Cloth Sanitary pads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Cloth Sanitary pads?

This idea is interesting to me.

I remember a few years ago I heard about a "cup" that you insert-- it kind of looks like a diaphram-- and it catches everything and you just take it out and wash it. But with Naturl Family Planning they suggest only using pads because tampons can throw off readings.

I'm definitely interested in these cloth pads. I looked up a few links but I don't want to pay a lot of money for them. I also found a pattern but I don't know how to sew. My husband is the "seamstress" of the house but he works 6 days a week. I'd feel bad asking him to make them for me.

I'm sure I can make them myself but I don't know what kind of fabric to use... how to sew in the snaps to keep them attached to the pantys... and most of my underwear wardrobe consists of thongs... how do I get around that? ... I guess I could adjust the pattern..

Has anyone here made these or bought these before? How do they work for you? How long do they last?

Muchos mahalos!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~obsidia...othpadpat.html There ya go ... I have made them... I have PCOS, so it can get pretty expensive if I didn't have these for around the house.

My friend has used them since the birth of her first child (who is now 15) and she swears by them. There is a post somewhere on the village about it too...

Your DH is handy with the machine... just cut out the pattern and have him give it a go.. but, if you wanted to try, it is rather easy. If you don't like that pattern... or... if like me, you don't fit in that supermodel catergory... there are patterns for we women of curvatures
    I can't be out of money... I still have checks left!

Momma to the Diva
    Old Lady to the Old Man
    My Blog: http://frugaldomesticgoddess.wordpress.com

Making Yule
    Samantha x2 (1/2)
    Christopher x2
    Mom x2
    Larry x1
    Dave x1
    OldMan x5
    Diva x11 (1/11)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I already have a lot of "novelty" scrap cloth that I'm going to use, thank you for this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have made them and it is pretty easy. Just cut out the template with the inner soaker stuff...I got a snap thingy at Walmart for mine. It worked well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the thread is in the natural living section

Cloth menstrual pads??
    Reba

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! I'm gonna try making some liners. I use them every day, sometimes twice a day, if I'm going out at night. They're pretty cheap, but this would be cheaper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always thought of using cloth pads, but bought the diva cup instead and am really happy with it. I know quite a few women that do use the cloth pads and love them!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love them! haven't gotten to use them much, but they are great! If you search for "mama cloth" on www.hyenacart.com you can see some different types and get some ideas

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to use flannel or suedecloth for the layer next to the skin, 4 layers of flannel for the soaker pad and a layer of fleece (the better quality fleece the more absorbancy your pad will have) for the bottom panty side layer. You can just lay them in your underwear if you don't want to deal with putting snaps on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i made some using flannel and i found some prefold diapers that i used for inserts. I just cut them to match. For days when I am really heavy I cut some thick heavy towels and made the inserts from that. The outer shell of my pads are the flannel. and i have snap closure to hole the "wings" to the panties. I'll make some more in the next few weeks. I'f anyone would like, I can do a tutorial.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Planting and raising an urban homestead in the middle of Downtown big city right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains!

Zone 5 Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Missy,
    I've made my own too. The idea of using an old towel is great! I used 6-8 layers of flannel and serged the edges to make a pad to insert into a flannel cover. I lined the bottom of the flannel pads with a waterproof nylon...just in case.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use Adahy's pattern (shewhorunsintheforest.googlepages.com/home). I use flannel for the top and fleece for the bottom. These are contoured to make a great fit and you can take an old towel that you no longer use for anything and use it for the inner core. These are great!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

preemie sized prefolds work as well! and no sewing required. CLothdiaper.com or little-lions.com are cheap places to buy some of those

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use them and make them to sell along with cloth diapers for my small home business. LOVE THEM!!!

MC
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have "made" my own--didn't have a pattern so I just sort of made it up as I went...

Anyways--I love them. They are very comfy and I only sprung a leak once. I am allergic to the stuff regular pads use to be "leakproof", and my flow is so heavy tampons are out of the question(I know--tmi!!) So I snagged a few old cloth diapers and cut them to fit. Since I am not a seamstress, I used velcro instead of snaps.

I am going to try my hand at making more--I have some old flannel shirts I can use as covers and some old towels for liners. Lmao--imo, this has GOT to be the utmost in a frugal lifestyle!(Next to using solid waste products as a heat source--but that's a different thread lol!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast