Homemade Dishwasher Detergent
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    KimBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Make your own dishwasher detergent

Mix 250 ml (1 cup) of borax with 125 ml (1/2 cup) of baking soda. Fill the machine's detergent dispenser as usual. (Borax, or sodium borate, is a mineral salt. It is used as a degreaser, deodorizer, mild antiseptic and water softener. Look for it in the laundry section of the grocery store.) For best results, rinse dishes — especially mugs and cups — with cold water before stacking in the dishwasher.

I tried this today and it worked wonderfully! I used 1 T. of the mixture in my dishwasher (I have soft water plus a new dishwasher with a small detergent cup). Much cheaper for me than buying Cascade and such.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Dishwasher detergent recipe

Does anyone have a Dishwasher detergent recipe that is tried and true?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not sure if I should have replied here or the other thread, but... I tried this mixture and was a tad disappointed. My coffee cups were dull and stained, and avocado and peanut butter were stuck to my spoons. So I suppose I'll just use it if I know I've rinsed the coffee cups well, and I've eaten nothing that sticks to spoons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kim, are you still using this? and if so, is it effective?

KimBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, we had to stop because it started leaving a chalky film on the dishes (only dishes). Dh thinks it is because of our well water. It's awful here on the coast - very high in iron and sulfur so we absolutely have to have a chlorination and softener system to make it usable. He thinks because of that system that the homemade detergent doesn't work properly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cheap dishwasher detergent and rinse aid.

This was recommend by a lady on an English website. Her brother is a dishwasher engineer and he recommended using value biological washing powder instead of expensive dishwasher tablets/powder. I've tried it with vinegar as a rinse aid and it works as well as any leading brand of dishwasher tablet. Others have also used the biological washing powder and found it works a treat. Though they said to use one that doesn't have such a strong smell. I most admit I haven't been brave enough to try it on my polished glass blender jug. I use the branded tablets with glass protection for that. My dishwasher is for a family of 4 and I live in a hard water area so I add about 2 teaspoons to the dispensing draw and I fill the rinse aid compartment with cheap vinegar.
    Rachel

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use to use to electrosol, powder or cream, with the rinse aid from Walmart. I,ve also tried nn of 4 differn't kind and I have hard water too, twon water, yucky with lots of chlorine. I use vinegar too to clean out the dishwasher and the bathtub every evening after someone takes a bath.
    I tried cascade and it doesnt too bad of ajob, that was for years in the old house with well water. But i find it exspensive. The powder or cream with the seperate rinse aid bottle.
    Now i use the cascade 2in 1 too. easy and dishes are pretty clean here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What is biological washing powder?

I use Electrosol tabs w/ the rinsing aid in it. I've tried the cheaper liquid/powder ones and they don't work worth a darn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess a biological washing powder would contain enzymes that break down blood/soil??
    I also use vinegar in my dishwasher. I love the shine when I am using an economical dish washing solution/powder.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have used the powder and tablets that I got at the everything's a dollar store, it works just as good as the other stuff, I also, have thought about putting vinegar in my dishwasher, but have enough samples of jet dry to hold me over for a awhile,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Biological washing powder is the one that contains enzymes. I use my local stores economy brand. It works out at 50p a kilo. Lasts ages.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

Anyone make it? Anyone use it with good success? I saw a recipe for it and would like to give it a go if it is worth the money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i didn't have the best of luck with it for some reason. the first 2 weeks were good, my dishes were coming really clean. after that something went awry. my dishes were coming out coated in a brown greasy gunk. thought it was my dishwasher so i took it apart and cleaned and bleached it real well. same problem. ran vinegar and citrus thru it. same problem. finally switched back to store bought detergent and no more funky greasy residue. everyone else ive talked to has liked it. maybe its our water, i dont know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you find a good recipe that works, let me know - I'd be willing to try also!

((I'm still using up all my free Electrasol Tablets at the moment)) = free coupons
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use walmart generic dish soap. I dont' think i could make it cheaper.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast