$25 a week grocery challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i think a key is also finding ways to get your fruits and veggies cheaper than at the grocery store- such distribution centers are often cold in winter- warm in summer their apples dont get machine shined/ waxed whatever it is they do but but we pay at least 1/2 if not 1/3 of what we would pay at a grocery for our veggies and we dont have to quick use them either because they arent a quick sale . ( not that i dont peek at that when i am in the store too)

same as above with meats - i wont pay regular price for a meat ever - just cant do it for something that gets flushed a day or 2 later- it has to be on sale or a mark down and better yet both and i buy a bunch and stock the freezer .

i dont think someone could do the challenge paying regular prices for items or if their family wants to have certain things they like ( here if its not on sale we dont get it until it is with one exception my husbands cereal he eats to prevent his diverticulosis from flaring )

i think thats a part of the challenge also to help people get in the mindset of i can do this or that instead of paying full price for that .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

not gonna lie here I think it will be hard for me grandma only eats frozen breakfast things and hubs is a sammie person .. but we will try.. March 1 will be posting how much things are per day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This seems doable at our house. The monthly benefit amount is only $20 more than I what I currently budget for groceries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lora88 View Post
    Really your doing wonderful I spend more than 31 a week just on dh lunches I honestly dont know where they get the numbers from but if you want to eat something besides processed food you have to spend more than that Dh and ds are big eaters (both skinny) at dinner we have a protein starch and at least two veggie sides you are so not doing that on 31.00 a week.
    ~Well thank you. I know not too many people are going to be able to go as low as I can. I would easily spend 25% more on food if I didn't have a freezer to store loss leaders in. The government isn't providing freezers that I know of so it makes sense that the benefit should be a little more to make up for no longer term storage options in people's homes.
    I equate the combined appetites in our home to two men and one woman. My kids are growing fast!
    I'm not a fan of processed foods so we rarely have any in the house. Yesterday we ate:
    B:homemade waffles with homemade syrup, bananas
    L:choice of
    leftover pork BBQ that I'd frozen
    leftover homemade pizza I'd frozen
    hamburgers that I ground at home from a chuck roast and made patties and frozen with the impulse addition of fresh cut fries
    S:apples with peanut butter
    D: pork and apple loaves(also home ground), homemade "fried" rice with onions & carrots
    Dessert: loaded oatmeal cookies
    No deprivation going on over here. Sunday is our "goodie" day. I make healthier stuff throughout the week and we indulge in quick things from the freezer to give me a break, and unplanned things like cookies and fries on Sundays. It makes me feel like a kid to make up quesadillas or brownies on a whim. Not the best for you but that's what the rest of the week is for. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well a budget for 3 would 351 so we will see ugh a feared here lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a deal, Ill start as soon as my EBT comes in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow I upped our budget in January to $300 for food only and
    according to my state I should be budgeting $122.69 per person. There are 4 of us in the home so $588 a month so I spend about 1/2 of that amount.

I am in on this one but I am going to lower my monthly budget from $300 for food only to $200 this is the amount that I had budgeted before I raised it.
    So $50 month per person.
    I bought a lot of meat this month so I should be ok in that department. Have lots of veggies from the garden that need to be used up before the next garden season hits.
    DH and DD and DS take there lunch to work or school and I eat free at work so this is for all food consumed.

Will have to work on the meal plan later. I only meal plan a week at a time.
    Debra
    Married to Michael
    Mom to
    Chassidy 26
    Tanner 21
    Johanna 17

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

3/1
    peanut butter sammie coffee me
    leftover oatmeal rasians and apples sugar and butter, coffee
    all bought on sale not even 2 bucks

pork chops 1 1/2 lbs at 1.99 a lb so $3
    lazy instant pot 1
    not going to count butter spices, or cooking oil
    frozen veggie .79
    hubs want stove top $1
    ice tea to drink .40 cents

unless I added wrong $ 8.19
    I really don't think I can do it..but this is good idea to keep track of spending..luck all

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bump,

Just wanted to share this lady with you all. Look at her $25 shopping cart challenge. Love reading through her site. Very healthy stuff for cheap

www.poorgirlseatswell.com
    Baby Step #1 - Done!!!!
    Baby Step #2 - Working on it (see below)
    Baby Step #3 - $937.88/$20,000
    Baby Step #4 - 2%
    Baby Step #5 - 4 kids Paying cash Son#1=4 of 8 payments year#3, Son#2=Fall paid in full
    Baby Step #6 - Home, Rental
    Baby Step #7 -

401k Loan = $19791.50/$34000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12