Frugal challenge: Add to your frugal skillset
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Frugal challenge: Add to your frugal skillset

Pick one NEW thing to work on for November. Something that you don't already do. Either a new skill that will result in saving you money. Or pick one of the many tips you've learned here and do it for the first time for your household.

What I've learned is that if I try to do everything frugal at once, I get overwhelmed and end up nowhere. If I pick one area to work on and get that under my belt and part of our routine, then I can go on and add another. And months from now, I don't even realize how many frugal things we do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok, I'm going to pick drinking water....
    I'm a big Dr. Pepper junkie. I have been having one of these yummy drinks every morning as my morning "coffee" and then try to steer away from them for the rest of the day. BUT I was going on to drink sweetened tea or something for the rest of my daily drinking, + a few glasses of water. My one thing for November is to drink mainly water. I've skipped 2 days already of Dr. Peppers and I'm not swearing them off completely but I am trying very hard to limit the number for the whole month.

Next....?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been very slack of late, too many prepacked snacks for the kids and lunchbox stuff, so this is an area I really need to work on again. So mine will be more baking and less buying!!

I am having an operation mid November which will see me out of action for a week, so things might get a bit wobbly, but I am going to make a real effort with this.

Thanks ironmaiden

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to work on being more organized in November. Things have been crazy, busy in my life the past few months and I've been having to let some things slide. I'm always much more frugal when things are organized and running smoothly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to work on cooking from scratch more often. We have been buying too many prepackaged snacks, and meals. So, this is what I will work on! Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm, I'd pick bringing my lunch to work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to say that I am going to stay away from walmart for the entire month of November. I bought my groceries at the grocery store yesterday and only spent $45 which is well below my weekly budget, however I had to pick up things like shaving cream for DH, shampoo and conditioner, etc and at walmart it came to $41 which is crazy to spend that much and not even get any food...so I am going to avoid it this month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cooking from scratch, which will include bringing lunches from home.

If I had to pick a second, it would be to drink more water/tea and less coffee during the day. Thank goodness I don't have a soda habit - this one is bad enough.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have really slacked off using coupons.  We do have a grocery that doubles, but I haven't found a good system of cutting and organizing them and usually end up not using them.  I need to start using them again and especially now, with all the holiday baking, etc coming up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a wonderful challenge. Thank you for posting it.

I'm going to work on two things in the kitchen. The first is yogurt making. The second is bread - either totally in the bread machine, or else using the dough cycle, then finishing up by hand. I would really like to be able to make a bread that the dd's could use for PB&J sandwiches. Dh may want to stick with store-bought, but the girls can be converted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to make most dinners from scratch - I have ingreadients for the month so there is no excuse.

I've also been toying with the idea of making wooden candle holders/lamps for xmas presents for a couple of people - I'm going to make myself do that - I have wood, just need to do some drilling and sanding and buy a few cheap attachments!
    Rachael
    Wife to Dec
    Mum to Ciara, Jamie and Jack

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always have a hard time starting something "big" right around the holidays, so I'm going to try not going to the vending machine at work for the whole month of November. I bought 3 12-packs of my favorite soda at the grocery store last week, I usually bring my lunch, but often times right around 3pm I "need" a candy bar and a soda - I'm going to use the soda I already purchased (.28 a can versus .75 a can from the machine) and just try and avoid the candy bars!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sara, I have the same problem/weakness, the vending machine at work. I will also join in this challenge by avoiding the vending machine at break time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would have to say getting organized and staying that way!

I misplaced a bill this month and ended up with a late fee due to my lack of organization recently!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to start menu planning and limiting the grocery purchasing. When I do this our grocery bills go down and I stay out of the grocery store more. There's just been too many days where it is the end of the day and it's "uh.. what's for dinner". And when I go grocery shopping stuff just lands in my cart.
    I used to inventory the pantry and the freezer and write a list of dinners - I'd make two lists easy dinners and dinners that required more time. And cross stuff off as I used up the ingredients.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast