Frugal Village Forums banner

This week's storm

5K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  frugalfranny 
#1 ·
How is everyone doing? Seems KC area is looking at another day of disrupted work/school/etc. Main roads snow packed and littered with abandoned cars. Side roads are impassable. We are snug at home and thankful no one here has to venture out.

#2 ·
We got your rain, wind and tornado warnings. Apparently there were tornadoes south of us but no damage or injuries are being reported on the news this morning so I don't know what happened there. I'll go out an check the roof. We might need to tighten it down again. Last night, we had horizontal wind for a few minutes so I need to make sure nothing came loose.

#7 ·
Hope everyone is safe............and warm!!! Stay home if you can. Have been following it on the news.

Last night, we had horizontal wind for a few minutes so I need to make sure nothing came loose.
We get that too---but probably nothing like you get---.........I hate wind. I always think of my roof with wind and the snow.........wondering about the 'snow load'.....UGH.

We have an extremely active weather pattern for the next 6 days here, but nothing seems to be sticking. Depends on what the air current does, the middle part of the country could be in for one heck of a ride when it gets there.

BE CAREFUL.........if you do have to go out in it.

#4 ·
Diddo. Snow started here about 2:15. Kids were out of school early, before it even started snowing, but when the snow came it came with a vengence. It started sticking to the ground within 25 minutes. We probably got about 4" or 5" also. Kids are on a two hour delay from school this morning. I was really hoping for a snow day and be able to stay home snugs as bugs in a rug, but that isn't going to happen.

This is much better then the previous snow storms we have received this year. The snow is light and fluffy and not that terrible heavy stuff. Winds are rather calm this morning.

I'm in South Central Iowa.

#5 ·
I've been watching this storm all week and I knew it was going to be bad, not just the amount of snow but the idiots who would insist on going out in it. So many highways closed because of the hundreds of vehicles stuck and abandoned. What a mess! Fortunately no ice or sleet hit in the city.

DH took the day off and stayed home. After looking at it last night, he decided to stay home today too. Our street isn't plowed and we live on a slope. I've "run into" neighbors at the intersection at the bottom before.

We got 11-12" here. They are saying another big storm will be here on Monday. :ack:

#8 ·
Oh my! Everyone stay safe!!

We're expecting snow on Sunday. 12" of heavy stuff. Bleh!

Reactions: NikoSan999 and tigo
#9 ·
We were slammed with thunder, lightening, and snow. I was supposed to take dd to an appointment an hour north of us yesterday afternoon. I called and rescheduled for next week. The highway between here and there is always terrible in this kind of weather. The public schools in our area (Mid-Missouri) were closed yesterday and are again today.

Dd#2 and I are supposed to go to a conference in Branson tomorrow morning. I hope the roads between here and there are clear enough to make the trip. MODoT is pretty good about getting the major roads cleared quickly.

#11 ·
Dd#2 and I are supposed to go to a conference in Branson tomorrow morning. I hope the roads between here and there are clear enough to make the trip. MODoT is pretty good about getting the major roads cleared quickly.
I would call and see if it is even happening, at this point. The roads in Branson are bad enough without snow and ice. Those hills can be treacherous.

#14 ·
Heads up, folks, there's another storm moving into place on the same track this one just took and our local weather guys says it's "potentially bigger and more intense than the storm we just experienced." It's due to land in the OK/KS/MO Monday night and could drop another 10+ inches.

#15 ·
NOOOOOOOO!

we already got so much snow and ice. It was so hard to shovel. When I walk in it I sink up to my knees and that is if you are avoiding the drifts.

Kids had two snow days. Hubby's work close for one and get here the second day was if you can.
Much of the town closed. my work did not close so I had to get out (that is why we have four wheel drive.)

#18 ·
Very happy the total snowfall is going to make a big dent in our drought.

I keep trying to think of it this way too, but I'm sick of snow. This could all come in the form of rain and it would make life much easier. We had tractor trouble yesterday and DH got it stuck in the ditch. We need chains on the tires. Had to break down and spend the money to get them. Right now he is plowing our snow (11" this past storm), plowing the neighbor 2 houses down from us because his tractor isn't working, then yesterday DH's Dad's tractor died, possibly lost the clutch, so DH will have to take care of his parents snow for the rest of the season. :(

Needless to say, DH is QUITE sick of snow too.

Yes, it is helping offset the drought, but it's hard to appreciate it right now.

Reactions: tigo
#19 ·
I feel the same way. I love snow, I'm just sick of it right now. I don't mind the normal 2-4" I just didn't want an entire year's worth dumped on me in a week. Possible flurries next week and then it warms into the 50's and I will be so happy.

DH went back to the office today, too. He has been able to work from home and not have to use vacation time for the days off, which was nice but it's time to get back on schedule.

And I hope they collect trash today, because between the storms and the holiday this month it's been several weeks since the truck has been by.

#22 ·
I think it was Oklahoma that got enough rain/sleet to bring their totals up "above normal" . Kansas still has many areas in "severe drought" status and MO has dropped to "moderate drought" with the recent snows. We got about 18-20" here in the last week, roughly 2" of rain which means we are still about 18" short of 'normal'.

I'm hoping for a good wet spring.

#24 ·
I feel for all of you messing with the snow, the wet, the mud, the mess....ugh....snow is so pretty the first time it falls and covers everything...everything looks so clean and sparkly....then, out comes the sun and melts it and it becomes dirty, nasty, wet mud.....hard to remember that is was white and beautiful.....we don't have that problem here in Texas....come on down!!!!!

#25 ·
It's snowing again today, pretty light, but still. I have the blinds half closed because the constant movement of snowflakes is making me twitch.

The city says we will have regular trash pickup next week (they've missed the past 2 weeks) and we can put out up to 6 bags but.... it is supposed to snow again (up to 4") Monday night so I wonder when we're really going to see the truck....

#26 ·
The city says we will have regular trash pickup next week (they've missed the past 2 weeks) and we can put out up to 6 bags but.... it is supposed to snow again (up to 4") Monday night so I wonder when we're really going to see the truck....
Oh gees CH..........I feel for you and a couple of winters back I can remember that same situation. We are getting some hefty rain storms this weekend--starting tomorrow..............so there could be more coming your way!!

Prior winters I didn't get mail for a MONTH...........if we don't dig out our mail box the USPS doesn't deliver!! (but only my SNOT that delivers---others had their mail WALKED TO THEIR DOOR!!!) I had to go to the main station and pick it up............I FINALLY called the boy scouts to come dig me out!!! I can handle it UNTIL the grader goes through...........and always late at night..........then it is crusty and frozen by AM!!!

#27 ·
A different storm than what this post was originally about, but I'm in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and waiting for the 2nd part of a storm! I woke up to 2 or 3 inches of snow this morning, then it hasn't done anything more than flurry since I got up. But tonight and tomorrow, we're looking at more, totaling out to 4-8 inches! Which 4 is not a huge deal. 8 isn't really, either, as we have had more and other places have certainly been hit with more lately. But... part 2 of this storm should be hitting anytime! :)

#28 ·
Winterstar, I'm waiting on that same storm, only now they are saying we will only get rain here. I hope your snow isn't too bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.