Frugal Village Forums banner

getting ready for winter

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Spirit Deer 
#1 ·
Spent most of the last few days outside. Got in the last of the garden produce.. Frost forecast for tonight.
still have some of the perennial flower beds to tidy up. Leaves are really starting to turn color. I can't say that I'm sorry to see summer end. I am not a fan of hot weather. We are retired, so in winter , if roads or weather are bad, we just stay home. Also, I enjoy reading, quilting, and knitting; and I have more time to do those things in winter. Looking forward to doing more baking ,too.

#2 ·
Well, today was the first day of fall and while it was a cool 65F out, yesterday and the day before were in the 80's and tomorrow is supposed to warm up too.

My autumn garden is in: lettuce, beets, carrots, spinach, and... um, I forget what else I planted two weeks ago. It won't get really cold here until Thanksgiving so we'll be eating late season greens until then.

Now the 100+ days are behind us my tomatoes have started to set fruit. I've given up on the larger varieties but my itty bitty yellow plum tomatoes are doing great as are the grape tomatoes.

DH spent the afternoon putting down grass seed to replace what died over the summer.

I love fall, but it's not quite here yet.

#3 ·
Last couple weekends we have been cleaning up and clearing out the yard.. Filled up our propane tank.. Ready for winter!!

#4 ·
Last couple weekends we have been cleaning up and clearing out the yard.. Filled up our propane tank.. Ready for winter!!

South Central Missouri has been low 80s, high 70's during the day and low 50s/40ish at night.. It's been very nice..

#5 ·
We have been weather proofing our doors. Didn't replace the bottom rubber strips in a while. Our replacement doors are in we just need to schedule a time for them to be installed. We are going from single glass pane sliding patio door to French door, double paned windowed ones. Will add to the security of the house and cut way down on the heating bill. Our tomatoes are doing the same. I didn't notice a few asparagus decided to sprout over the past week. I hope to take advantage of the cooler weather to paint a few rooms before it is too cold to open windows.

#6 ·
today feels like winter going to hunt the extra plastic I have bought up and hopefully put it to use.. buy weather stripping for the doors going to stock up on tea and hot chocolate mix for cold days..stock up on cold and flu meds......
clean off the patio and cover the grills...bring my yard do dads inside......

#7 ·
My leaves aren't changing colors yet, everything is green, growing and blooming,. The temps have cooled down but it sure doesn't feel like fall. Now that I said that, it will probably snow. lol

#9 ·
Our leaves are either in full autumn coloring or falling off the trees...by Halloween there will be no trees with leaves...did also buy a winter coat and boots on sale this past week...paid 44 bucks for a coat and 38 for the boots..very happy with the purchase...did hit the church rummage sale and found the most beautiful red wool coat...tried it on...only issue was the arm sleeves were 2 inches too short...and it was a dollar...a well.

#10 ·
I'd have added ribbing to the sleeves. :)

I'm still wearing my Vikings starter jacket for winter, and I have several pairs of mukluks. My biggest problem with the muks is they're so warm I usually don't wear them except when it's below zero.

We're at about 75% color here now. Gorgeous! We've had a bear here twice in the past few days that we know of. They're busy trying to fatten up for their long snooze and this one keeps trying to raid our bird feeder.

We're working like crazy trying to get our deck done before winter. Hope the weather holds. I'd like to get the new stove hood installation completed yet this fall, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.