MYO Hamburger Helper Recipes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile MYO Hamburger Helper Recipes

I came across these recipes months ago and thought I'd share them.
    I will be making my first one tomorrow night... which will be the Chili Cheese one.
    I will try to remember to come back here & post my review.

I thought some of you out there would appreciate these, especially considering the recipes use what most people already have in their pantries.
    But I love the fact they they are made with 'real food' instead of all of the preservatives/additives that go into the store bought prepackaged stuff.
    I haven't eaten HH in probably 15 years because of this so I'm hoping that these recipes deliver.

As with most recipes these are very easily adaptable to your own preferences...on a salt restricted diet? Leave it out altogether...like a little extra spice...you could easily add extra chili powder or if you're watching your sugar intake you could eliminate the sugar in any of them that call for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think you forgot to include the link...

100% Debt Free.... home, car & credit cards.
    Blogging the simple life at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Muse View Post
    I think you forgot to include the link...

Sorry bout that & thank-you for pointing it out The Muse...because otherwise I would have never realized it!

How to Make Homemade Hamburger Helper | Chickens in the Road

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have made a few of these and they are great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Domestic Gal View Post
    I have made a few of these and they are great.
    That is so good to hear DG!

I was hoping that they would turn out good.
    Not that we eat alot of HH type meals but doing it this way I'll have a chance to incorporate a few more of them into the menu on a busy night.

Thanks so much for adding your review!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you! I wonder if this would work with TVP. I'm living in Denmark, and even though I'm a vegetarian now, I wasn't always a vegetarian, and this would be a welcome taste of home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Muse View Post
    Thank you! I wonder if this would work with TVP. I'm living in Denmark, and even though I'm a vegetarian now, I wasn't always a vegetarian, and this would be a welcome taste of home.
    I don't see why not? I'm not sure if you do soy crumbles or not but those would work well too. I know I've made tacos/soups and such out of them in the past and they've turned out really good.

I don't have much experience with tvp though, I mean I know what it is but just have never used it before.
    I have heard that tvp usually has to be 'soaked' and if you add more flavor into the soaking liquid it takes on a better flavor but I'm not sure what you could soak it in for these recipes?
    Maybe a vegetarian beef flavored bouillon or even just a vegetable stock?

If you happen to try it though come back & post about how it tasted in case anyone else might be interested in trying it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by cheles2kids View Post
    I'm not sure if you do soy crumbles or not but those would work well too. I know I've made tacos/soups and such out of them in the past and they've turned out really good.
    I haven't been able to find them in Denmark, even TVP I have to order from the UK, but if I try it, I'll report back

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Um, those are just hotdishes, which people have made for generations and long before Hamburger Helper was introduced. The only thing different there is pre-packaging things to make it more convenient, which is a great idea but also not a new idea.

Thanks for sharing. Some of the recipes look good. Even old ideas are worth bringing up for those to whom they are new ideas.

If you do a Google search, you can also find recipes for other mixes to make up and have on hand, such as for various rice dishes similar to Uncle Ben's or Zatarain's, and Rice-A-Roni mixes, too.

And of course, you can make your own Bisquick mix, cake mixes, brownie mixes, etc. Which taste way better than what you get in the store.

If you brown hamburger five pounds or more at a time and then freeze in meal-sized packages, that speeds up supper even more, and the uses for browned hamburger are infinite.

Rice can also be pre-cooked and frozen. Then all you have to do is add whatever sauces and seasonings you like, your pre-cooked hamburger, and supper's ready in a flash.

I've made meal mixes (and other mixes, like coffee cake) for years to take camping, because it's easier than dragging along all the seasonings and everything, and it takes less space and weight, too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the link. We've been making a version of the "plain" one for years - just use brown gravy over pasta and hamburger - we call it "Fake Hamburger Helper" - I always chuckle that HH is so fake to begin with, how can you make "fake" HH? :-)

I plan on trying out some of these.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the link................always up for any new ideas.

Like another poster said..........cook up the hamburger in mass batches...........dinner can be ready in 15 minutes.

I have switched to cooking all my hamburger when I first bring it home from the store..........then bagging according to what I will be using it for........and I usually season it all as if for tacos............hasn't messed up any recipe yet......but I eat more tacos than HH.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always brown it with lots of onions and celery and it doesn't mess up any recipes either. That way we get some extra nutrients without any effort and it also stretches the meat.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've used several recipes from this link before, and they've all turned out great. My son has an embarrassing love for HH, but the thought of buying the packaged stuff skeeves me out. He claims the boxed stuff is better (I disagree!), but these recipes are a great compromise at our house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yep...I'm familiar with precooking ground beef & freezing SD...I have done this in the past. It's defiantely a time saver that's for sure! I also do you as you mentioned & make my own brownie & muffin mix as well. It saves sooo much money & doesn't have all of those nasty 'preservatives' that the store bought ones have.
    But as you said it never hurts to bring up old ideas.

I just wanted to come back & post my review of the one that I fixed the other night...as a few of you have already mentioned the recipe turned out quite tasty.
    All 4 of us enjoyed it, even the 2 teenagers who can sometimes be a little 'iffy' with new dishes. So I am planning on mixing up the seasonings for a few of the other ones to try over the next few weeks.
    I figured I would just store my seasonings in my little 1/2 pint mason jars since I have some extras instead of the little sandwich sized baggies that she used.

As for the recipes...I would suggest if you add in more noodles/liquid to also up your amounts of seasonings. I didn't do this the other night & it defiantely would of helped. But even adding in more macaroni noodles & milk it was still super tasty & really filling.
    This is defiantely a 'keeper'!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrabjousDay View Post
    I've used several recipes from this link before, and they've all turned out great. My son has an embarrassing love for HH, but the thought of buying the packaged stuff skeeves me out. He claims the boxed stuff is better (I disagree!), but these recipes are a great compromise at our house.
    This is good to know...thank-you for posting!
    I always love trying new homemade versions of store bought items but am always leary to try it for the first time, but knowing that so many folks on here have used her recipes & been happy with them really builds my confidence in trying more of her recipes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast