Frugal Village Forums banner

July '08 Grocery Challenge

8K views 140 replies 67 participants last post by  mombottoo 
#1 ·
Well it looks like I made the June challenge on paper. If I add all the out to eat money we wasted this month we wwwaaaaaayyyyy blew it though. I know there's a few days left of June but I won't be doing anymore grocery shopping so I'm calling it quits and moving on.

For this month I'm going to up the number again AND I'm going back to include all out to eat runs that don't come out of our personal allowance money. I need to hold us accountable. I don't like how high the number feels like its going. My thought at this point though is that if I can first get a number that works consistantly then I can worry about scaleing it back later.

So for July $420 for hygiene, cleaning supplies, and all food not taken out of personal allowance money for 2 adults, 2 bottomless pits, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and some fish. I'll be praying and schemeing so that hopefully I don't have to increase the number again next month.

#4 ·
OK. I'm in - first time in a LONG time. Anyway it will only be DH and I (kids are all at their dad's until Aug 5, then one comes back (the one that lives with me full time).

So, for July I say $200 - I also will allocate $100 for stocking up - because I want to stock up before she comes back home.

I will keep receipts and track them.

#6 ·
I'd like to join in. I'm going to say $300 for myself, dh, 3 teenagers and 2 BIG dogs.

#7 ·
Yes, I totally blew June. I am in for $320, that is $80 each week for house/pets/food. Not including eating out which will only be done once per week for July.

#10 ·
we are gonna try 200 again not inc HBAs which i set aside 50 (though we seldom use that much) and some $ for dog food we are testing out new brands so i dont know how much to allocate yet

#11 ·
I'm in again. I went a little over in June, but it could have been worse. I'm afraid that if things keep rising in price, I'll have to find a way to increase the budget a bit, though. I'm in for $400 again. Everything (cleaners, medicines, pet supplies, etc) for 2 adults, 2 children, 5 dogs, and 3 cats.

#12 ·
I'm also in for July. We may be pushing it this month with both kids home from school and the need to increase the amount of snacks around the house. I'm changing the snacking routine due to DS's dental problems, so we're going for more dairy-oriented items.

My goals:

Grocery - $400
Stockpile - $80

Stockpile items needed this time around:

Crackers
Kids' toothpaste
Floss
Popcorn (in bags)
Potato chips
Pizza

July is going to be tricky with mom coming in for two weeks but she plans on helping out with the grocery budget and wants to take us out a couple times while she's here (yay!). We'll see how it goes. :D

#13 ·
Okay, I went over June's budget by $12. However, I'm not beating myself up because we purchased food for the family picnic and had company twice that we bought food we wouldn't normally buy.

However, I'm going to stick with $400 for the month of July, as dd is in camp and I send her with a lunch and two snacks, which ups the food going out. I'm hopeful to stay under this time around. As of today, the fridge and the cupboards are almost bare, so we'll see how it goes.

#14 ·
I'm in this month. I reckon as long as I keep trying I'll eventually make it under budget!! I'm in for $500 + $100 for stockpiling; so $600 total. Does that make sense? lol

#15 ·
I'm in again for 100.- this month for absolutely everything including stockpiling at Aldi's. Stayed 50.- under my 150 my June budget so I'm sure I can do it.

#16 ·
I am in for $100 again.
We are trying to eat down the stockpile. ( I know I should be increasing it but want to rotate it. Plus the sales have not been good here at all.)

Will be allowing $35-$40 extra for 2 lugs of peaches that I want to can. Either will be July or August. Depends when the freestone are ready.

With the price of canned fruit going up and all of the sugar and HFCS in the canned I am going to can my own this year.

#50 ·
I have already spent $39 of my $100 budget so no way am I going to make $100. Plus running low on basic staples like flour and butter.
I am going to up my budget to $200. Plus the $35-$40 for peaches.

DH picked up a porklion on his way home yesterday. It was $16.xx. I well get at least 4 meals and a couple of lunches out of this. Putting this in July's Budget since we will be eating it in July.

Went to aldis and got some produce.
2 catelopes
pint blueberries
5 bananas
and some other items.
$8.xx

Went to the regular grocery store and got
2 watermelons
2 green peppers
1 head lettuce
green grapes
red grapes
and a few other items I was out of.
$14.xx

Spent $39/$200 plus $40 for 2 lugs of peaches when ready.

#18 ·
I am in for 400 this month. That includes a houseful for the 4th of July holiday plus a week with the grandchildren. ( yoiu know I will need to buy snacks, ice cream and items that I do not normally get! LOL) I will try to use 50 of that for stockpile items to keep the level of product higher

#19 ·
I'm in. I have set a lofty goal this month. As close to ZERO $ as I can. We have a well stocked pantry and 2 full freezers. I may need milk some where in the month, other than that I hope to spend nothing ( unless I find a deal at farmer's market - but garden is doing well) Wish me luck. Good luck to everyone!!!!!:dollar:

#21 ·
I'm in for $350 including pet food, HBA, and eating out. This will really be a belt tightening after our spendy ways this month! We have a freezer full of a beef share and our CSA already paid for. Gonna try OAM cooking & more crockpot meals for the first time.

#22 ·
I am going to join in with $100 again.

#92 ·
I'm going to go with $100 and a pledge not to buy anymore soda!
This month is going pretty good so far. I put a Hundred Dollar Bill in my Grocery Envelope. I've spent just under $50 and that was a huge stock up trip. With the exception of fresh veggies/fruits & amazing sales I shouldn't have to spend another dime this month!

Although I'm planning on hitting up some sales today that I saw in the flyers:applause:

***Haven't Bought Soda yet! Still finishing up the stock I have at home but when its gone its gone and I'll have to get my caffiene fix from tea***

#25 ·
ok, ok - I'm in!

really in this time, not just the kind of in where I say I'm in, but then I never really admit to anyone how I did (even if it was good, I just forget to report in)

so, for July '08 - I'm in for $350 (includes everything)

#26 ·
I'm in for $250 for 15th july to 15th aug (when we get paid), going to be using some of our stockpile to supplement this as will be very hard but I am determined!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.