Gibbler Kelly's challenge to herself
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Gibbler Kelly's challenge to herself

Okay after reading some of the other posts where people are trying to pay down debt, and seeing them doing it, I got really motivated, and I thought that its enough of this living like we are, enough talking about the money troubles its time to take back our lives and start laying the smack down on debt.

I started another thread a while ago and got a lot of great responses from it. You can read that thread [ame="http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109219"]Here[/ame] if you want to.

The reason we are in debt is due to a lot of mistakes on our part and also due to DH being off sick for a long time. But he is back to work now.

While reading MrsMcDowells money management thread and a few other threads like this, I got suddenly inspired. More then I have ever been to FIX THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL. MrsMcDowell inspired me a lot mostly because she is close to my age, yet so young and is doing this now instead of making the mistakes that we made early on. I made A LOT of mistakes in my early 20's we were even bankrupt before .

I have been trying more lately then I was in the past, but we will REALLY start trying starting tommorrow, and my October 15th we SHOULD be doing pretty well bill wise. I HOPE!

We do not have an emergency fund at all hiding now.

I have started stockpiling since I joined this site, I got a few things gathered up that I got for free or really cheap, so I am ok in that department right now, will pick up more things as I see them extremely cheap or free with coupons or whatever.

These are my regular monthly bills that are behind right now, or the bills that just came in the mail yesterday and today, so these are the totals that I need to get to $0 so that they will be completely new next month.

A lot of this is a repeat of my other post, but I want to see it going down in this thread so I am writing it here so I can watch my debt go DOWN DOWN DOWN!!

Phone: $75.99
    Electric: $276.52
    Cable/internet: $100.00

The first big step I did was call to cut the cable. So that will save us aprox 35 - 40 dollars a month. I will let you know the exact amount when the new bill comes in October.

Other bills that I need to get Paid

Hospital: $25.00
    telathon pledge to the childrens hospital here: $20.00
    Columbia House: $91.07
    Bus Fee (lunch time bussing from school DD): $38.00 Has to be paid by OCT 5

Other things that we owe:
    Lawyers fees to my brother: $1000.00 I THINK (will ask him to be sure exact amount)
    owe my brother back mortgage: $600.00

Grocery store here: $300.00
    Garage for car stuff: $300.00

Student Loan Debt:

Student loans for both DH and me
    APROX: $16000 each
    Aprox: $32000 all together maybe a little less. Not sure if the exact figure, I need to figure this out.
    (UGH UGH UGH)

Anyway, so this is my start to a debt free lifestyle, one where we don't have to worry about everything as much as we have been.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you've jumped on board!! I know doing this has really helped me to be more accountable!

Good luck to you as you start on this journey!! You can do it!!!
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You'll do great. Just remember that it will take time, that's the hard part.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck. Cant wait to follow your journey!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks.

Okay so my other bills that Need to be paid monthly that are already done for now are:

Mortgage: $180 biweekly paid until end of september
    Car insurance: $57.51 paid for september

I also forgot to mention that My husband is getting his eyes done today, he needs new glasses and perscription work glasses. We have to pay this out of pocket, BUT we do have insurance, we have to put the claim in right away and will get back most of the money in our bank account in a few days.

DH got insurance through work so that comes out of his check automatically. With this we get 100% coverage on medical: Hospital rooms, prescriptions etc.
    100% on any dental that NEEDS to be done and cleanings and stuff
    50% on cosmetic dental such as braces etc

This is great because our daughter is on a few different meds for asthma, it saves us a lot of money, one of her puffers is $119 for around 2 months less depending, Another puffer cost $19.08 dollars a month, A nose spray costs $36.82.

DH has epilepsy and his medication costs: $67.25 a month. Also when he was off work he was taking various meds for inflamation and pain so we saved a bunch of money with this insurance plan.

In fact in one year we have saved $1032.99 on medication alone with this plan. There is no deductable for meds.

On top of that they paid for a private hospital room for three nights when I had DS2, all we had to pay was a $25 dollar deductable.

That is not including dental and eyes. So the insurance plan is well worth it for us.

I will be paying some bills today once DH gets home from his eye appointment as well as doing some grocery shopping. I will update again after all this is done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay Quick Update before I leave to go grocery shopping.

The electric bill was: 276.52 (140.28 was the new bill we just got a couple of days ago) I just paid 156.52 on it making it $120.00

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Progress!!! Woot!
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kelly, I'm glad to hear my thread is inspiring you. What show/movie was it that talked about 'Account-a-bill-i-buddies?'
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everyone starts at the bottom. The important thing is to set a plan and stick to it.

When are you starting you EF? Are you behind on any bills you need to catch up on first?
    The math never lies, budget in INK!

EF $4900

Camper (Start March 2013) $4645.26/ $1580.27

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

First I have to apologize for being MIA, Remember when I called to cut my cable and they said they were coming on the 19th to cut it....well my internet provider and cable provider is the same company, when he came to cut the cable he did something to the internet. We called Friday night and they said that there would be someone out on Wednesday the 23rd, well he showed up today so a day early is good. But I will be calling and getting my bill adjusted for the days that I did not have internet, I am not paying for what I did not have.

On top of this I got sick with the flu on friday night and am just feeling a little better as of yesterday and today. I still have the cough, but I don't feel as miserable as I was.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMcDowell View Post
    What show/movie was it that talked about 'Account-a-bill-i-buddies?'
    I have no idea LOL.

Cricketlegs: I won't be ready to start my emergency fund until my regular bills are up to date, and a few of the minor bills are out of the way.

I actually have taken this month to stock up on a few things that are WAY cheaper then normal here and also I had dollars off coupons to use as well. For example when I did my grocery shopping on friday I got a few free items because I had coupons for them. Also the laundry detergent that we use was on sale and I had a dollar off coupon so I could get it for 2.99 so I got two bottles with 2 X $1.00 off. Also my son wets to bed every night he is 4 now almost 5. I buy pull ups for this. I know that some people might disagree with this, and figure that I should just wash the bed clothes etc. BUT my reasons for this are:

1. He wets to bed MORE then 2 times a night, so either I would have to change his bed cloths 2-4 times each night IF he wakes.

2. Sometimes He does not wake when he pees and sometimes I do not wake and he has slept in it. (will not make this mistake again)

3. He is completely embarrassed by it and the pull ups take a little of the embarrassment away from this thing that he has to deal with every night, and if thats what I have to do so that he feels a little better about the situation then so be it.

Anyway the under jams and pampers pullups were on sale for 13 something a pack, we usually pay about 17 dollars, even for generic brands, sometimes we can get generic for around 14 dollars. Anyway on top of the 13 something a pack I had 2 X $3.00 coupons, So I picked up 2 packs for $10 something each.
    I also got some dish liquid for .49 cents because I had coupons, and I got one bottle free.

Anyway I am stocked up on pull-ups, dish liquid, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, soap, shampoo, and all that stuff for at least three months, and I will not be spending any money on this unless I am going to get it for ridiculously cheap or free. I got all this stuff a lot cheaper then normal and then topped the price using a coupon. So the next three months are going to be months to really stick it to the debt.

I have actually saved almost $80.00 using coupons this month. All of which are on things that we need to buy anyway, except a few free items, but hey they were free.

Is it bad for me to stick some freebies in stockings at Christmas time??

There is a Chapman's site that you can get points for playing games on. My kids play this site sometimes. I opened an account on this site in my baby's name and I have gotten a few free things come such as a ice cream bowl and spoon, and two note books and pens. I plan to keep the notebooks and pens to stick in the older kids stocking Christmas, and the bowl and spoon I will put in the baby's stocking. (is this bad??) I also got a couple of free bracelets come in the mail which I will stick in DD's stocking.

At first I kind of felt bad that I was planning to do that, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that it would be fine, they are not old enough to realize I got the item for free.

So anyway I am stocked on every day items, I payed some on my electric bill and I got my cable cut, so I guess thats a nice step in the right direction. Also we are pretty well stocked with groceries until sometime in October other then maybe milk or a few little things and so far the amount that I have spent on groceries for all of September is under $300.00!! YAY

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Go ahead and give them the freebies. I do it all the time.
    Debra
    Married to Michael
    Mom to
    Chassidy 26
    Tanner 21
    Johanna 17

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is getting so cold during the night time now, it is deffinately time to get the 'T' fixed on the chimney and start lighting the fire. Right now I can light a small fire, but i would not light a big one before that is fixed. I am so nervous about getting the part, because I am afraid that we are going to have to replace the entire chimney. But that is it I guess. Has to be done, there is no way around it.

I plan to go to the school today and pay the $38.00 bus fee for DD, that is the total fee for 1 year of lunch time bussing, so thats not bad. Works out to $0.20 a day. Can't really complain and it saves money in the long run because I don't have to send lunches to school. I find eating at home is even cheaper then if I had to send something in for her.

Last night I had a fairly cheap supper (dinner), I made golash. consisted of:

pack of routini noodles : $0.77 cents because I got it with a coupon and on sale.
    2 cans tomato soup: $0.66 ($0.33 each)
    Ground beef: Aprox: $2.75 (about the cost of half a pack)

So my total for 5 of us for supper was: $4.18

I added a little spices to it. I would loved to have added some onion and peppers, mushrooms and all that stuff but DD, DS and DH don't like those things so I didn't bother.

It was good and fed the entire family, there are 5 of us. DH is a big eater so there was none left over. But still not bad.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There's nothing wrong with using freebies as presents. Don't feel bad--even when they are older. It helps enhance the gifts you give without increasing the costs.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I didn't get the bus fee paid yesterday, I took it to meet the teacher night last night and they couldn't take it then so she told me to send it to school with Robyn this morning. So that is what I did, So that is one more thing off of my list that is DONE.

so out of my one time bills:

Other One time Bills:

Hospital: $25.00
    Donation to childrens hospital: $20.00
    Columbia House: $91.07
    Bus Fee: $38.00 DONE

We had to light the fire this morning, it is really cold. Beautiful day but cold.

Yesterday for supper we made sweet and sour meatballs, white rice and potato. I made enough so that there would be left overs for today or for DH to take to work tommorrow.

I took out the babys diapershirts (onsies some people call them) and started wearing them on him. Most of them were too small. He did have a couple of 18 month ones that are still ok. But I will deffinately need to get some 24 month ones. So I need to have a look and see where I can get them for cheap, a thrift store or something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, so no luck finding the used onsies yet, but I will waite it out a little longer and see if I can find some within the next two weeks or so. If I can't find any second hand in his size I will have to break down and buy some.

DH is going to go to the hospital and pay the $25.00 hopefully tommorrow. He travels to that town for work so rather then getting a money order and paying $5.00 for that then he can just drive there and pay the $25.00. So hopefully if all goes well that will be paid tommorrow.

We got invited out to DH's grandparents for supper. That was really nice of them, and we really enjoyed it.

I do not have much to update today really.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast