Frugal Village Forums banner

Stockpile Challenge

53K views 715 replies 88 participants last post by  alaska_tiger_36 
#1 ·
Okay, I want to put away a years worth of stockpile.:hero: This is my accountability thread.:chef2:

Wish me luck and here I go.

I am starting in November but I had a little extra cash so I mini started today.

My monthly goals are:

$150 in food stockpile
$30 in pet items
$10 in laundry/cleaners
$10 HBA's

Some of these categories I have already started and am just about finished with.

Tomorrow I will add up my estimated costs.

so without futher ado....

10/16/2008

I added 3 bags of dog food--3 down 57 more to go.
estimated cost $10 for holistic dry food x 60= $600.
We need 5 bags a month for 3 dogs, lab, bigger terrier, rat terrier.

More tomorrow

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Make sure you find dry storage for your dog food, I found out the hard way that it can spoil and get buggy. I now store it in the bags, inside lidded trash cans.

Wanted to add, you've got a great plan! You go girl!

#6 ·
Okay laundry...

Right now I have 7 unopened boxes of arm and hammer washing soap. I use 1/2 cup per 2 gallons so a box should last at the minimum 6 months! I am still using my first box and I make soap for Mom and my college dd!

I will add 5 more boxes for a nice round number but I can only get it at Krogers so when I am out that way I always pick up a few. They also have the fel naphta soap.

okay Borax--I only have 2 boxes at this time so I will add 4 more because they are larger and I only use 1/2 cup per 2 gallons. I do use borax around the house so this number may change.

Fels naptha soap--don't laugh it was marked down from $1.15 a bar to .75 and discontinued(I have since found it at krogers lol for $1.15)

How many does she have......48 bars. I think I am okay seeing as one bar makes 6 gallons.....:box:

liquid starch--I am completely out! I need 2 per month so I need 24 bottles.

I have laundry cental misson control lol over my washer and dryer cabinets with shelves so I can store all laundry here and not with food in stockpile in sewing room.

Vinegar--I need 12 gallons. Right now I have 1/4 of a gallon. I use it for everything cleaning, windows,fighting bacteria, but not for cooking. For cooking I use Mrs Braggs organic with the mother currently on sale for $2.99.....I want 4. I have one but it is opened. It is full but opened. I used it to kill a fever blister.

So I need borax 4,arm and hammer washing soap 5, vinegar12, mrs braggs vinegar 4, starch 24 and NO FELS NAPTHA!

lol!

#247 ·
Okay laundry...

Vinegar--I need 12 gallons. Right now I have 1/4 of a gallon. I use it for everything cleaning, windows,fighting bacteria, but not for cooking. For cooking I use Mrs Braggs organic with the mother currently on sale for $2.99.....I want 4. I have one but it is opened. It is full but opened. I used it to kill a fever blister.
Mrs Braggs organic WITH the mother? Never heard of it. I'll have to see if I can find it. Thanks!

Judi

#7 ·
I'm working at the same thing! Today I added 48 pounds of sugar, and am aiming for 80-100 ibs---probably a 2-3 year supply. But hey, with the sale and store coupon it's .48 a bag! Today I also got 2 powdered sugars, 8 brown sugars, 7 bags baking chips, more trash bags, etc. I already have about 27 bottles of laundry soap, so I'm set.

#8 ·
Cricketlegs, this is a great idea!
I was thinking about starting something similar for next year, so I'll be watching & following along with yours to see how it goes.

Just an FYI on the Fels Naptha soap.
I've read online that it's also good to bath in, if you ever get into poisen ivy/oak.
There are numerous other uses for it, and for .75 cents a bar?
I'd be buying as many as possible too!;)

I found a really great buy on laundry soap at our local Discounted grocer back in February, so at this point, we probably have enough to last us for at least another 2 years.
But for your recipe on your laundry soap, it is the clumpy, goopy type? Or is yours easier to scoop out and use? If so, I would love your recipe, to use later on.
Also along the lines of laundry.
I use a 1/2 lidfull of baking soda in my wash and it really helps to cut down on any smells: teenage boy sweaty smells, it also helps to freshen up my kitchen towels when they start getting that stinky smell to them, and I've also noticed an increase in how white my whites look.
I just started doing this a couple weeks ago and thought it might something that could be beneficial to someone else?

Oh & on the dog food. I'm not sure of your freezer space, but dog food can be frozen for extended periods of time, it keeps it fresher.
But it sounds like your in a similar situation as myself, we actually purchase *large* 40 lb. bags of dog food, and we normally go through 1 1/2 of these per month.
So freezing the larger bags might not be an option, but for those who use the smaller bags, and the freezer space, it might be a storage option?
But the garbage can idea is great too!

Thanks for sharing your plan! I'll be looking for your next installment!

#10 ·
Ahem...yes I bought all the Fels naphta soap and I did give my Mom a bar(I make her soap and as one person it lasts her FOREVER lol) I did give Mom a bar and told her about the poison ivy/oak benefits and also that she could use it as a laundry stain precleaner.

When are you planning on starting your stockpile?

As for my laundry recipe is it what they call the EGG DROP soup consistancy. Sometimes I add just a tad of water to my soap soup when it is in my front loader dispenser to make it go through a little better.

I have been just slicing mine with a sharp knif but I saved my old processor so I may grind it up and see if that helps but I am 100% happy with it as is.

If you still want my recipe let me know and I will post it for you.

I have a little misc. cash so I am stopping at the sore to pick up a few things..I have a losse plan...I will post what I get.

Oh and as a side note I had coupons for pads and tampons so I added

1. pad
2. one panti-liner
3. 2 boxes of tampons

I saved $2.75.

I will post a HBA update but on the "woman" situation I am lokking pretty good.

#11 ·
I just started doing this also since we have a house now w/a big pantry and a full size basement..this is what I have for a years supply of now..

Hundreds of different size batteries *expires after 2012*
4- 150oz bottles of Tide *only use 2Tb each load*
80 plus bottles of Pert Plus 2 in 1 shampoo & conditioner
20 plus bottles of Dawn dish soap *I make my own Dawn Direct Foam*
40 cans of canned Corn *have rain check for up to 100*
40 cans of canned Spinach *have raincheck for up to a 100*
10 cans of canned Green Beans *have raincheck for up to a 100*
40 plus boxes of different size pastas
Cold medicine of all different types *free after rebate..thank you Riteaid*

I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of that is fresh in my memory..
Since having storage space is all new to me I need to figure out a way to keep everything organized and accounted for..We will not be living in the house for several weeks until all the remodeling is finished so I can't go overboard till I have a designated spot for my storage area in the basement...I will however buy a couple of cans with tight fitting lids to put 50lbs of sugar in.I also want to buy 50lbs or more of Flour.. there is a refridgerator at the house that we keep plugged in and the freezer is empty so I figured I could fit a big sack of flour in there..that's perfect from keeping the fridge from running when there's nothing in the freezer part as well as I could stockpile my flour that way..I don't have the room in my fridge/freezer or storage here at the trailer..

Does anyone have any suggestions for what kind of containers you store your flour/sugar/brown sugar that you bought in bulk? I want to be able to not have to leave my home in the winter (other than work of coarse) and have enough of all my baking supply's on hand to do so..TIA...

BTW Cricketlegs what a great post I'm look forward to reading your updates!

#20 · (Edited)
Brenda,

I use 5 gallon food grade buckets for flour , sugar etc. You can get them at bakeries sometimes, or buy them just make sure they are food grade.

I stock like Hippygal...lol as you know .

I just donated to the food pantry as I have way too many toothpaste , shampoo and still have a couple years. Plus I sell homemade soaps , and all those as well so I have tons of my own. They give me a key now...lol was able to donate tons of cereals and pastas as well as hit that awesome sale before.

Reactions: brenda67
#12 ·
I love the idea of making this a challenge! It's certainly a challenge for me; no coupons, only one grocery store, not great sales...but I'm trying. I read this thread yesterday and decided to clean out my pantry and organize, so I know what I'm starting out with!

Thanks for the idea!

#13 ·
great idea for a thread!

I'm working on mine right now too.

HBA is fine-I probably have at least a year there.
I need to up the cat food and some clothes soap though.

As far as food goes, I'm taking advantage of all the canned soup on sale right now. Fall is my big stock up time because of the holiday sales.

#14 ·
This is something that we have talked about doing here. I have been working on decluttering a couple of cabinets so that we have a place to start storing items. It can be overwelming to start though. So I have decided to just set aside $15 a week out of my regular grocery budget to put toward stockpiling. We are going this evening to look at a small freezer and freestanding pantry..both items we had talked about purchasing before the stockpiling talk started. I look forward to watching this thread to get ideas!:cowwave:

Reactions: scrap_candles
#15 ·
Okay ya'll, I went to the store. I looked liked warmed over doggy drool. No one got in my way lol!

I spent $115.

Everything I got needs no refridgeration and is the beginning of my stockpile. None will go in the pantry.

I have to leave in a minute to go get my dd from a school event(she is on yearbook staff) so I will post what I got.

I didn't stock up on a bunch of any one item and what I was really wanting to accomplish was getting my stockpile binder with sizes, prices, and brands up to date so I can make good decisions on how many I really need.

If I am buying huge catshups and we only use one regular size a month then I don't need to waste on 12. I would probably do 8. And now I know that the Food club brand which I have used before is $1 cheaper for the same size than national brand. so I will save $8 there just knwoing my brand and saving another $12 by not buying 12 so a savings of $20 in catshup.

So just catshup wise I had a very productive day.

Another incentive I have is I get %5 off groceries if I get $35 of gas and I get %5 off any Food Club brand item after I buy 5.

Today I save $4.70 just by choosing Fodd Club brand--which are cheaper and good anyway so no telling how much I really saved over national brands.

So, when dd gets here she will hog the computer but I will come back and post my amounts of items etc.

A question-- stockpilers do you tend to just buy whatever or do you load up on one item and move on? I worry about a, the bottom falling out at home and running out of time, b, expiration dates of buying all at the same time, c,running out of space and not having a well rounded stockpile.

Another--would you sacrifice a somewhat better price(say 10 cents a pound etc) to save room in your stockpile. Would you buy more smaller or more larger to get the most of your space?

#16 ·
When stockpiling I stock up on sale items that I will need/use before it expires and it has to be a brand that I know my family likes! btdt changing brands and it was a big waste of money...My main thing is to stock the foods/items that my family eats weekly now.. (but I'm aiming for several months worth of food like you.. but not until I figure out what works best for me and coming up with some kind of plan/system))our main meal consists of meat,starch and veggie.. I'm set for veggies and (I've been using my foodsaver a whole lot for the past week) stocking up on boneless pork roast and boneless pork chops that's on sale for $1.49 lb.. also stocked up on sale hamburger and made lot's of meatballs flashed freeze them..waiting until the next big sale..I'm not sure if I helped you out at all or not? but that's my plan for now..

#21 ·
Okay, first off, for you question on *when* I'm planning on starting my stockpile.
I suppose I've already kinda started it for next year.

A couple things that I have a years worth of things on hand:
Liquid laundry detergent, as I already mentioned.
Pickle relish.
Peanut butter.
Somewhere around a 4 months supply of pasta, I would like to up this to definately the years worth. We eat pasta at least once a week.
I have probably a 1.5 months supply of frozen milk.

Some things that I want to work on first:
Staples such as rice, sugar (both brown & white), oatmeal, cocoa, tea bags, flour, and butter (this freezes really good).
More frozen milk.
Dog food, kitty litter, chew bones, and their monthly heartguard.

As for how I add to my stockpile, I think I probably do a combination of what you already mentioned, Cricketlegs.

I buy when I find a really excellent deal and for some items, I will go ahead and buy X number of an item that I might be needing at that moment.
Like pasta sauce.
Kroger's brand is always $1.14 a jar.
Right now I have 5 jars, because I needed some last time I went shopping and I went ahead and picked up 4 more.

This is something that I haven't noticed going on sale, but I feel that the regular price is good enough for me to pick it up at anytime.
*If* or *when* it should go on sale, I would definately pick up enough to finish off my years worth, which by my estimations, should be around 7 more jars, but I might just err on the side of caution and make it an even 14 instead of 12.
Sometimes we use it for other things as well.

I don't always shop exclusively with coupons, so I watch the loss leaders, as well as trying to check the weekly ads & then if it's something that I know we use, I will try to do multiples with coupons (if I can find enough coupons).

Hopefully I helped a little bit & didn't ramble too much!:whistle:

#22 ·
I think I'm gonna use your idea Cricklegs and as I continue to add over the next several months, I'm also going to try and critique my lists some.
That way I'll have a better idea of what exactly I need to add & of how much.

I think this thread came at a good time for alot of us, because some of us are just starting our stockpile, while others have a small one started but this will give us a chance to really be more diligent in adding to it.
Especially with the beginning of the new year just right around the corner.

So for the next couple of months I want to:
Add at least one shelving unit downstairs.
Buy at least 4 buckets with lids to store items in.
Get a more accurant count of what I need, make a stockpile list to carry with me each time I go shopping, just in case I find a good deal on any item on my list.
Go through the freezer & use up anything that we need too, in order to make more room for our new stockpiled items. This will also be a good time to defrost it.
Try to look at my grocery budget a little closer & see how much more that I can put aside soley to use for stockpiling.

#23 ·
Great idea.
I have about 2 yrs. of H&B and laundry. Prob. over a year of rice and dried beans. Tons of pasta.
I cleaned out the freezers this summer and inventoried everything in them. (we have 2) Typed it up on comp. and it's attached to frig. I mark off what I use and pencil in new for next typing. I always know what I have and where it's at.
I put flour, rice and pasta in freezer for at leaast 2 weeks. It kills any insect eggs. Ugh!!!! Then I double wrap in old grocery (plastic) bags for storage.
I home can - so I have at least a years worth of spaghetti sauce, salsa, pickles, relish, jellies of all sorts, tomatoes, frozen zucchini, apples and more.
I told DH - if the bottom falls out of things tomorrow - at least we can eat - it may not be real varied, but we have food.

I love the idea of stockpiling for at least a year. Think of the money you can save. We all know that everything will be more expensive next year - and the year after.......... Everything you stock today - is like money in your savings accout.
GOOD LUCK

#24 · (Edited)
Well, I went to walmart and bought 2 really tall, 5 shelf, wide sturdy interlocking shelves. They came to around $68 for the both. They are very very nice Plano brand so if you need shelves you should check them out. 5 minute not tool assembly.

I put all my food on them I bought as well as any major mulitples of flour, sugar, etc remembering to put earlier expiration dates to the front and older to the back.

I also stacked my 7 sacks of dog food to take up less room.

I have space for 5 more sheles if I need them.

Now the LIST tadadadaaaaa!

Today I added to my stockpile

3 bags holistic dog food--17lbs each I think
1 gallon veggie oil
1 bag all purpose flour
1 bag self rising flour
(I had 5 bags flour so I added 3 to stock, one to canister, one left in pantry)
1 gallon white vinegar
1 large decaf coffee for when my Keurig k cups run out each month(will explain later)
1 lg box instant rice
1 huge cylinder old fashioned oatmeal
1 huge bag honey cheerio type cereal
3 cake mixes
1 gallon jar dill pickles
1 large spaghetti
1 bag hersheys semi sweet choc chips
1 bag straws--I like straws okay!!
1 lg egg noodle
1 lg elbow macaroni
2 cans evaporated milk
5 wolf brand hot dog chili(I make my own reg chili but in a hot dog hurry meal I buy these)
1 bag sugar(added one bag plus a double bag from pantry, left one in canister on counter and one in storage container in pantry)
6 cans tuna--6 oz!!! the store brand is still 6 oz!!
1 catshup(added one huge honking catshup dds grandmother sent us from Sams from the pantry and have one in fridge lol)
4 cans soup-try to avoid because of MSG....
3 bottles salad dressing in 3 flavors
1 large jar mustard
1 large miracle whip
2 cans rotel tpye tomatoes but in full sized cans
2 cans white sliced potatoes(when in a pinch they work in a jiffy)
1 tub salt--ment to grab sea salt but goofed..oh well can use it to unstop drains
1 bacon bits
3 bbq sauces
1 pack family tea bags
2 cans lg peaches
beans--lima, navy, great northern,blackeyed, pintos in 2 and 4 lbs and some more than one bag

Saved 4.70 buying Food Club items.

About the coffee. I have an nice expensivee and 100% wonderful Keurig coffee system that uses k-cups

you get 18 cups for $10. Now I manage to get double but only 18 cups at a time meaning I have a rediculous disney cup that holds a ton of coffee.

I run the largest size cup it makes -mug size-and then I leave the k cup in and run it through again and I have the mother of all coffee. Takes me hours to drink it lol.

Once or twice a week I have coffee at my moms so I get 18 plus 4=22 cups of coffee for $10. Then when I run out of cups for the month I use my keurig filter and put regular coffee in it the rest of the month. I can't just run out and buy coffee k cups like a mad woman. It is just a little way fot frugalise a GREAT cup of coffeeeee! Ahhh!

So I spent $115 in a month I wasn't even starting my stockpile in yet lol!

I had extra and didn't want it to get fiddle farted away.

The shelves were spendy but needed and will alway have a purpose in my home so no troubles there.

#25 ·
Oh and as a side note, while at the store I worked on my price book and came home and then cleaned it all up to take with me whenever I am on the town and need price comparisons.

I started making a list of how many of each item and rounding the cost to the nearest dollar how much a years worth will cost me. I will then put it in a graph to mark off how many I have/ need for at a glance ability.

#29 · (Edited)
Playing with the idea of going to get another 2 shelves.....I am going to need them eventually and it would be nice to get everything in its permanant spot now before my pile gets bigger and I have to buy shelving and move it all.

I am trying to group it in a way that flows--grains with grains with beans
baking supplies
chocolate UP UP UP and away from doggies
heavy items like gallons of vinegar, oils, and pickles to the bottom and canned goods second shelf from bottom.

Nothing in a package that dogs might be able to get into.

I may hem some fabric and add velcro to the fabric and shelf across the top to cover the food..maybe.

Oh and I added brown sugar last night.

I am going over my pantry today to reorganize it to get it ready for my monthly shopping in November and I may move food if I deem it a good idea. I want to use my pantry stuff...dates you know.

I really need to go through the deep freeze.

When we lost power to IKE I threw all my fridge stuff in there and it stayed icy cold but when I took it out I left the freezer stuff from the fridge in there and I have no idea what is in ther really.

I need to use this stuff up. I may not be buying any meat this November and working with clearing this baby out--it needs a defrost anyway and a good scrubbing!

#30 ·
I just buy whatever is on sale that we like, whether we need it or not....I was so tired of running out of things and then having to pay full price for them. So whenever laundry soap, toilet paper, etc is on sale, I grab one. I have enough laundry stuff to last about a year, and enough toilet paper for about 6 months.

Due to what is already in my freezer/pantry, I only really need to spend $25-$50 a week on groceries, but end up spending a minimum of $100 because of things that are on sale that we will use. Makes me feel more secure, as I'm a single mom with rarely any child support coming in. I know I can feed us comfortably for at least 2 or 3 months if necessary without shopping much.

#31 ·
I've been wanting to work on this too. I have enough stockpiled now for 3 or 4 months but I'd really love to be stockpiled for longer. My problem is bugs and mice. We live in the country and NOTHING we do seems to get rid of the mice in winter. I have to be careful how and where I store items.

I stockpile by buying only what I know we will eat. I don't buy things in larger sizes then I know we will use. We don't like canned veggies warmed over. So I buy just the regular sized cans, never anything bigger except for kidney beans. I use a big can plus one small can to make a batch of chili so they do get used. I rarely find a coupon for something we use. I do use them if I find one, but it's never worth the price of a Sunday paper for me. I use mostly store brands and buy on sale. When I find something on sale that we use, I buy as much as I can afford at the time. I'm lucky in that I have been stockpiling for a while so I have a good supply on hand already.

This is a great thread for all of us to use to work on our stockpiles! Good luck to everyone!

#32 ·
WV_mom_of2 ,

We have a mouse problem but the outside dogs catch them outside-yuck and the cats catch them if they make it inside so that helps.

I also had the exterminator put out bait in places the pets can't get and make sure I pick up any dead mice.

My animals don't eat, bite, or chew them. It worried me that they might eat a poisoned mouse so we are okay there

I too don't buy gallons cans of anything except tomatoes which I then can and process into hot sauce/salsa, and I am about to make tomato sauce. I make quarts.

As for coupons, sometimes I get lucky with pads, HBAs, and pet items or cleaners(although I tend to make my own as well as my own laundry soap) so I understand what you mean.

Once you cut out the prepackaged foods and are left with staples the coupon trail dries up.

I too buy alot of store brands and Food Club gives me 5% off every item I buy if I buy 5 or more. I saved $4.70 off of $115. Every bit helps right!?

#33 ·
I may go to the walmart across town for my shelves since mine is out of them at this time.

I need to balance my account and look at money first.

I am itching to get all my shelves up and my room organized.

Anyone add any stockpiling..I added 2 gallon cans of tomatoes to make hot sauce.

#41 · (Edited)
Do you happen to have a link to the particular shelves you bought?
Are they plastic? I found a really nice commercial type one at Sam's, for $94.00and it's HUGE, so I'm thinking of letting that be part of my stockpile "budget" for next month.

I went shopping at Kroger this past weekend and stocked up on canned tomatoes, along with about 16 bags of frozen veggies, although I was completely out of those, so about 6 of those bags will be used.

I'm planning a trip to Sam's sometime in the next couple of weeks and I plan on adding to my mine then. I can't beat their prices on kitty litter, HUGE bags of baking soda, rice & sugar. So I'm hoping to get some of those items to add then.

On another note, Cricketlegs. How did you go about generating your stockpiling list?
I know everyone does them differently and right now I'm in the planning phases of my list.
I'm trying hard to only list items that we use regularly on a daily/weekly basis first and then I'll add other items that we use sparingly:
olives, pickles, condiments, etc. later on.

I would love to "pick your brain" about what system you used, when you were planning your list.

TIA!

#34 ·
I just sat and read through this thread, I love it, thanks cricket legs for starting this. I have only started really stockpileing about maybe a month or 2. I have started to step it up a notch. I always had some extra on hand of soap, tooth paste etc, but now I really want to get a little more organized and more stuff on hand. Last year in December DH hurt his back and was off work for a while. Things were hard for us then, so now I want to be more prepared.

Anyway, I cleaned out my cuppards and started to add things to the top shelf as stockpiled items. These are things that we are not using, I have the other two shelves full too, but these are just our groceries and what not that we use day to day. In my bedroom I have a shelf that I have a lot of hba things stockpiled, that seems to be what I can get on sale and with coupons for very little. I got enough soap to last AT least 18 months. I think I will take some pictures and try to get them up. Also yesterday I canned some stuff, first time I ever did this. I did 6 bottles of beets, 2 bottles of apple, and 1 bottle of crab apple. Besides that I have a bottle of beet that my mom gave me and a bottle of bakeapples, they are in my stockpile. In my basement I have an old change table that I decided to use to put things on, I have some dishwasher stuff, some dish liquid and some laundry detergent. I also have two packages of pull ups for ds and 1 pack of diapers for the baby.

#35 ·
Great Job...

Congrats on your decision to stockpile. I suppose I've been doing so for a long time - always a worrier I guess. I'm always the lady in the grocery store checking for the latest expiration cans, bottles etc.. LOL

I was able to add 15lbs of flour to my stash this weekend thanks to a great sale and I picked up some free halloween lightsticks (I'll put them in my electricity-free lighting bin) & candy corn...hey ya never know what you'll crave LOL.

I too worry about mice since our 4 kitties like to show mommy their newest "toy" yuck...so I freeze all the flour (to kill any pests or eggs) and then put them in a covered 5 gal bucket. I try to only keep canned/jarred food items in the basement and boxed goods in the kitchen cabinets.

One quick comment on setting up your shelving - really think it through in advance because I can assure you -- moving it is a huge effort LOL.

Personally I don't know how long we could sustain ourselves on what we have - we're very well covered in the hba departments as well as cleaning supplies but I'm always concerned if I we have enough food. It's only myself and my dh & I also keep my mom's home stocked up as well. (I keep her stuff at her house LOL). Every week I add something to the stockpile...

A while back I had posted pics of my stockpile under the Inspiration page if you'd like to get an idea of my general storage. Good luck on setting up your place.... I look forward to following it and borrowing ideas and am happy to add my 2 cents to help answer any questions if I can :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.