Frugal Village Forums banner

June '08 Grocery Challenge

7K views 152 replies 71 participants last post by  janis362529 
#1 ·
I hope no one minds if I start this thread!

DH and I just found out we'll be having a baby in January :surprise: so we're really buckling down on the budget EVERYWHERE. Our goal for June's groceries is $225. I know that may sound high for two people to some of you but we buy organic milk and some fruits and veggies. This figure also includes some stockpile items and health/beauty items.

#2 ·
Congrats to you!!!!

My goal for June groceries is: $350

This is super low compared to what I usually spend, but I'm determined to keep it low!

This figure includes diapers/dog food/hba

#3 ·
Congrats !!

This is my first time on this I was reading the May Grocery Challenge and wanted to join but felt it was a little late.
I knew I wanted to join in June though.
I am going to use out of my stockpile and only will need to buy milk, bread and produce:fdance:.
I am going to set aside $100 for the month.

#5 ·
I was going to post a goal, but since I have no idea what I normally spend, that's a bit tough. I always guess that it's between $400 and $500, including diapers and stuff, but who knows?

So my goal is to track everything I spend that's not a bill, and not buy anything we don't need. See how low I can get it, then I can tweak it for July's challenge. :)

#7 ·
Congrats!! :)

I'm going to really tighten the belt for June. We have plenty of meat and staples so with a lot of planning.......I'm going to set a goal of $200 for the month and that is for my family of 4 plus 1 dog. That will be for dog food and h&b stuff as well!!

#8 ·
I haven't been here in almost 2 months!! NO wonder my budget is so messed up!! I'm hoping that now that our garden is planted, as summer progresses, and things become more in season (produce that is), I'll notice a huge difference in our grocery spending. I need to plan better, and be more organized. We have plenty of meats in the freezer, as well as a wide variety of canned & dry goods in the pantry, so basically all I'll need to buy is fresh produce & dairy, breads, frozen foods, pet foods, & paper products. So, with that being said, I'm going to say $500 for the month of June, because I'd like to hopefully work on our stockpile of TP again. We're down to our last 24 roll pk (I haven't bought TP since last October), so I need to watch for coupons and sales!!

#9 ·
I'm doing a super low amount this month. Only 150.00 for the 5 of us. We just got a half a cow, have alot of our pork left over, and just stocked up on a chicken sale. Plus, I bought "half a share" in a local CSA (community sustained agricultre) so each week I get a small box of fresh veggies. That, and my own garden is beginning to show promise. (lettuce and onions already!) Finally, we will be on vacation for a week too. So basically it just milk, bread and pantry staples. (I even barter for eggs from a farm friend)

#10 ·
I am going to aim for $200 for our family of 5 plus $50 additional to restock our stockpile(lived off it completely last summer living at my Dad's camp)So $250 a month

#11 ·
I am also going to go low this month. We already purchased all the groceries for our vacation ;ast month, the freezer is packed with meat, and HBA is stocked thanks to CVS deals. So, I am going with $200 for food and HBA.

I will not be counting our vacation budget for entertainment or eating out while in Florida. We have already planned/funded our vacation budget and I consider it separate from groceries. The food I purchased to take on our trip came out of our May grocery budget, which finished over budget due to some meat stock ups, price increases and vacation grocery purchases. We will have to do better in June because I can't afford to go over budget every month.

#12 ·
I'm going to shoot for $320 again this month. I'll just have to be careful with the stockpile building. I think this is a sustainable amount but we'll see how it goes. I attempted the same amount for May and busted as I had really depleted my stockpile.

#14 ·
Well mine is going to be super low this month.
I am only going with $100 mainly only need produce/diary and will be going to the farmers market. Will only purchase other stuff only if out of it.
We are going to be eating up the stockpile. Cabinets and freezer are bursting.
Will not need and hab products this month as I am fully stocked up.

#16 ·
I need some help in this area! DH hates the stuff I buy (actually food you have to cook from SCRATCH) and he will spend almost 200$ a week on groceries! Hot pockets, pizza, COOKIES...COOKIES...COOKIES. I need a way to show him that we can eat better and CHEAPER. Any ideas? I would like to only spend 100$ MAX a week, and start a stockpile. But I am at a loss.

#18 ·
I'd do with him what I tell my kids:

Eat what we have or you starve. :)

In all reality, that would totally work but like any other DH, he'll think you're nuts. I'd just leave him at home and buy stuff to make hot pockets, pizza and cookies from scratch. My DH was really adamant about buying cookies, pizza, etc until I started making cake, etc. It not only cut down on our grocery bill but it capped his sweet tooth.

#17 ·
Oooh, grats on the new baby! I <3 babies, omg...

on that note, we're looking at spending 400 total in June for the four of us.

That doesn't include stockpile cash, which I've set at about 20-30 dollars a week (depending on what's for sale and if it really is the best deal for me). We did cut down alot on our eating out, so that's a plus and hubby brought home 500 dollars more this week in pay! We're really strapped until at least the first of July, and then we have school items to buy for DS #2 since he starts in mid-August.

So June = 400 dollars!

#20 ·
I'm game. A newby here
family of 4 I will say 300.00
(to get this right you put what you have spent on the left and the goal on the right?
(50.00/300.00)?

also should this total be for food, hba, pets, ect. or do I just decide?
thanks!

#25 ·
I see in your profile that you are from Kenosha! I was raised in Kenosha and have lots of family that still live thers! Just seeing the name gives me the warm fuzzies!

#23 ·
Congratulations on your upcoming new addition!!!

For June I am increasing the budget for groceries...we do a lot of cooking out during the Summer & it tends to cost more...so for June I am going to say $400.

#49 ·
Changed my mind, I am going to say $450 for June...remembered my dad & his friend will be at my place within a couple of days. Currently they are parked at my niece's...

#26 ·
I usually spend $1000/month ($250/wk) for my family of seven. That is, before I joined this forum. We do have a garden and I have been clipping coupons. For the month of June I will start small and say $175/wk. That would be $300/month savings. I have to start somewhere and if I can do this then maybe for July I can reduce it more.

#27 ·
I am in for 320 this month. That is 80 per week for our little family of three and one dog.

#29 ·
Going to aim for $250. Really going to get brutal with the coupons! This will include food, HBA, paper, dog food, and stockpiling for 3 and an adult dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.