Weekly frugal challenge 9-24 through 9-30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Weekly frugal challenge 9-24 through 9-30

I haven't seen this started anywhere else so I thought I would.

- washed some ziploc baggies, I could do this constantly, I don't know how we go through so many.

- made homemade salad dressing

- leftovers for dinner tonight

- made a menu for the week

- had ramen noodles for lunch, not my favorite, but I am trying to cut costs and figure that once a week I can eat ramen for lunch and that is my meal for a total of $.14

- went apple picking and got 66 pounds of apples for $.70 a pound

- we didn't drive dh's car at all for the whole weekend

- reserved some books at the library for school this week

- washed 2 loads of laundry in cold water

Jennifer
    Jennifer

ds 14
    dd 12
    ds 10
    dd 8

My blog - www.gettingaheadblog.com

Savings Challenge

Furnace $0/$3000

Family Reunion Beach Vacation $100/$3000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~a/c off
    ~hanging laundry to dry
    ~drinking water
    ~taking lunch to work
    ~yesterday, used 4 free movie tickets to see Gridiron Gang for free (DH, DS#2, DS#3, and I)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For 9/25 -

*Washed one load of laundry in cold and hung to dry.

*I got a library card today and checked out two books. In the old days, I would have just ordered them from Amazon.

*I needed new front brakes and DH had a mechanic friend do them on the side. It was only $100 for something the brake shops would have charged $200 plus for.

*Dinner at home.

*Washed my hair today with free shampoo and conditioner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~ stayed very close to home this weekend....only drove for one of DS activities and church...both close to home
    ~ cooked all weekend and no shopping
    ~ finished cleaning up the kids stuff and did a couple more areas of the house
    ~ baked bread, cookies, etc. all at once while the oven was hot. gave some of my goodies to DH's family (parents and his cousin) and the cousin gave me 2 bunches of bananas and a bunch of fresh corn.
    ~ kids had a lot of fun playing with a friend that came over and playing with all their toys/crafts that we "found" while cleaning
    ~ it rained some today....free car washing lol!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had to run into the "city" today (70 miles each way) so I combined many errands and did some thrift store shopping to boot. I found lots of goodies, including 2 nice men's jackets for Gripey for a whopping $5 each.

To keep costs down I also:

~poured up my own water bottles to drink during the day
    ~ate lunch before I left home
    ~took my own snack so I wouldn't be hungry and slip up on my eating plan or be tempted to buy something
    ~planned my drive through town to save gas (well I got lost once and then once a place I was going to was closed and I ended up going the longest ways possible both times)
    ~scored big time on blueberries (I've been paying through the nose for them at United ---$3.99 for 4.5 ounces...it's terrible but I'm addicted to them in cereal in the morning. I got 4 lbs. at Sam's for about $27, I'm gonna freeze em )
    ~got some other great fruit at Sam's for great prices too

Gripey just tried on his dress jackets and one fit, the other didn't. So I'm out $5 as I'll donate it back to the thrift store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, trying to jump in where I am!

*Breastfed all day today (no formula supplemental feedings)
    *Continued working through all of the baby shower presents. I got duplicates of some things so I looked up the return policy, I can get store credit for a few things (don't need three "baby care" kits - one will be fine!)
    *Got a survey check for $25
    *Added my son to my health insurance (cost goes from $86/month to $124/month, but this will save us money in the end)
    *Called HR about my job termination (I'll post the whole story in another thread). I am still considered an employee until I return from maternity leave - I will be able to collect 6-12 weeks of short-term disability which is 60% of my pay, and after that ends, I will receive 5 weeks severance at 100% plus 2 weeks of vacation pay. I'll also be receiving some sort of check for my pension (I'm estimating around $800). I checked online and my check for this month is still at full pay for the whole month. So Owen arriving early got me an extra $2700-$5575 in pay, plus an extra 6-12 weeks of health insurance without having to pay COBRA!
    *Got a free formula sample and coupon in the mail
    *Sorted through all of my coupons and free baby samples, filed them away in my coupon organizer
    *Did not eat out today (won't be eating out much anymore!) - lunch/dinner was a lasagna brought over by some of our friends yesterday
    *Listed some coupons for trade
    *DH had to attend a funeral that was an hour and a half drive away, so he took my car instead of his truck for better gas mileage
    *Used my cell phone to make an LD call instead of the landline

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I'm not nearly as good at this as everyone else here and a lot of things I don't have to do because of the "weird in a good way" living arrangement I have worked out but this is what I'm working on for this week.

-hit up a warehouse sale and got some of my Xmas shopping out of the way
    -went through my makeup and got rid of "expired" or seldom used products so that I can see if I have an item instead of buying a second or third one inadvertently.
    -switched my cats to a different cat box "filler". I'm not entirely sure that it will be cheaper so I'm having to keep track to verify whether or not I end up saving.
    -packed several lunches ahead of time (freezing the extra ones)
    -booked my car maintenance using a coupon I found (plus I'll get a free watch which is cheesy but will do just fine until Xmas rolls around and I can ask my family to replace my old and constantly dying watch)
    -my rent includes utilities but I do my laundry in cold water to avoid shrinking my clothes so they continue to fit me

I think that's it. I'll have to get cracking and get more done.
    -Liz
    Plenty of income, plenty of savings but I'm spinning as my previous financial goals have changed and I'm still trying to work out my new plan of attack.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Saturday
    ~Well I came home Saturday morning from the hospital. Mom brought some lunch/dinner.
    ~No money spent, except for gas and water on the drive home. I was so dry from the anesthesia.

Sunday
    ~Dh bought two newspapers for coupons.
    ~Dh and mom helped me get my hair washed (first time since surgery).
    ~My mom made some great crockpot chicken, veggies, rice, and biscuits for lunch.
    ~Did send Dh out to get some pizza for supper
    ~My mom washed a whole bunch of clothes that I had been ignoring and hoping they would go away! She even folded them for me.

Monday
    ~Sent Dh out for breakfast but it was combined with a run to the pharmacy . That's the last of doing that. Going to be more frugal the rest of the week.
    ~Got a get well bouquet from a coworker. I combined it on my entertainment center with the get well bouquet from my mom, dad, and dh. Also have a boquet of roses from my mother.
    ~Had a crockpot dinner of chicken and rice. Gotta get more veggies in my meals!
    ~Signed up for some freebies.

~Got a computer monitor and a digital camera that have died. Need to get with Freecycle. Need to get rid of some old matresses and an old recliner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

today i have

sold 3 books at work (we have a bulletin board on our email) for $15

went to the 'warehouse' cheapo shop and bought 4 red christmas baskets for my nieces (i will put their gifts in them) for 47cents each

cheapo lunch at home and leftovers for dinner

plan to bake some granola bars for the kids tonight

plan to find some more stuff to sell at work (so i can afford some petrol as i have to take the kids on a three hour drive this weekend to see their dad, and three hours back - that's about $70)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi! I am new on the board but would like to join this fun thread.
    I spent Sunday making a pot of turkey and rice soup for our lunches this week. (I bought turkey thighs on sale for about $1.75)
    Made blueberry cornbread and chicken and dumplings for dinner.
    Got together 2 boxes of books to sell to the used book/cd shop. Will get store credit for xmas gifts.
    Will list a few books for sale on a different forum.
    Trying to stretch groceries out until the 29th when we get paid.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Monday 9/25

~ washed dishes by hand
    ~ finished my dad's xmas blanket
    ~ started my mom's xmas gift (a needlepoint eyeglass case)
    ~ all meals at home (dh is still out of town, so this is really hard for me)
    ~ accepted all kinds of cool home decor hand-me-downs from my mom
    ~ clipped all coupons / sorted into the *me* pile & the *usmc-japan* pile
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

- used my 2 crockpots to make applesauce today and then canned 7 quarts of it.

- combined errands and hit the library on the way home from picking up ds

- had leftover pizza for lunch today

- dd #2 used the potty 5 or 6 times today, it seems we are on a roll and maybe we will be out of diapers soon (for her anyway)

- went for a walk for exercise

- took a good old fashioned remedy to help with my cold and sore throat - minced garlic in a teaspoon of honey, much cheaper and better for you than cold medicine
    Jennifer

ds 14
    dd 12
    ds 10
    dd 8

My blog - www.gettingaheadblog.com

Savings Challenge

Furnace $0/$3000

Family Reunion Beach Vacation $100/$3000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Had an early start today because of an impromptu pillow fight between my girls this morning.
    ~drinking water
    ~eating breakfast and dinner at home, dh got us to eat out for lunch, I really need to get on him about that.
    ~Bought some clasps and beads to make some bracelets, Christmas gifts.
    ~Tomorrow starts my no-spend week
    ~Was going to take ds out for ice cream, remembered that we had ice cream at home, topped it with choc sauce we have, he LOVED it.
    ~Making some birthday presents for my niece. Then making a bday card for my friend's son's 1st birthday.
    ~Got a check from our loan company today that we paid off, $258, that is always nice.
    ~Pulled out pork chops for dinner tomorrow, gonna find a nice recipe for those.
    ~Working on putting dinner together right now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~clipped coupons and filed them
    ~made homemade pizza for dinner
    ~a/c off...fans on

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tuesday, Sept. 26th...

*All meals at home (leftovers and sandwiches)
    *Taking a look at my personal spending habits to see what I can cut back on. I've already identified two things (having my nails done in a salon and my coffee shipments)
    *Breastfed all day today
    *Almost finished sorting all of the shower gifts. I've only identified three things that I don't want, two of which I can return for credit (all three items are duplicates). I plan on using the credit plus some GCs to purchase a breast pump.
    *Got yet another basket of baby goodies today, courtesy of the NY Sales office of my company (thanks, guys!)
    *DH did the laundry, used 1/2 the detergent and we made sure to throw in all of our whites in addition to Owen's things
    *DH got another 2 hours of contract work today ($55/hr)
    *Using an electric heating pad instead of Thermacare wraps for my aches

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast