Frugal Village Forums banner

What do you set your thermostat on ?

6K views 36 replies 36 participants last post by  Judi Dial 
#1 ·
We have a natural gas furnace. I'm interested in saving money and fuel. I have been setting the thermostat at 70 during the day; and 65 at night. The night setting is very comfortable for sleeping since we like flannel sheets and warm quilts. During the day, I never feel warm enough unless I'm doing something active [like vacuuming, etc ] I usually wear a turtleneck, then a sweatshirt over that. But often I have to add another layer. Sometimes I actually feel resentful that I can't be warm in my own home.

#2 ·
I think then temps one keeps thier house at depends on the people living in the house, the area in which one lives, etc.

That said We personally at my house have natural gas furnace. We keep the house at 60 in the winter night and day.

This is a comfortable number for us. I do have to remind some children in my house they should have socks on and that tank tops only are not winter wear. I prefer if they were two layers at minium.

Little Miss in a tank top and a button up shirt, jeans, and Justice boots, she is at the table coloring.

Buddy is in socks, jeans, a shortsleeve shirt and a hoddie, he is at the computer on line.

Me I am in jeans, a long sleeve shirt toppped by a fleece pull over and am wearing tennis shoes and I am at another computer on line.

We do have blankets on the sofa for when we sit to watch tv. Snuggle time. And everyone wants the dog by them. LOL

It also seems a bit chiller upstairs (bedrooms and bathroom) then on the main floor so we do have a small space heater that has a temperature set and adds extra heat if it gets to chilly up there. Frost watch turns on at 55.

( 60 not actual temp in the house is a bit under 60 currently as the themosat is in the center of the house) So 55 in the kitchen currently where little miss is coloring the door was open a crack in there. She had let the dog out and had not chut it completely. 59 in the computer room, 58 in the living room/tv room.)

#3 ·
We have our furnace set at 60 also day & night.

We use electric blankets at night, and I will turn the heat up to 67 occasionally if I am spending extended time in the kitchen or elsewhere in the house. When the house warms up, down it goes.

We have a heater in the bathroom vent that we turn on for heating up the bath.

I keep all the doors to any rooms that we don't use closed 24/7 - the vents also. We spend the majority of our time in the LR with a gas fireplace. I have heavy curtains hanging in the doorway to keep the cold air of the house out - and the warm air of the fireplace in.

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#4 ·
71 or 72 during the day and lately 68 at night. I may have to turn that down more because it starts blowing constantly by 3 or 4 am and I hate it. Our thermostat is in the central hall, but most of the heat comes up into the bathroom (idiot design) and we have to shut it up at night because of the cats. So our bath gets to about 80 in the night and the rest of the house is 65 and the heat just blows and blows....

#8 ·
We keep it at 20 during the day, and 19 at night. We have an 8 month old. Pe-baby, we kept it at 17 night and day except from 5 to 6am and 5 to 9 pm when it was at 21.

#9 ·
It is set at 62 day and night. We have a fancy thermostat that you can set to different temperatures at different times. We have it set to warm the house up to 64 from 6 am to 7 am. I do bump it up during the day. I usually try to keep it around 66. What I actually bump it up to depends on how many people are in the house, how windy it is outside, what appliances we are using, if we are using the oven or the crockpot, etc.

#10 ·
When we are home we have the downstairs no higher than 67. If we're going to be gone a while we turn it back a couple of degrees. At night it is set to 60 (programmable thermostat).

Upstairs (where all the bedrooms are) we have it on 66 IF the kids are home; otherwise, the heat is on only in the mornings and only if the morning is really cold.

#17 ·
We keep ours at 68 all the time..We did some work to the house last summer and it seems warmer in here than last winter..but it has been colder this winter too and more wind..My water, gas and sewer was $105 this month..Highest it has been since we lived here..but the 50 MPH winds and 5 temp hasn't helped it much..

#19 ·
I keep mine set at 73 day and night....I hate being cold in my own house...and even with the heat set at 73 I get cold....but that's my compromise...because if I had my way I would probably have it set to about 80...not very frugal at all... are living area is the bottom floor and it's set on a concrete slab...no basement below...so the floors are super cold all the time...making us all feel colder because our feet are always cold....our upstairs where the bedrooms are always seem to stay comfortable with the 73 degree setting....

#21 ·
Our home has two furnaces/thermostats. For the "zone" of the house where we spend most of our every day time, we keep the thermostat at 68 during the day and 62 at night or when we're away. For the other portion of the house, the thermostat is kept at 62 most of the time (during the winter months). I don't mind keeping the house cool at night since I am happy to snoodle under down comforters, but during the day if the temp is below 65 my hands get too cold.

#22 ·
70 during the day, around 65 or a little higher at night. I used to keep it 65 during the day and virtually off at night, actually set to around 55 though it rarely dropped that low, but I have birds now so I keep it a little warmer. That's probably better for my old bones anyway, though I would really prefer it somewhat colder at night.

#23 ·
It's 68 during the day we have a cathedral ceiling. So it's drafty. Its 62 in the evening.
We have a programmable thermostate.

#25 ·
Ours is all over the place - we have two furnaces with two thermostats. The main floor is usually 65 overnight/when we're at work and 70 when we're home (the fiance is always cold). But the other half of the house (a split-level ranch) has another furnace and we keep the bedroom doors closed to keep the kitties out. So while it may say 70 in the hall where the thermostat is, in the bedrooms it's more like 67.

#26 ·
56-58 at night while sleeping.............65 during day--or if sitting, maybe 67, and if I am going to be gone running errands I will turn it down to about 62.

About 5 when I sit down (for the evening) I will turn it up to about 67-68................no higher. If I get cold, I have a blanket!

Keeping it at--or below 68 saves more money............so says our util. people. I do wear two layers in my house(either fleece or wool and long sleeved shirt)............dislike being cold but dislike paying
an enormous utility bill even more!!

I close the vent (and the door) in one bathroom that is never used.........only have a couple vents- partially open, downstairs-------and I have checked all around my doors for "leaks" and money wasters.

#27 ·
This is our first winter in this one. We've had some cold days and nights in Florida. If the heat is on it's on 67. For some reason it doesn't distribute evenly. The thermastat may say 67 in the living room but the other half HAS to be more like 62. One thermastat and it's in front of the door and about 7 feet away from the oven. Makes no sense to me.
I keep a throw on the couch and wear sweats

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.