I will NOT use my credit card!! 6/16-6/22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I will NOT use my credit card!! 6/16-6/22

I struggle with this so this is my challenge to myself. Join in if you'd like.

The cards are locked in my fire-box. If that doesn't work, I'll look for the duct tape
    Ruth

Got married Feb 14, 2010 at Akaka Falls on the Big Island of Hawaii

In loving memory of my 8 year old MinPin 'Jake'. He was a great companion and I miss him dearly!!!!
    05/05/98 - 10/07/06

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for you! Next step - cut up those plastic pieces of poverty creation and convert to debit card only use!
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Registered User DebtFreedomFighter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are 11 months into our Total Money Makeover ala Dave Ramsey.

Amazingly, we have been able to make great progress paying off the credit cards NOW THAT WE AREN'T USING THEM ANYMORE! Of course, it still stinks to have to be STILL paying off credit card debt a year later (and probably another year to go) -- but lessons learned I guess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Didn't even flinch yesterday, well, that's not completely true, I went to fill my car yesterday and $50.99 would have been a decent cc purchase, but I didn't have it on me

Now for today... shouldn't be any issues. I'm thinking maybe I could do this for a week... heck, wouldn't it be nice to go a whole billing cycle without a cc purchase?! hmmmm....

I just gotta say NO (and leave it locked up).
    Ruth

In loving memory of my 8 year old MinPin 'Jake'. He was a great companion and I miss him dearly!!!!
    05/05/98 - 10/07/06

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Dave'sGirl View Post
    Didn't even flinch yesterday, well, that's not completely true, I went to fill my car yesterday and $50.99 would have been a decent cc purchase, but I didn't have it on me

Now for today... shouldn't be any issues. I'm thinking maybe I could do this for a week... heck, wouldn't it be nice to go a whole billing cycle without a cc purchase?! hmmmm....

I just gotta say NO (and leave it locked up).
    They say (who the heck are they anyway??) Sorry, got distracted there.

They say that it takes 21 days to break an addiction. 1 down, 20 to go. YOU CAN DO IT.

If it will help reinforce the new behavior, you could tell us why you are undertaking this challenge? Did something specific happen, or is this more of a general, "boy am I sick of paying lots of interest to the banks" response?
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Greebo, I haven't paid interest on a cc in at least 5 years. I don't carry balances.

I'm just at a point right now that I've just paid off all the furniture etc for our new home (lost everything in a fire, thus my signiature) didn't pay a dime of interest on anything, so, I'd like to lose that cc mentality.

I will have to buy a car really soon, so I need to save, not spend.

I just started my life over again so I need to get a new thought process. I want to retire in less than 5 years, and I don't want to keep buy buy buying. That's why
    Ruth

05/05/98 - 10/07/06

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Greebo, I haven't paid interest on a cc in at least 5 years. I don't carry balances.

I'm just at a point right now that I've just paid off all the furniture etc for our new home (lost everything in a fire, thus my signiature) didn't pay a dime of interest on anything, so, I'd like to lose that cc mentality.

I will have to buy a car really soon, so I need to save, not spend.

I just started my life over again so I need to get a new thought process. I want to retire in less than 5 years, and I don't want to keep buy buy buying. That's why
    Ahhh, I understand now! Thanks!

Greebo

Three

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We'll that was close, I took my visa out to maybe have to pay for the dentist appointment yesterday. My thought process was I don't have enough in my checking. It's in my savings, so I could pay with the cc and then get the money out of savings when the bill comes.

They didn't ask for payment. They may today (I have another appointment), so I will keep the card on me but I will NOT go into any store with it.

I did tally up my receipts and I have a balance of about $235 that will be due. I haven't used them since closing date last billing cycle. If I can go the distance I will have no cc bill next month. Now there's incentive!

Again, thought process here is that I have monies set aside for medical so how I pay for it doesn't concern me too terribly much. My challenge is to stop that mindless spending and being too tight when the bill comes.
    Ruth

05/05/98 - 10/07/06

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

[QUOTE=Dave'sGirl;929237]We'll that was close, I took my visa out to maybe have to pay for the dentist appointment yesterday. My thought process was I don't have enough in my checking. It's in my savings, so I could pay with the cc and then get the money out of savings when the bill comes.

They didn't ask for payment. They may today (I have another appointment), so I will keep the card on me but I will NOT go into any store with it.

QUOTE]

Have you ever heard of CREDIT CARE. It is a CC but doesn't have interest charged until after 1 yr balance.
    It is for medical care (dentist, doctors, Vet. Etc) the doc has to be participating on the card.
    We have it for our dentist but we pay the bill off within 1 or 2 months, if its a big bill, if not than we pay immediately. Like I said no interest is charged unless you have a balance for 1 yr.
    It is nice to have because it also works at the Vet too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No Stacia, I haven't heard of that. I'll have to look into it...

Still no cc use and they are safely put back away. Looks like my ins will cover what I have had done so far. I will need to save up a little more cuz I'll need 2 crowns and ins doesn't cover crowns.

But at least I'll have no cc payments soon, so that'll help save.

I'm not kidding myself, this has just been easy cuz I haven't gone anywhere but work and dentist. The test will be this weekend.
    Ruth

05/05/98 - 10/07/06

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I got a flat and so I had to have that fixed and have my tires balanced. I used my cc but I have money in savings I will pull out. Actually did already subtract it. That's ok, it comes out of my ef and I will refill it this next Friday (payday).
    Ruth

05/05/98 - 10/07/06

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DG: Can you convert your card over to a debit card?

Greebo

Three

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made it easy for me to not use my CC because I closed all my accounts. That way I have no temptation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I struggle with this so this is my challenge to myself. Join in if you'd like.

The cards are locked in my fire-box. If that doesn't work, I'll look for the duct tape
    we use credit cards for most of our purchases. and then pay them off each month, and then get cash (like 2 - 5% back), depending on purchases. our card is through chase. as long as you pay them off each month, you can actually come out ahead, IMO

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Greebo, that's an idea, but then it's so easy to get to my savings. I make it a point to pay off mindless purchases with my paycheck, not my savings. That way I actually short myself. *hmmmm, this is appearing to be a viscious circle, isn't it.

I think what I have to do is just what I'm doing. BREAK THE CYCLE! I'm doing well, with this challenge to myself. I am not using it for anything other than necessary things that I have money put back for.

I will continue this challenge for the rest of the month. Like you said Greebo (or rather what 'they' say ) it takes 21 days to break a habit. That's my goal with this challenge....to break this habit.

Thanks for joining my in my journey
    Ruth

05/05/98 - 10/07/06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast