One new thing this week
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb One new thing this week

I challenge you. Start small, tweak something you're already doing to make it more efficient, leave one thing out.......If we each implement one new thing each week to either save time, money or energy (or even better, all 3!) and inspire each other we can make our own lives easier and better and help others to do the same (not to mention helping others with our spare time and money).

For me? I'm turning off the computer now and it won't be back on (thusly saving millions of kilowats of energy) until evening time. I'm gonna get my work shorts on and do something productive for the rest of the day. It's not a big thing but the point is to make small changes that add up to big differences.

Anyone care to join me?

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We will be having a TV free day today! It's gonna be tough too, I was gonna take the kids outside today and stay outside to keep them away from the TV (which we try to do twice a week), but of course...it's raining! But we'll try it...I think we might build and indoor fort!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We will be going outside to cut up some trees.

This will

#1 - Clean up the yard some
    #2 - Give us some wood for winter (we only have a wood stove for heating)
    #3 - Get us outside the house
    #4 - It's some exercise

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just bought a red onion to add to our homemade pizza tonight: I am going to use what I need tonight and save some chopped onion for a homemade pizza later in the week or early next week and then I am going to chop up the rest of the onion and freeze it for later use this month. I am going to do the same thing with the sausage that I bought, I'll brown it all today and only use what I need tonight. Then I am going to freeze the rest for later use. I'm going to only use half the pizza sauce from the pizza sauce jar and save the rest for the next homemade pizza that I make. I'm only going to use half the cheese from the package too .

I am washing laundry today and I am going to wash a load of towels and dry them. Then wash two loads of my clothes, since I hang half of them on a drying rack, I will combine the rest of the wet clothes and dry them together.

I am going to read on my balcony later and turn off the A/C, and my computer to save energy this afternoon .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have 4 surge protectors, I think I am going to go shut off the one on our desktop, as soon as this show is over, the kids will read and off goes that surge protector, I'll put one on my tv/vcr and shut that one off. What other items are big phantom drawers?
    BS2 ~ #1 CC ($10000.00) and car loan ($2000.00)
    Purging ~ 764/2014
    March Challenges
    Water 32 /2790 oz.
    Workout 0 / 15 days

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marie78 View Post
    I just bought a red onion to add to our homemade pizza tonight: I am going to use what I need tonight and save some chopped onion for a homemade pizza later in the week or early next week and then I am going to chop up the rest of the onion and freeze it for later use this month. I am going to do the same thing with the sausage that I bought, I'll brown it all today and only use what I need tonight. Then I am going to freeze the rest for later use. I'm going to only use half the pizza sauce from the pizza sauce jar and save the rest for the next homemade pizza that I make. I'm only going to use half the cheese from the package too .

I am washing laundry today and I am going to wash a load of towels and dry them. Then wash two loads of my clothes, since I hang half of them on a drying rack, I will combine the rest of the wet clothes and dry them together.

I am going to read on my balcony later and turn off the A/C, and my computer to save energy this afternoon .

Right after I typed this list I took my laundry down to the laundry room. It's only $1 to wash and $1 to dry, it's the cheapest I have ever paid in an apt. complex to do laundry. We have been having lots of issues with the washer and dryers in our building though. I inserted my quarters to wash my clothes and then it jammed and wouldn't come out, the washer didn't start and I couldn't pull out the quarter dispenser. I pushed it in as hard as I could using my laundry soap container for extra heft. The insert popped out and the washer started and 3 of my 4 quarters will still in the quarter slots. I fet a bit guilty, but I didn't mean to only pay 25 cents to wash my towels. I guess I saved even more money with the laundry then I thought I would

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Marie~This used to happen to me when I lived in an apt that had coin operated laundry. When the coin holder became too full, it would be very difficult to slide in and out, and most times it would only take one or two quarters. I called once to let the complex know. They were supposed to send some one to empty the coin holder (he didn't come for a week). After that, I just let it go. I figured if they cared, they would empty it more often.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods4 View Post
    Marie~This used to happen to me when I lived in an apt that had coin operated laundry. When the coin holder became too full, it would be very difficult to slide in and out, and most times it would only take one or two quarters. I called once to let the complex know. They were supposed to send some one to empty the coin holder (he didn't come for a week). After that, I just let it go. I figured if they cared, they would empty it more often.

I didn't know that it was so full of money and that's why it gets stuck, it makes a lot of sense though. We have two washers, but the other one has been broken for a month now and I bet the quarters have really piled up in this one working one. I don't feel so guilty now, if they want their money they should come and empty it sooner I didn't use it again, because I was afraid without my fiance's strength, I wouldn't be able to get it "unstuck" again. He'll be home soon and we'll finish our laundry, probably the cheapest I have ever paid to wash clothes with a coin slot attached .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can I save time and energy without saving money?

Yes?

WOO HOO!

Honey, we're ordering pizza tonight!!!
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Registered User cutetexancowgirl2002's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually set my A/C at 83 during the day and turn it down to around 79 around 6 pm. I'm going to try to wait until 10:30 pm or so to turn it down. It should have enough time to cool off enough to sleep comfortably.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm trying really hard to not turn on the a/c even though it is near 90 and humid today. The fans are blowing! And I am sweaty and unmotivated. And the kids want me to make pizza tonight

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, this won't save any energy, but tonight, I'm going to start knitting Julia's Christmas scarf while riding the exercise bike and watching my Little House on the Prairie dvd. Saves money on Christmas and saves time because I'm multitasking, and saves me always feeling like someone is following me up the stairs and turning around and realizing it's just my butt, because I'm going to be exercising!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey, great going everyone

Greebo....at least you joined the challenge....

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This week I am challenging myself to save money by not throwing any food away. Instead of buying what I need to make what I want, I will take what I have, and make what I can! I throw away way too many veggies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I decided that I would do my grocery shopping on Monday evenings when I get off from work. That gives me Sunday to check out the coupons and to read the sale paper and make out my grocery list/menus AND (too many ands in this sentence? LOL) it keeps me from making an extra trip on the weekends which saves me gas! I implemented this change in my schedule today and it worked out well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast