MrsMcDowell's Money Management Thread - Page 25
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 152223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You are doing great! Keep it up. Good idea about talking to your DH about his spending while on night shifts. That can add up to alot fast! You are so inspirational with your posts...so keep them coming!
    May No Spend Days - 14 /15
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 132 /365
    2014 May Gas Challenge - $105 / $80
    May Keep Fit - 580 min / 750 min

2014 - 52 Week Saving Challenge - 3, 8, 9, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spending money at gas stations on snacks and drinks is one thing that my dh and I struggle with. You are on the right track getting him snacks and drinks from Costco. That is something I told my dh about. His stop is usually in the morning before work. So we bought him some breakfast sandwiches, that spending has tapered down quite a bit.

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you can get your hubby to bring home the gatorade bottles when he is done you can reuse them. I have found the gatorade bottles to be the sturdiest plastic bottles out there and the caps don't leak a bit. You can get powdered gatorade mix at walmart and mix up your own and refill the bottles. $40 is a lot to spend at the gas station, but it is probably a big adjustment for him to start working the night shift like this. He will figure out ways to make it work.
    Jennifer

ds 14
    dd 12
    ds 10
    dd 8

My blog - www.gettingaheadblog.com

Savings Challenge

Furnace $0/$3000

Family Reunion Beach Vacation $100/$3000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMcDowell View Post
    We decided that instead of buying a dry erase board we are going to turn our office bulletin board into the budget board. We're going to post the budget, track spending and post pictures of the goals we are working towards. It's easy not to stay focused when you don't have a visual reminder I think.
    I agree that it's hard sometimes to feel as though you're plodding towards an end that you can't even see. I think a family budget/inspiration area could be a good tool for DH and me, too -- I might have to use the side of the refrigerator, though! My hope is that seeing concrete figures might get DH more motivated to save instead of spend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good for you on planning to put some of that extra cash on cc debt.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 12/19/2008 Friday aka ARE YOU EFFING KIDDIN' ME? DAY

I have dubbed today as "Are you effing kiddin' me day?" Why is that you may wonder? (Even if you don't wonder, I'm telling you why.) We have like 2 inches of ice on top of about 4 inches of snow, with some more snow on top of the ice, then some sleet on top of that. Travel is not advised per the Dept. of Transportation. And yet would you like to know where I am at right this minute? WORK!

Reason number two that it's been dubbed as "Are you effing kiddin' me day?" is because at 10 pm last night (after I've been to the grocery store mind you!) hubby tells me that his shift has a potluck tonight and he wants to bring something good. He then starts thinking out loud. The conversation went a little something like this:

DH: I want to take something really good and really impress the guys. I can get a good prime rib for what, $7? Let's do that.

Me: Uh No. Prime rib is 7$ a pound on SALE! You are lucky you are getting it for Christmas, so you are definitely not taking it to the potluck.

DH: Sounds good, pick me up a 14 pounder.

After he regained consciousness, he very sensibly decided on taking some oreo truffles and mini-peanut butter cheesecakes. Which means I have to go back to the grocery store, run home after I get off work, hurry up and make oreo truffles and mini pb cheesecakes, then get ready for my stinkin' Christmas party tonight. Yikes.

In other news, my mommy's group is having our Christmas party today. We're doing an ornament exchange and having appetizers. The ornament that I am taking was free from Hallmark when I purchased our ornaments this year, so that will be frugal. After that we are going for an alternative form of exercise. And by alternative, I mean skanky, and by exercise I mean: Learning how to dance on a stripper pole.

Payday today. I added another 60$ to the irregular expense fund. We are now at $561/$1200. We are slowly but surely making progress. Eventually, I'd like to get to where I just keep 2K in there as a sort of slush fund.

Payments went out for the Optima and the GTO. I also made a payment to the credit card. New balance: $700.34 It's progressing slowly but surely.

I've taken a few surveys from Pinecone lately so I should have about 10$ in checks coming. I'll be applying those to the credit card.

We have two Christmases this weekend, so I may not be on much. Wish me luck in dealing with the in-laws.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Forgot to add that lately we've been getting lots of little checks in the mail from family for various reasons: Christmas, belated college graduation gift for me, congrats to Zac for graduating police academy, etc.

So Wesley has 50$ going to his savings account. I have 75$ going to mine. And Zac has 135$ going towards his. YAY!
    McD
    -wife to Z

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good luck with the in-laws this weekend Nichole! Also, on your Mommy's Christmas party with learning how to dance on a stripper pole....too funny....maybe it will come in handy later for making a few extra bucks!!

Just kidding...I couldn't help myself!

2014 - 52 Week Saving Challenge - 3, 8, 9, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hugs coming your way. Even though you've had a few rough spots you're still on track and that is great. WTG on those savings accounts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Maybe I missed a post, but have you heard anything back on Wesley's tests?
    Donna

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 12/20/2008

It's a good day. I ended up not getting anything extra at the grocery store for DH's potluck. I told him to take chips and salsa that we had on hand.

The 'pole party' was stinkin' awesome. Number One: I learned some valuable skills. Number Two: It was an AWESOME workout! I am sooooo sore!!! Number Three: I have bruises all over my body. I look as if I have been beaten with a broom or something. I am seriously looking into investing in Carmen Electra's portable pole. Its on sale for 115$ and technically, my place of employee will reimburse me 1/2 the cost up to 100$ for any and all workout equipment. Not sure how well that would go over, lol!

We haven't ventured out at all today. It's cold and snowy. So we stayed here. I l cleaned and reorganized my kitchen, and got rid of a ton of crapola. I've also started reorganizing Wesley's toys. That's a daunting task.

Wesley and I dipped pretzels in chocolate and covered in sprinkles. Later on I'll be doing some Christmas baking to use up some Half and half cream and heavy whipping cream. I also need to straighten up in our living room.

Christmas with Zac's dad and stepmom was cancelled due to the bad roads out where they are. Christmas with his mom and stepdad is still on for tomorrow.

In other news, hubby had a call on patrol that caused him to get two hours of OT! That'll be a nice add-on his check.

AND IN THE BEST NEWS EVER: RECEIVED WESLEY'S TEST RESULTS BACK TODAY! ALL IS NORMAL! YAYAY!
    McD
    -wife to Z

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nichole, I am so pleased the results are back normal! Tis a relief indeed

And I think the pole is a very sensible investment indeed!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great news on Wesley's tests. That's awesome!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Never mind pics of you pole dancing (though I'm not sure they're allowable posts!) I want a picture of your boss's face when you tell him what exercise equipment you bought.

I'm glad the bruises didn't require medical attention. That could have been a bit awkward.

Great news about Wesley. I just saw you other post.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am so glad to hear about Wesley's results! Awesome....great Christmas present.

Now for the pole thingy......ROFLMAO!! I can just imagine your boss' face when you explain what type of exercise equipment. Maybe he will ask you to do a demonstration for everyone at work....lol

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 152223242526 LastLast