Kids' healthy meals they like
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Kids' healthy meals they like

Hi all,
    I have a one and a half year old that is an absolute delight. He's not too much of a picky eater but I am not very good at coming up with good ideas for healthy meals for him. He loves pasta and I put freshly cooked veggies in that, which he'll eat. I want to rotate a variety of meals for him but I am short on ideas. I just found a healthier recipe for mac and cheese and I want to get away a little bit from chicken nuggets and hot dogs. He does not like avocadoes.
    What have you fed your young ones that is healthy, not processed too much and they enjoyed it?
    Thanks.
    Mea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

cheese slices and bananas w/ peanut butter (if not allergic obviously),1/2 grapes,pears. I always made sandwiches small in squares cut. I kinda didn't worry about eating or messes either. Maybe a slice of good lunchmeat? I used to put a bunch of stuff on the tray and "walk" away. I could still see him but I wanted him to think HE was in control. KWIM.
    I am not a big fan of nuggets or hot dogs for little guy. Could you cook a whole breast,chunk it,give him some and freeze the rest.
    We went to the fruit market on Sat. MY dd got to try 1 new fruit or veg every time. She then held her prize all thru the market as I shopped. We went home and spread a blanket on the floor to try our new "prize w/ the rest of lunch.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quesadillas--whole wheat tortillas filled with shredded cheese, microwave for 30 second. To get Wesley to eat this I told him it was a grilled cheese cooked Dora Style.

Tilapia--very easy. Bake for 30 minutes with a bit of lemon juice/olive oil on it. Serve with fresh veggies.

Rice with veggies and chunks of grilled chicken

I got Wesley to eat a spinach salad by telling him that we were eating tree stars like the dinosaurs on The Land B efore Time.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh. WE used to do "food stories" I had forgotten. Broccoli trees,cheese slices cut into shapes like a telephone,bear shaped pancakes. I had forgotten. That was for my DD 20years ago. Watermelon w/ cookie cutters,counting shapes then food.lol

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We make homemade lunchables too.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Toddlers don't have well-developed taste buds until around the age of 3. They lack a full set of teeth for heavy-duty chewing, so keep that in mind in their food choices.

Make it easy for your child to eat - finger foods, small sandwiches, steam crunchy veggies for a few minutes before serving them so they will be easier to chew. Make sure serving sizes are appropriate for your child's age. A simple guide is to serve 1 tablespoon of each food per 1 year of age.

You will find a lot of good ideas and recipes at this link:
    Toddlers and the Food Pyramid. Food Pyramid for Toddlers and Nuritional Requirements for Toddlers

-If you don't already have some mini-muffin pans, they are a good investment (you can make 24 mini-muffins with a recipe that makes 12 regular-sized muffins). Or you can cut a 12-muffin recipe in half to make 12 mini-muffins. If you need to cut the recipe in half and you need 1/2 an egg, just lightly beat a whole egg and divide it into equal portions. You can use the remaining half egg for scrambled eggs.

You can use the mini-muffin tin to make individual servings of meat loaves.

Oatmeal Pancakes
    1/2 c. whole wheat flour
    1/2 c. oatmeal
    1 t. baking powder
    2 T. frozen apple juice concentrate
    3/4 c. milk
    1 egg
    1/2 t. vanilla

Topping:
    unsweetened applesauce

Mix ingredients together and fry until golden brown. Top with unsweetened applesauce. You can either cut the pancake into small pieces for your toddler, or roll it up like a tortilla and let them eat it out-of-hand.

Here's a good web site that has lots of great recipes for kids - and kids-at-heart. Fun and easy to fix, and high in nutrition. Keep this link in mind when you start to involve your child in food preparation.

Kids A Cookin'
    Kids a Cookin - Home

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When my youngest was that age he loved to eat black beans. From the can, rinsed, and put in front of him without heating. He loved them. It was like candy to him. Complete with the purple face/hands when he was done lol.

I've recently discovered the Eating Well website. They have a lot of great recipes. We really like the homemade chocolate pudding