MrsMcDowell's Money Management Thread - Page 24
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We were a 70 75 degree family....when hubby had the side job at the oil company.....and paid the bill...

we are now at 62 at the highest and 58 at night....
    it takes about a week to get used to it...
    and the.... comments of the children in their boxers......and shorts....(mind you when hubby was alive we wore sweats in the summer cause central air was so cold) they are cold .... PUT ON SOME CLOTHES....

I am not sure I could live in the 70's and be comfortable now.... how I dress... sweats, warm soft socks and sweatshirt....
    and very comfy.... not over clothed....

and think we all sleep better

In New England we have not hit our biggest dips yet... considering electric blankets with auto shut offs for xmas... just to make sure.....

but I do no have a programmable thermostat so I get up earlier than the kids just to kick it up to 62 for morning and they are thrilled....... and go back to sleep for another 1/2 hour...

and they think it is warm....

it is just an adjustment period....
    and agree with greebo..
    soldier.... agree on a figure and let it be automatic.

even if it is 68 you are saving!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I programmed the thermostat last night. At 5 am it kicks up to 70, dips down to 65 at 8, bumps up to 73 at 3, then kicks back down to 64 at 1030.

I know a lot of soldiers have a problem adjusting to the cold when they return home from iraq and I would have more sympathy for him if that was the problem. However, I refuse to turn my thermostat up to 75 because he's cold when all he is wearing is gym shorts!!
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

haha... men are so funny... good job programming the T-stat. Hope it works for you guys!!
    Mom to Duramax
    Wife to ChevyMan

2014 Goals
    Reading challenge
    Declutter challenge
    emergency preparedness
    52 week money challenge
    Homesteading challenge

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 12/13/2008

Well, hubby finished the academy yesterday. The graduation ceremony was awesome. Zac asked that I pin his badge on him, which made my day. He's bona fide now, lol!

I am working today until 2, after that I need to run to Walgreens, then to Target. Once I get home, I am going to be trying to get dishes done, laundry going, cleaning up. I also am trying to figure out better storage for Wesley's toys.

I received my reimbursement for my 33$ lunch. I figured since the money was already out of my account, I may as well keep it that way. I sent 20$ to the irregular expense fund, which means that it is now at 501/1200. I tacked the remaining 13$ onto the credit card. New Balance: 859.65

Hubby's Guard check is coming in on Friday. His drill was only 1 day, so it's not as much as normal. But it's 130$ more than we will have started out with and I am tacking that onto the credit card balance too! The projected balance after that payment will be 729.65

Payments are being sent out for the Optima, our water, insurance, and daycare this week. Next week we'll have daycare and the cell phone. Good news though--our cable and internet has been wonky for the past week. They sent someone out to completely fix it all and they are giving us a credit on our bill. It's only 7$ but that's 7$ more dollars that I don't have to come up with.

As you guys might know, I am the money handler in our house. Hubby trusts me implicitly but I try to keep him involved, even when he resists. I am thinking of investing in a dry erase board to hang in our office and track all the spending on it so that he has a visual accounting of it.

I took a survey for Pinecone last night, so I've got 3$ heading my way. I also made an awesome philly cheesesteak pizza. It was divine. Tonight we are heading to the mother-in-law's for dinner and we'll probably feast on leftovers tomorrow.

Wesley and I have a pajama Christmas party to attend tomorrow evening. We are decorating cookies with the members of my mommy's group. We are looking forward to that.

Other than all of that, I dont have much planned for the weekend. I wanna take a bubble bath at somepoint. Maybe read a book.
    McD
    -wife to Z

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You're doing great. Keep it up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think one of the wonderful things about your thread is how conscientious you are with the little amounts. $3 here, $7 there. It is so easy to gloss over those. It's a great reminder for all of us that it's pennies that make up dollars.
    Donna

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you guys so much. I think one of the reasons that I have been able to stay on track is because I know I have you guys to be accountable too and I don't want to let you down!
    McD
    -wife to Z

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Let us down! I should think not. We would be SO disappointed. (Ratchet up the pressure a little....)

By the way, congratulations to Zak on his graduation. I'm sure all of you were very proud, as well you should be.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nichole,

Ceashels and I made our own white board. We got the board at Home Depot for like $10.00 and some fiberglass trim to wrap the borders. $20, a little caulk and a few minutes effort and we had our budget board.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just read this whole thread start to finish, and I've gotta say I applaud your resolve to downsize your debt. You go girl! Inspires me to get my own rear in gear and start eliminating some silly debt.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 12/16/2008 Tuesday

Not much to update. No progresses on debt or anything like that since I last posted.

Wesley had a blast at the pajama Christmas party. He decorated a cookie, made reindeer food to sprinkle outside on Christmas Eve, and ran around playing all night.

I spent more money than I would have liked to on my Target run. I finished up our Christmas shopping completely though and purchased some rubbermaid totes to completely revamp our toy organization. I have the week after Christmas off so I am hoping to use that week to completely clean and revamp my house.

I am rethinking the dry erase board. Number 1--I have no place to hang it in my office. Number 2--We already have a bulletin board in the office. So I am thinking of coming up with something to hang on my office bulletin board. Plus, I can hang a picture of some of our goals/wants up there so motivation for the two of us.

I have to go to Wal-Mart today. Well okay, I don't HAVE to, but I want to. I am sticking to the list though and am getting the following: plastic window kit to cover our windows, gingerbread house fixings, and furnace filters. I am also picking up some pictures from DH's graduation. We are putting a picture of him holding Wesley in his police uniform in a really cool frame that has a mat printed up about grandparents being the foundations of families or something and sending to Zac's grandparents for Christmas. I printed a few pics to hang on my station here at work. And I printed some pictures of Wesley to put in the Christmas ornaments he is painting for all of his grandparents. That's a tradition for him.

I made a stir-fry for dinner last night using up some odds and ends veggies. Very inexpensive, but filling. I had a can of vegetarian abc soup for lunch, it was delicious and I am planning on making lasagna for dinner tonight. Should be delicious.

My mommy's group has a stitch n b*tch planned today but we've got quite a bit of snow and it's still falling so I am not sure if I will be attending that or not. If I do, I'll just keep trucking away on the pillowcase I am cross-stitching.

This week should be fairly easy enough. Tomorrow I am meeting friends for lunch to celebrate a birthday. Friday night my mommy's group is having our Christmas party. We are doing a white elephant type ornament exchange and I am using the free Hallmark ornament I got when I purchased all of our holiday ornaments this year. We are doing Christmas with Zac's dad and step-mom on Saturday and with his mom and step-dad on Sunday.

Zac's dad and step-mom already gave us one gift--the gift of a Costco membership. I've never been inside a costco. Anyone wanna give me some tips?
    McD
    -wife to Z

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I buy things at Costco I look at how much it would be if I bought it in a grocery store. For example, DH has been wanting me to buy brownie mix so he could make brownies. They have been around $2.50 a box at the store, so I have been avoiding them. At Costco I saw a box of Ghiradelli brownie mix for $7.80, it contained 5 bags so it comes out to around $1.50 per bag. Cheaper than the grocery store. However, that's not always the case, so be sure to buy things that you know the grocery store prices of. Or better yet, bring your price book if you have one!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I think one of the wonderful things about your thread is how conscientious you are with the little amounts. $3 here, $7 there. It is so easy to gloss over those. It's a great reminder for all of us that it's pennies that make up dollars.
    This is one thing I learnt a long time ago. It's the small amounts that add up so quickly. We use to get gas for our vehicle and then buy chips and pop or twisters. That added up so fast. That's how I learnt that the little amounts are what really hurt because you don't think of them in the way you do with larger amounts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We really love Costco. Sometimes we find that we spend a lot more money there than we had planned because they have really great prices on "fun" stuff. For example, we often find ourselves splurging on beverages that we don't normally buy. The thing to remember is to stick to your list when you go to Costco.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 12/18/2008 update

Not much going on here today. I'm at work right now but I am watching the weather. If it starts getting really icy then I am heading home. I do need to go grocery shopping tonight. I'll be spending more than normal but I am getting the fixings for our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day feasts.

I have a lot I need to do tonight--laundry, dishes, wrap a few presents. We finished up buying the FIL his present. DH was supposed to do it but he didn't so it was left up to me. I bought him the movie No Country For Old Men, the book The Road (which is actually written by the same guy who wrote the book No Country For Old Men), and a 94 cent box of Zachary brand chocolate covered cherries. It's kind of an inside joke. One Christmas when Zac and his brother and sister were in high school, Zac gave his brother like a 50$ present. He gave his sister a box of chocolate covered cherries that he bought at a gas station. Looking back now, it's considered funny, but at the time it was awful.
    Given that these choco covered cherries are Zachary brand, it seemed perfect.

I am plotting out the paychecks that we are receiving tomorrow. I've got all the bills listed that need to be paid within the next 2 weeks and am finding about 900$ leftover. Some of that will go towards our variable expenses and our irregular expense fund. I am hoping to be able to make a big payment to the credit card tomorrow!! WHOO!

Hubby and I have been talking about his spending at gas stations again. He's on night shifts and in the past 3 days when he's been on patrol, he's spent almost 40$ on snacks and drinks at the gas station!! We discussed some different options and we are going to use the CostCo membership to purchase gatorade, bottles of water etc. I'd like to do reusable bottles that he can refill but we'll start out slow I think.

We decided that instead of buying a dry erase board we are going to turn our office bulletin board into the budget board. We're going to post the budget, track spending and post pictures of the goals we are working towards. It's easy not to stay focused when you don't have a visual reminder I think.

Not sure what I am going to make for dinner tonight, but I'm having leftover lasagna for lunch. YUM!
    McD
    -wife to Z