not going back to commerical detergent - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried homemade laundry detergent, but had a problem with grease spots not being removed, even when i used oxy clean with it. Although the recipe I used was not the same as yours. Maybe I'll give it another try with your recipe and see how it goes.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Have made both the liquid and the powder. I am using a powder version that was recently posted here. It has the oxygen cleaner in it. Like oxy-clean. So far so good and it smells good too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make up a powder but mix it in hot water before I put it in my front loader. I have a small house and I don't have the room for a bucket of laundry soap sitting in my kitchen.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 0

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2-3 View Post
    I used a small food processor to grate the soap. Then I added the borax and washing soda. It was much easier this way than hand grating.
    If you have one and are planning on making HM soaps this is the ONLY way to IMO!!! So fast and easy...saves your fingertips thats for sure!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The HM laundry soap did not clean my clothes well and left a residue in my washer. Now I use 1/2 HM and 1/2 store bought until it is used up.

After that I am going to purchase Charlies Soap. It was recommended by Grainlady. You can purchase online and possibly locally. I found it locally and it is cheaper than buying online because of the shipping (added into the price of the soap).
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by savvy_sniper View Post
    The HM laundry soap did not clean my clothes well and left a residue in my washer. Now I use 1/2 HM and 1/2 store bought until it is used up.

After that I am going to purchase Charlies Soap. It was recommended by Grainlady. You can purchase online and possibly locally. I found it locally and it is cheaper than buying online because of the shipping (added into the price of the soap).
    Thanks for the rec I'll have to check it out! I too did not have success with my HM laundry soap- it started to fade my colours and just seemed harsh overall (used the borax,washing soda, bar soap blend).

I just got some Tide (I love Tide with Downey) on sale and did a 50/50 mix with no name unscented detergent to stretch it. Currently I have a batch of liquid going but when I need to make the next batch and powdered Tide with Downey is what's cheaper then I will do the same exact blend but with unscented no name powder.

If I end up making batches using a soap that isn't a soap/softener blend then I will do the same thing with the my softener...buy whatever on sale brand I like and mix it 50/50 with no name.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by savvy_sniper View Post

I make my own laundry soap and have never had problems with fading, or film.

I use my own homemade soap in the mix, which is part of the key ( some soaps people use have a petroleum base which is part of the problem , not only don't you want on your skin it will leave a film). If you make again, add salt to your mix 1 cup per 8 cups of your soap, and other mixture, it will take care of hard water . I use REALSALT brand or celtic sea salt. Also wash your machine a few times with rags and just water then your new mix before you start using homemade as you will have chemical residue from your commercial brand. If clothes are fading you can use a safe bleach that is an Oxygen bleach to stop the fading, and brighten the colors.
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was using HM laundry soap for more than a year and after a while I noticed my towels seemed to hold on to odors so I switched to Charlie's soap, which I love.

My neighbors asked if I could do a few loads of wash so the towels got washed in Charlies and came out beautifully. I washed their cigarette reeking clothes in the HM detergent and they came out smelling smokey still. I felt a little guilty about not washing them again but I didn't have the time.

I might give the half and half scenario a try to use up the rest of the HM batch and I'm happy there isn't too much left of it.
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't bring myself to buy Charlies because it seems so darn high, but I want to try it. I guess after the big expense it will last a long time and the money will even out. But I just can't wrap my brain around dropping that much money on detergent at once. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    I do too and I used the liquid recipe for it.
    I have a front loader as well, you can use the powder in it, you just pour it in with the clothes. Works just as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been making my own laundry detergent for years. I recently started adding essential oil to make it smell like the commercial detergents. My personal favrotie is lavendar, which wal-mat sells for $2 a bottle. You just add 10-15 drops for every 2 gallons and it leaves a subtle scent to your finished laundry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love my hm detergent! Glad you tried it and like it.
    Nov No Spend Days - 1 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 261 /365
    2014 Nov Gas Challenge - 0 / $120
    Nov Keep Fit - 170 min / 900 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the homemade and I won't go back to store bought. I've been using it for 2 or 3 years now.
    Wife to Danny for 30 1/2 wonderful years.

Mother of 2
    Ashley 27...
    Dustin 26...

Blessed beyond all measure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The Duggar Family - Duggar Recipes

thought I'd share this link for anyone that needs it.

I'm thinking of trying the fabric softener w/ sponges.
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm getting ready to make a new batch of HM laundry soap, and I think I'll up the amounts of borax and washing soda. If I were to add Oxyclean to my laundry, should I mix it with the regular recipe when I'm making it, or should I just use it as a laundry additive with individual laundry loads?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast