Frugal Village Forums banner

What do you set your thermostat on ?

6K views 36 replies 36 participants last post by  Judi Dial 
#1 ·
We have a natural gas furnace. I'm interested in saving money and fuel. I have been setting the thermostat at 70 during the day; and 65 at night. The night setting is very comfortable for sleeping since we like flannel sheets and warm quilts. During the day, I never feel warm enough unless I'm doing something active [like vacuuming, etc ] I usually wear a turtleneck, then a sweatshirt over that. But often I have to add another layer. Sometimes I actually feel resentful that I can't be warm in my own home.

#28 ·
Natural gas here w/gag orders for 72*F 24/7. Our thermostat allows us to program 4 time zones and I've got the day/afternoon a bit cooler, 70*F I believe?

During the days, dad's usually shuffling about, cooking, precooking etc he doesn't seem to notice ;) The upstairs is pretty comfortable 24/7. Down here is a diff situation. We have two windows cracked for air circulation and its still comfortable - great insulation is my guess BUT as soon as we crack the kitchen window a teeny tiny bit, its drafty down here. We combat this by lighting a candle or two tealights. Believe it or not - its enough to level out the temp.

#30 ·
I have to replace the AC unit this year, so I am trying to not use the heat or AC unless absolutely necessary. Because of the kids and pets, I have had to run it only 4 days I think since September or so. It got too cold to not use the heat those few days last month. I kept it at 70. We are used to hot weather here. In Summer I keep the AC between 76 and 78.

#33 ·
We have primarily heated with our pellet stove this year (kept in the basement), and have propane forced air for back up. We run the furnace fan on medium 24/7 to circulate the warmer air. The propane will not kick on until the house is 59 degrees. I like the house to be between 60 and 64. :)

#34 ·
We heat with Propane, use a programmable thermostat and it's set for 65ºday & 50?55ºnight. I was spoiled last winter when we were living at a summer camp and we heated with wood. Temps were often in the mid-upper 80's and I was in short sleeved shirts. Balmy for sure.

#37 ·
We work at home, 67-70 during the day 60 at night. We have an electric bed warmer which is turned on at night on low -- after the bed warms up! Right now, I'm upstairs in a tank top, leggings, wool socks, jeans and shoes. I'm fine, until I take off the jeans & shoes, then i'll be cold! (I'd be cold if I went downstairs.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.