Won another Allure contest
    *Sorted through my coupon box

I have tried those darn Allure contests and have never won a thing. I must be doing something wrong
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First week back from vacation and i wasn't as frugal as I wanted to be.
    Had to buy a vaporizer but now i have it when i need it
    Did buy lunch twice because i just could get my act together to bring lunch

Came straight home from work last night so no spending. Hoping not to leave the house all weekend.
    Went grocery shopping this week and hoping to make it last two weeks but will have to pick up a couple of things.
    Reading a book my sister gave me for xmas and have many tv shows to catch up on this weekend.
    Did start a spending journal this year
    Steph

FY 2014
    7/25 books read this year
    10/20 no spend days for April