Frugal Village Forums banner

Electric Usage Challenge

58K views 1K replies 92 participants last post by  cmu 
#1 ·
I thought it would be fun to challenge ourselves to reduce our electric usage in the month of October. I have a goal to keep my daily usage below 25KWH (21 would be awesome!), down from last month's average of 31. My lowest average in the last year was in the month of April and it was 20.6 kwh- this was a bit of a fluke because the next lowest average was 27.1

I look at my meter every few days, sometimes even every day- particularly if I know I did more laundry or dishes or in some way used more electical that day, and I like to keep track of how much.

So I am challenging myself to continue monitoring my usage and I am going to post my results as often as I check my meter. If anyone wants to join me, I'd welcome the company! :D

As of 10/1:
daily avg since last bill = 21.29 KWH

Reactions: mimijolene
#4 ·
great! I check mine right after the kids go to school so it's always the same time. And if it isn't every single day, just post when you do! :)

#5 ·
As of 10/2:
daily avg since last bill = 21.25 kwh
usage in last 24 hrs= 21 kwh

Have a great day!

#7 ·
As of 10/3:
daily avg since last bill = 21.22 kwh
usage in last 24 hrs= 21 kwh

#8 ·
When I checked yesterday, we were at 36kwh. Not nearly as low as everyone else here, but definately a big improvement for our family. I would love to see it get under 30kwh for this month.

#9 ·
Good luck! You can do it! Turn off those lights and TVs at the power strip or wall! Power down the computer when not in use, switch to energy efficient mode on dishwasher if you have it (if not, open during dry cycle and let them air-dry instead of heat-dry). No fans or heaters on in rooms you aren't in. :cheer4:

Be in it, to Win it!

Oh Yeah!

GO! GO! GO! :cheergrl:

You gotta getcha, getcha, head in the game!
(that's a HS Musical reference in case you don't know!) ;)

#10 ·
I'm in! I can't look at my meter daily, I don't even know which one is mine, since I live in an apartment, but I can continue being an electricity nazi! My daily average for last month was 12.9kwh per day. I want to see if I can get it lower!

#11 ·
Wow, that's awesome! I seem to be hanging right around 21 kwh per day but I'm happy with that if I can keep it there all month! :)

#12 ·
Woo hoo! Just checked the meter today. 30 kwh since yesterday. Now to see if I can keep it up for the whole month! :teddy2:

#13 ·
Wow! What a big improvement! :fight:

#14 ·
Just checking in for the night, but checked the meter again today, and we only used 19 kwh! I was pretty giddy about that! On the other hand, it rained all day and night so the house was cool, did not need to use any a/c, fans, didn't do any laundry, only one load of dishes. So it was an unusal day for us. But I'll take them as we get them!

#15 · (Edited)
As of 10/3:
daily avg since last bill = 21.36 kwh
usage in last 48 hrs= 43 kwh (21.5 avg.)

I have used a little more electricity in the last couple days and it must just be because it is the weekend and everybody is home watching tv, playing video games, etc. But that's ok! =)

#16 ·
Ok. It's time for me to get accountable about my electric usage. I'll have to start checking my meter tomorrow. Looking at my bill I'm averaging about 40kwh a day!!! That's craziness. I just changed my programmable thermostat to be a little warmer when we sleep. I'm usually such a wuss about it being cool when I sleep. Even though we sleep with a regular fan and ceiling fan.
My DH also pointed out that our electric rates have gone up recently. I checked and they have gone up a little. I have a Kil-a-Watt EZ that I'm going to go around and check to see how much each item in my house is using. I'm ready to get this under control!

#17 ·
Sounds like a very nifty device- let me know your results!

Love your cocker spaniel! I have 2 myself! :)

#18 ·
I' outta this one- while I do try to keep our electric usage down as much as possible, my husband runs his own machine shop, part time, out of garage- how much we use depends largely on how much work he's got! Good luck to all doing ti though.

#19 ·
As of 10/6:
daily avg since last bill = 21.00 kwh (that's down!)
usage in last 24 hrs= 19 kwh!!! woo hoo!

my previous post has the wrong date, should be 10/5 but now I can't edit.

#20 ·
As of 10/7:
daily avg since last bill = 20.67 kwh
usage in last 24 hrs= 19 kwh (Again!!!) ~ How am I doing that? I honestly don't know!

I'm doing the happy dance!! :)
:dancing:

#22 ·
As of 10/7:
daily avg since last bill = 20.67 kwh
usage in last 24 hrs= 19 kwh (Again!!!) ~ How am I doing that? I honestly don't know!
Haha! Good job!
We averaged 24kwh per day over the weekend. Me thinks the next utitlity bill is going to make me smile :applause:

#24 ·
As of 10/8:
daily avg since last bill: 20.86 kwh (I miscalculated in the last post)
last 24 hours: 19 kwh ~ WOO HOO!

#25 ·
As of 10/9:
daily avg since last bill: 20.93 kwh
last 24 hours: 22 kwh ~ Boooo! I wonder if someone left a light on overnight or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.