Frugal Village Forums banner

Time to buckle down...

Tags
buckle time
958 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MomK 
#1 ·
After lurking here last night for an hour, reading everyone's challenges, I'm starting one of my own. My goal is to make myself accountable by posting my frugal activities here each week. Today is Monday, so it's a great way to start my week!

Today I have (or will):

~pork chops in CrockPot
~taking lunch
~drinking water
~taking dks to see their Great-grandmother
~taking DS to get glasses repaired, rather than buying a new pair

I'll think of more later...time to go to work!

#2 ·
I didn't quite finish the other post!

I have several reasons for doing this frugal challenge. First, DS and I are going to NYC in June with a class trip. I have taken DD on several trips including: Italy, Washington, D.C. London, Paris, Brussels. DS is a homebody, and doesn't want to go as much, but he is very excited about this trip.

Second, DD wants to travel to Haiti with a mission group from our church. This will cost $2000. She will raise a lot of the money herself-that's part of the experience-but I want to help as much as I can. So, my goal for that trip is: $1500.

Now, this may not seem frugal to some, but in my opinion, frugality is about setting priorities, making a plan and sticking to it. I value experiences, such as travel, over things, so I'm making it a personal priority to give my kids experiences they'll always remember.

I can do this because I save in other areas: clothing, housing, cars. To me, it is worth it.

#4 ·
Good luck! I agree with you on experience beating out frugality!

I am taking my boys to Seattle (from IL) to visit family next month. It wasn't the most frugal thing to do with some of our savings money...but what are we saving for, if we can't enjoy a little bit of our money once in a while! My boys have never flown or been on a "big" vacation like this, so it is a HUGE treat for all of us! I figure, there's no point in having 10's of thousands of dollars put into the bank, if you never plan to use any of it, right??? Having enough for emergencies and comfort is good...but the rest of our savings is being saved for particular things and this was one of them!

I hope you guys enjoy your trips! If nothing else, it'll be educational!

My frugal goals for today are to do nothing!

I find that if I do nothing, I'm not spending anything! ;) So, I'll be home picking up the house and doing laundry and walking the kids back and forth to school!

#5 ·
I agree that the experiences are deffinately worth it. Looking forward to reading this thread.

#7 ·
Thanks to everyone for the support. Sometimes I read the posts here and I think that I can always do better with my budget! I'm seriously into saving money, but when you have a teenager wanting to go to Haiti for missions, how can you say no??? I'm very proud of her.

I sometimes feel like a failure when I read the wonderful savings everyone is working toward! I love this site for boosting me up, and keeping me accountable!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.