Results 1 to 4 of 4
12-02-2002, 05:48 PM #1
- Join Date
- Apr 2001
- Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
- Blog Entries
- Rep Power
Article: Your Own Business from Scratch: Candy Wrapping Business
Written by: Alice Seba
Web Site: InternetBasedMoms.com
Your Own Business from Scratch: Candy Wrapping Business
*What is a Candy Wrapping Business?*
This business includes making candy bar wrappers for promotional purposes and gifts. Wrappers can be made for birth announcements, party favors, special occasion promotions, weddings, showers, business promotions, fundraisers and more. In addition to wrapping candy bars, you can also do labels for CDs, wine bottles, lifesavers etc.
*Candy Wrapper Supplies *
1. Color laser printer - If you choose to have a professional print shop to print your wrappers, your costs will go up. However, it may be an option if you are not able to afford the cost of a laser copier outright.
2. Graphics Software (PrintShop, etc.)
3. Scanner &/or Digital Camera (if you'd like to add photos to wrappers)
4. Paper Cutter
5. Paper for Wrappers (high quality semi-gloss)
6. Candy Bars (if you are doing the wrapping for your clients - some candy wrappers just sell the wrappers)
*Candy Wrapper Skills*
Graphics software knowledge (however, you can purchase and find free templates)
Customer service skills
*Candy Wrapper Prices*
Always consider your costs before pricing your products. Check out http://retailindustry.about.com/libr...e_pricing1.htm to help you formulate prices.
The average price is $1.00 - $5.00 per wrapped regular-sized Hershey Bar. Per bar prices are lower for larger orders. Some companies charge a set up fee in addition to the per bar price.
To lower your cost, shop around for paper, ink and candy bar prices. Buying in bulk will always decrease your costs. You can order candy bars directly from Hershey, but many candy wrappers will tell you that going to your local Cosco or wholesale outlet will get you a better price.
*Get Your Business off the Ground*
1. Offer a few freebie jobs and put them in your portfolio with a testimonial from your client.
2. Place samples in local shops. People can purchase a candy bar for a nominal fee. Offer the shop owner an incentive by sharing the profits. Try bridal shops, baby shops, florists, gift shops.
3. Also provide samples or business cards (samples will likely generate more interest) to wedding planners, even planners, at trade shows, professional fundraising groups and obstetrician offices.
4. Book a table at a wedding fair or trade show.
5. Approach your child's school (and other local schools), sporting teams, recreational groups, daycares, etc. about fundraising with candy bars.
*Online Marketing Ideas*
Either design or have someone design a web page to promote your business online. Your web page is the perfect way to promote both the online and offline components of your business. It's where your clients and potential clients can view your samples, prices and product updates. Here are a few ideas to promote your website and online business:
1. Build a mailing list and send out a newsletter on a regular basis. Promote your business and specials in your newsletter, but do try to offer more than a sales pitch. If you do this, your readership will increase. Try recipes, event planning tips, etc. For your more corporate clients, you may wish to take a different angle.
Ask permission to add your clients to your mailing list, run a free draw off your site with one of the conditions of entry being that entrants are added to your mailing list and provide a place to subscribe to your newsletter on your site.
2. Join some home based business discussion groups. These are a perfect way to network and gain potential clients. Home based businesses often prefer to support their fellow home based businesses. Try http://groups.yahoo.com for some good groups or start your own!
3. Form partnerships and exchange links with wedding, baby, event planning and fundraising sites.
*Additional Candy Wrapper Resources*
Templates: http://desktoppub.about.com/library/...dywrappers.htm (templates for Microsoft Publisher - free. Commercial use *might* be granted if you first contact email@example.com to request permission)
Templates: http://www.candywrapperdesigns.com ($10 each)
Chocolate Wholesaler: http://www.candywarehouse.com
Candy Wholesaler: http://www.candydirect.com/html
Candy Wrapper Supplies: http://www.a1candybarwrappers.com
Candy Wrapping Free Tutorial:
**or a More Comprehensive Look at the Candy Wrappers Business**
If you are serious about starting your own candy wrapping business, we recommend you purchase MyMommyBiz's Start Your Own Personalized Candy Wrapping Business eBook.
This comprehensive guide will save you a lot of time in additional research and includes everything from: how to make templates and wrappers; advertising & marketing; keeping track of orders and selling online.
Visit http://www.MyMommyBiz.com/ebooks/candywrappers.html for more information.
Alice Seba is the editor of http://www.internetbasedmoms.com. Fire up your online business with business ideas, web page building advice & marketing tips. Subscribe to the newsletter by sending a blank email to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.orgIf you'd like to help support Frugal Living by Sara Noel, my syndicated column, e-mail, write, or call the managing editor at your local newspaper and ask them to publish it in print or online. It's internationally syndicated through Universal Uclick. Thank you for supporting Frugal Village.
Follow us on Twitter!
Follow me on:
Become a Fan of Frugal Village on Facebook!
Family blog: Sign Saga!
“A monumental event can happen any day." --Peale
"Leap and the net will appear.” --John Burroughs
Would the child you once were be inspired by the adult you've become?
- 12-02-2002, 08:39 PM #2
- Rep Power
I only see one problem with this whole idea, I am A CHOCOHOLIC!!!!!!!
12-02-2002, 08:43 PM #3
- Rep Power
Thanks Sara, sent this along to my SIL
12-02-2002, 08:53 PM #4
Me too, heaven.....
I'd wrap 'em up alright.....
'One for me, One for you'....lol!
By jamie79 in forum Frugal LivingReplies: 10Last Post: 01-22-2007, 12:14 PM
By Sara Noel in forum Money ArticlesReplies: 3Last Post: 12-03-2002, 11:10 AM
By Sara Noel in forum Money ArticlesReplies: 1Last Post: 12-02-2002, 08:49 PM
By Sara Noel in forum Money ArticlesReplies: 0Last Post: 12-02-2002, 05:53 PM
Tags for this Thread