MrsMcDowell's Money Management Thread - Page 23
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 LastLast
    McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 12/2/2008

I am trying something new today. While we have a budget in place, we regularly exceed our budget in the 'frivolous' areas--eating out, groceries, etc. Zac and I both get paid on Friday and I am doing something I've never done before--I am putting all that money on paper today--where it's going, how much we have leftover, etc. Wish me luck on that.

Other than that, I have no real updates. Carry on.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 12/3/2008

Nothing big or exciting going on here today. The drive to work this morning sucked bananas since we got a few inches of snow and the wind caused visibility to be extremely bad. I made it to work alright though--just took longer than normal.

After picking Wesley up from daycare, we are going to make a homemade turkey pot pie sort of thing with leftovers. I've got leftover turkey and gravy that I will mix together with a can of mixed veggies. I'll put some biscuit dough on the top and bake for a bit. Should be yummy and filling on this very cold wintery day.

I need to do some laundry and a few dishes tonight. Other than that, we don't have a whole heck of a lot planned.
    McD
    -wife to Z

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 12/4/2008

Wesley and I had a fun night last night. When we pulled up in the driveway at home, there were two patrol cars and a wrecker up the block a bit. There were no EMT's at the scene, so I let Wesley walk up the block to see the wrecker and the police cars. He threw his first snowball at me. I had to show him how to make one first, then he told me to stand very still and threw a snowball at me. I also taught him the very important lesson of winter: DO NOT TOUCH THE YELLOW SNOW!"

On the walk back to our house, I told him that he looked like a marshmallow in his puffy coat, scarf, mittens, and hat. He looked at me and said, "No mommy. I a snowman." All of a sudden, he started waddling after me while growling. I asked him what he was doing and I was informed that he was a "snow monster".

My turkey pot-pie turned out pretty well. DH ate quite a bit and I brought the leftovers for lunch today.The three of us laid on the couch and watched Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer last night.

Not sure what I am going to make for dinner tonight. DH has to stay at the academy so it'll be just Wesley and I. I promised him that if he had a good day at daycare today, we would watch Frosty the Snowman and have hot chocolate with marshmallows.
    McD
    -wife to Z

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 12/5/2008

Well, I am debating about going and warming up my lunch. Canned chicken noodle soup--blah.

DH and I got paid today. Settling down to figure out bills and such, when I realized I forgot my purse with my checkbook at home. I did make a credit card payment though--new balance: 915! It's getting there. We also have two prospective buyers on the weapon--if one buys, then that would be 520$ towards the card and a new balance of 395$. Tryin' not to count that chicken before it hatchs though.

My company decided against having a company Christmas party this year and instead gave us 50$ Visa giftcards. I'm debating between buying myself something and buying the groceries for the Christmas feasties with it.

I decided for Christmas Eve to just have a bunch of appetizers: hot crab pinwheels, little smokies, chips n dip, cheese and crackers, veggie tray, fruit tray, oreo truffles, and dipped pretzels.

For Christmas dinner, we are going to have a feast: prime rib w/ au jus, caesar salad, mashed potatoes, asparagus w/ hollaindaise sauce, rolls, sauteed mushrooms and onions and a cheesecake. Mmm.

We have the Guard Christmas party on Saturday and then we're headed to Illinois, so I probably won't post til Monday.
    McD
    -wife to Z

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

sounds like a yummy Christmas dinner!!
    Mom to Duramax
    Wife to ChevyMan

2014 Goals
    Reading challenge
    Declutter challenge
    emergency preparedness
    52 week money challenge
    Homesteading challenge

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the great work! Have fun on your trip and stay safe!!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 12/8/2008 Back in Iowa

Well Frugal Villagers, I am back from the Land of Lincoln, lol. We had a good weekend and I'm rather proud of myself. Usually, when we head down to Illinois, we stop at a fast food joint on the way down and back up. This time, we didn't stop at all! I packed little snacks, pop, juice, and everything for us. It worked out pretty well.

We celebrated Christmas with my family. Wesley was extremely spoiled with all of the presents he's received. I am going to have to come up with some alternative arrangements for our toy storage. I'm thinking of investing in some rubbermaid bins, that way I can kind of 'swap' out the toys and it's not like he's just playing with the same old things over and over. Anyone have any good ideas?

The parents sent me home with some leftover homemade veggie soup that I'll be eating on for the rest of the week and some homemade spinach stuffed manicotti. I'm really looking forward to eating that! I was also sent home with some canned goods and toilet paper. My dad is an awesome coupon-er and he gets tons of stuff free. Luckily for me, he shares.

We took Wesley up to see Santa and Mrs. Claus at the log cabin in my hometown. He screamed non-stop. I'll post some pictures this a.m. if I have time. He wouldn't even look at Santa--he finally said (while looking at me and bawling), "Santa I want a wed helicopter pwease!" Well...this Santa is now on the look-out for a red helicopter. We came about 20$ under budget for him and since that's the only thing he asked for for Christmas I want to make sure he gets it under the tree.

DH and I also were blessed with many awesome gifts. Hubby got some items for his X-Box and tons of new dvds that he's been wanting. I received some corningware and pyrex dishes from my gramma, which I have been wanting. My parents got me some really nice emerald earrings and a necklace.

DH and I both got paid on Friday. I made a 60$ contribution to the irregular expense fund. We are now at $481/1200. I'm going to try and squeeze an extra 20$ in there so we can get it up to 500$ before the end of the year. I also made an extra 40$ payment to the credit card. New balance is $875.65.

I received some paperwork regarding the repayment of my student loans. My first payment is scheduled to begin in March and right now I cannot afford that. I'm not sure if I should send them deferrment/forbearance requests now or if I should wait until closer to the due date. Anyone have any thoughts or advice about this subject?

I have to have lunch out today. My new part-time teller started today and I have to take her to lunch. The bank will reimburse the expense for me though, so that's pretty nice.

Dinner tonight will be leftovers. I need to clean up and do laundry tonight. Other than that, Wesley and I will be playing!
    McD
    -wife to Z

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You're doing great. I'm enjoying reading all these challenges. They are so inspiring.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like everything is going well for you! Your debt payments always inspire me.
    I used to read The Lion The Witch & the Wardrobe to my kids in the winter, snuggled up under a blankie on the couch. They always loved the description of the tea at Mr & Mrs Beaver's house. Now my gd is enjoying the same stories! It's nice to escape to Narnia & forget about money Being chased by wolves doesn't seem so bad....

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 12/10/2008

Well, I went grocery shopping Monday night since we were supposed to get lots of rain turning to ice, then snow on top of it all on Tuesday. I need to get better at my grocery shopping. I've gotten pretty lax lately. Spent 85$

We ended up getting the rain, which turned to ice, and was covered with snow on Tuesday. Wesley and I did not venture out so I'll be needing to make up those hours somehow.

Received a 3$ Pinecone Research check in the mail. Used it for a credit card payment. New Balance is 872$.

I brought tons of hot cocoa mix and a microwavable pasta dinner for lunch.

Also, remember how I got a new furnace? Did I tell you it had a programmable thermostat? Guess how much it could save me if I actually programmed the thermostat? PROBABLY A LOT BUT I HAVEN"T DONE IT! I about fell over when my electric/gas was almost 150$.
    Last edited by McD; 12-10-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: more to say
    McD
    -wife to Z

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nichole,

The number I have heard is 1% of your energy bill for 1 temperature degree for 8 hours a day.

I don't know how accurate that # is, but if it's anywhere close to the mark, then dropping your house temp 2 deg during the day and 4 deg at night, every night, would save you 8% overall, as I understand it. 4% for the 4 deg's over an 8 hour night, and 2% * 2 for the 2 8 hour day periods.
    Last edited by Greebo; 12-10-2008 at 01:52 PM.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Math aside, any savings is good in this economy. PROGRAM it!!
    The newer ones have a copy feature that allows you to copy it from day to day.
    I saved 100% by buying nothing. Best sale of the year.

Think for yourself, question everything.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The thermostat is a constant cause of discontent in our house as it is. I am quite fine with leaving it at 70 when we are home and drop it to about 65 when we are sleeping. DH however keeps trying to set it at 75 degrees. Sigh.
    McD
    -wife to Z

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMcDowell View Post
    The thermostat is a constant cause of discontent in our house as it is. I am quite fine with leaving it at 70 when we are home and drop it to about 65 when we are sleeping. DH however keeps trying to set it at 75 degrees. Sigh.
    "SOLDIER YOU PUT THAT THERMOSTAT BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT!!!"

End of problem.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    "SOLDIER YOU PUT THAT THERMOSTAT BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT!!!"

End of problem.
    Hehehe.

I can totally relate to this...though not the same way. I am the cold one, and having never actually had to PAY utilities before this summer, my comfort zone has definitely been between 72 and 75! A few weeks ago DH and I agreed to keep it at 70, and today (you would be proud!) I resolved to keep it at 68. I am bundling up and ready to make the change. I am actually adjusting to the temperature, and can't really imagine living at 75 anymore - I think I'd get roasted right out!

This thread is inspiring, by the way. It is amazing to see you taking control and achieving consistency! Well done, and best of luck!