Frugal Village Forums banner

Hollie's Debt Destruction Challenge

5K views 85 replies 21 participants last post by  homesteadmamma 
#1 · (Edited)
Now it's my turn.... I can't put this off any longer.
Half of the employees at Dh place of employment received the pink slip yesterday :thud:.....It wasn't Dh....yet. I am so scared! I don't want to go through this again!

The last time Dh lost his job was 5 years ago, Dh retrained (2 years) got a great job.....and here we go again.... this has been the story of our lives! At the mercy of the economy. Last time we were better off... I had savings and no debt. Now (check the siggies) things are different. We amassed 26,000 in student loans and credit card debt over the nearly 3 years Dh was unemployed ...

I thought I was doing really well whittling it away. We are down to one student loan. I put the other student loan on the line of credit because it had a very high interest rate. I put some of the loans on the credit card because it had a 6 month super low interest rate...and then I had to use the card again because of Dh's car had serious problems.

But with the job situation and the economy the way it is I am freaking out! If Dh lost his job now we would be in a super terrible situation....

So I am going to post here to use every frugal tip I ever learned and to keep myself accountable....while I get an EF fund in place and pay down as much debt ASAP. It is Black Belt frugality time people!

I will be posting my day to day financial gains (hopefully no losses!!!) as I toddle twords my goals...

A little about me...
I am a homeschooling mom of 3 (17,14, 11). The older two are gifted young athletes and are the reason it is hard to keep food costs down!!! Thankfully the older one's training is being largely subsidized these days and the younger one is nearly there. But because he isn't at the same level yet he doesn't cost as much yet either....
The younger two also take music lessons but that is largely subsidized by the school they are registered with.

I already am very frugal by nature and apply all the tricks of the trade that I can think of but it's all the "life" stuff that add up. Glasses, orthodontics (paid for in full), serious running shoes for kids so they don't wreck their knees, orthotics for youngest feet, physio, well you get the picture....
My children are no longer inexpensive little people.... they cost a lot!
My eldest does work as a coach through the summer and pays for most of her own expenses, and my 14 year old hopes to be offered a job next year.....So that will help but in the meantime he is this hunking big kid that eats like an elephant while he is growing like a weed!

Thank-you for being here...I love you all!

See less See more
#3 ·
Good luck, I also look forward to reading the updates.

#5 ·
Thanks, Brandi, Kelly and kmsinsa I need all the moral support I can get.

It is a dull and dreary day....but I am resisting putting on the heater. I have only had one day I had to put on the heater so far this year and I am hoping to extend it until??
I did stubbornly hang the laundry out side....I am a bit of an optimist.

Today will be an errand day to maximize my gas use..... I have put off my erands as long as I can but I need to go today. Our group mailbox was broken into last Friday and so the main post office has stopped delivering to us until all the locks have been changed. So I haven't had mail since then. But the post office is in the opposite direction of where I do most of my shopping etc.... So I haven't had a reason to go there...
So today I am going to take the recycling in, go to the discount bread store, pick-up mail, go to the pet store to buy meal worms (for our pet Chameleon), and gulp go to the running room to check out the price of serious runners for my son... who desperately needs new ones. I hate to go because I will either have to use a CC or wipe out my measly EF. Wish my son was old enough to work. Well that will be soon enough.

Leftover soup is in the crockpot, we will have lunch and then head off.
Dinner is Lentil and brown rice casserole. My challenge is to serve nutritious dinners for the whole family (5 large people) for under $5!

#7 ·
I have found that since I started my thread here I am making more of an effort to do things, and I am noticing things much more, like for instance I just went around and turned off all the lights that did not need to be on. I am really starting to get into this lifestyle. again Good luck.

#8 ·
Yes, Cricket I am praying that Dh keeps his job.... YES YES PLEASE!
And Kelly I am pretty good about keeping lights out etc.. But i am extra careful now...those pennies really add up.

Back from my errands.
I had a weeks worth of mail to sort through and there were the always arriving bills of course..... but also a $5 survey cheque which I will put in my EF fund and 2 free calculators that I ordered from Chapmans (free with points) and they are very nice too...

I got some great deals at the outlet bread store. Five loaves of probiotic bread, 4 large pkgs of whole wheat tortillas and a bag of bagels. Cost $8.50 ! I also got two loaves of garlic bread for .75. I really lucked out today!

Son's super runners..... $99 down from $129. At least they were a little bit discounted but they are totally designed for his feet. I also had to buy 3 pkgs of carbo blocks for the races this weekend $7.50 ugh!

Finally got a hold of Garmin to deal with a faulty heart monitor that my Dd uses for training. They will be replacing the whole unit free of charge... YEAH.

Two lentil brown rice casseroles are in the oven. I will serve them with Salad and one of the Garlic breads I bought. That should do us for a couple of lunches too.

Older two kids are at the club training. Youngest one is reading. I will soon be taking her to her fiddle practice in preparation to a show at a country fair this weekend. She is also going to be at scout camp too (I will have to pick her up for two hours in the middle of the day for the show)... so we still have to pack for that.

I still hope to get more apple slices drying tonight.....

Its been a so so day so far... I hated haing to pay for those runners with credit.... hated it but I don't know what else I acn do.

#9 ·
:chug: YOU can do this! I am here to cheer you on....I am so enjoying following all the FV journeys on here.......keep your chin up. :hand:

#10 ·
I'll be cheering you on as well. It's tough but you can do it!

#12 ·
At least you have a month or so now to come up with the $100 to pay the cc bill in full when it comes. It gives you a little time to save and still allows your son to have the sneakers he needed. Good Luck with your debt destruction challenge. I know it's getting cooler now, but if you have anything you can sell, it's still yard sale season around here. The proceeds from the yardsale could go towards the sneakers or other debt pay offs.

#14 ·
Thanks Frugal Chick, Walker, Tiny dancer and Cricket......thanks for your support!

Yard sales don't work well here... I live in the boonies with bears for neighbours, LOL. Or so it seemed this year there were so many around. We are too far out for anyone to come by.

Its been an overly busy day. Packed up my youngest for scout camp (free). It will be a great weekend for her. They learn so many things ..light wieght camping, out door cooking, survival, wilderness first aid.... plus they have tons of fun....what a deal!

And I also cooked a giant crockpot of spaghetti sauce. Enough for 3 meals. I like to make my own big batch of sauce because I can make it full of vegetables (many homegrown) and meat for about $5. The same quality would cost about $15 if I bought it ready made and the bought sauce would have no meat!
The Friday night before racing we always have pasta and then on the Saturday we have some kind of Lasagna.

I felt a bit down today....stressed.... so I made Chocolate pudding cake. The first time I ever have! I always wanted to but the directions just seem so weird. Well it came out perfect and the kids loved it....and it was nice and chocolatey for me....just what I needed:uhh:...

I got a fab deal at staples for $3.20 I got 8 pkg. looseleaf paper, 1 pkg. pens, 5 fancy duotangs... everything was %50 off the clearance price...so I stocked up.

I also got a huge bag of mushrooms (4lbs) for 3.00 which I sliced and put into the freezer... so today was another spend day....

But I put another $5 survey check on my EF!!!

Little tiny steps..

#16 ·
Good luck and I hope dh keeps his job, the way i view it when i am worried about things, is if i havent got cash i simply don't buy it, no matter what it is. I would try and do maybe no spend months except for basic foods and gas and pay down some of your debts and up your emergency funds. To me security is more important than the kids wants, trust me i know how you feel my kids are not doing any sport this term because i cannot in good conscience pay for it with cash knowing our savings need to be topped up. Good luck and my best tip is stay out of the shops, and cook everything from scratch at home

#17 ·
Great job on the homemade sauce...sounds yummy! :) We do lentil and brown rice casseroles, too...my Dh loves 'em (Mr. Meat & Potatoes only!).

Could you sell some things on craigslist? Free to list, and any cash ya earned sounds like it'd be a blessing right now.

Good luck to you!! I'm cheering you on!! :D

#18 ·
Good luck to you. I am praying that your DH is able to keep his job.

Hugs

#19 ·
Hi Macemesmum I understand what you mean.....the last time Dh lost his job (and went to school) my children were younger (under 12) and I pulled them out of all extracurricular activities.....BUT it is VERY different now.

My 17 Dd is a high performance athlete and ranking 9th in Canada in her age group(third in the states, she went to the US nationals in Oklahoma...if she were American she would be on the national team with a shot at the Olympics already.... the sport is way bigger here though). It would be like telling Michael Phelps, uhhh I decided not to let you swim anymore because bathing suites cost too much...
Dd's training is already being heavily subsidized because she has proven her potential....And if she makes it to the national team she will receive free tuition to any college/University for every year she is on the team and that tuition can be deferred. And she will be given a living allowance to train while she is in College.
Our costs for US nationals were $200, yet she was gone for a week and everything else was paid for. Next year if she makes the Canada Games team she will be away for 5 weeks (Nova Scotia, PEI, Quebec, Lake PLacid and Ontario) and it will be entirely paid for. Also, She makes enough money coaching School Field Trips that she pays for most of the additional expenses now ( I still try and pay for clothes, most are from Value Village, and shoes).
Ds is 14 and starting to follow big sis's footsteps, he seems to have the same talent and work ethic.... he just needs to be grow into his ever lengthening body, ie: put on Muscle, and he will start moving into the high performance arena too. He isn't travelling much yet so costs (other than runners) for him are still small.

There is still the potential for private sponsorship for Dd too which will then pay all additional costs. So I hope that comes through.

Sorry for the book but I just needed to explain....she is close to becoming a full scholarship athlete.... and Ds may too..... runners are a very small expenditure for such a large potential return.

#20 ·
Well finally today was a NO spend day!!! The only thing I bought was a pkg. of Always pads which were on sale for 1.79 and I had a $2 off coupon! Free....is sooooo nice.I didn't drive any extra either it was on my way to pick up Dd.

Made a huge batch of buttermilk pancakes to fill in my Athletes as I sent them off to race at the regatta today, there is enough left for tomorrow too.
I then went to pick up youngest Dd from scout camp to take her to the Applefest fair, where she performed on her fiddle with 3 friends. I packed a lunch for her because she would be missing lunch time at the camp.

They performed very well and the newspaper photographer took many pictures of them so they will probably be in the paper. I had fun too.....they had about 30 different heritage apple varieties and we were able to sample them... I really enjoyed that (so did the kids). Afterwards Dd stayed and had fun trying to wash the laundry using a washboard, did some crafts, drank cider etc ...until I finally dragged her away and back to camp (because she didn't want to miss anything there either!).

I had to use the dryer today........first time in quite a while... but I still have the heater off..I don't know how much longer I can get away with that though.

Friend at the club gave us a big bag of clothes for both Dd's, really nice stuff too....and there was even some nice tops for me!

Dinner was Lazy Mans Perogies.... a great high carbo casserole perfect for athletes. A big casserole is well under $5, I estimate the cost at $3.75. And there are leftovers for tomorrows lunch.

I am soaking beans for tomorrows tortillas and I still need to slice more apples to dehydrate. These are all from our own trees!:applause:

#21 ·
I can understand about the sports. For us, it is college, we do without to send the kiddos to school. We spend alot every month paying car insurance, internets, home phones, cell phones, allowances, tuitions, car payments(this has changed recently) gas for cars, work uniforms etc..about $800 a month for 2 dds every month BUT

They both got scholarships/grants and one lives on her allowance the other chose a new car so no allowance but she works and they both go to school full time and we are all getting by.

No way would I say to them, sorry guys no college for you!

It isn't forever so we just gotta hang on. They grow up so fast.

I tell dh we get through 10 years of heck and then it can be alllll about us!

Congrats on the dd and ds. I know they make you proud.

#23 ·
You can do it Holly,
Just get in the mode you were in while your DH was in school.
You kicked butt then and you will again.
You've always been a great inspiration to me.

#24 ·
Thanks Holly!
And college is next for us, too.... Cricket....it is ALL for the kids right now and then it will eventually be our turn and I wouldn't have it any other way...

OK here's the recipe, I will give you two versions the original and how we changed it to fit our needs. This is a great CHEAP, NO MEAT, FILLING staple at our house.

Lazy Man's Pierogies

15 lasagna noodles, cooked
2 cups cottage cheese
1 egg
onion powder
2 cups mashed potatoe
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 large onion chopped small and sauteed in butter until transparent.

In a lasagna pan layer 5 noodles in a 9X13 pan. Mix cottage cheese, egg, onion powder and spread onto the noodles. Put down another layer of 5 noodles. Mix potatoe, cheddar and onion powder together and then spread over 2nd layer. Top with last noodle layer and spread that last layer with sauteed onions.
Cover pan with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Now the way we prepare it. I don't like to end with a layer of noodles because I find they dry out too much. So we just use two noodle layers and spread the onions directly onto the potatoe. We also like to increase the cottage cheese to 3 cups and the mashed potatoes to 3 cups. This feeds the 5 of us (3 are big apetites) with enough leftover for Dh to take to lunch the next day.

You can also add bacon bits, a layer of sourkraut or anything you associate with perogies....very flexible and easy. Enjoy.

#25 ·
Ds came 2nd in his 4 km race today! He was very happy. We also were able to buy a new racing paddle for him (his was too small) and immediately sell his childs racing paddle. So we only had to pay an extra $50 for his man sized paddle.... I am very happy about that.

Other than that it was a no spend day (the paddle exchange was planned for a while).

Dd woke up with a cold but spent the day in bed and is feeling better already. I hope she manages a quick recovery because she is booked in to do Volume of Oxygen testing and lactic acid testing at the university on tuesday, and she CANNOT have a cold! This testing is no cost (provided by the provincial high performance athletic association) and she is being driven all the way by coaches.

Cooked a big pot of dried beans and made refried beans, tortillas and cheddar cornbread. I also made homemade salsa from the last tomatoes in my garden......the rest were hit by blight....

Sliced apples and filled my dehydrator with another batch... I need to send the kids out to scavenge somemore.....

Youngest Dd came home from scout camp...she had a great time and learned so much and enjoyed all the activities (including rope climbing and archery....how ladylike LOL).

#26 ·
Holly how do you dehydrate your apples?
Do you put anything on them to keep from getting brown?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.