Surviving the layoff thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Surviving the layoff thread

Well it happened. Dh (the main earner) is unemployed as of next Friday.
    Here is my post on it if your curious about all the details
    Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Grrrrr! Dh survived the last layoff and was assured 100 times over by the boss his job was 100% secure! Earlier this week an office worker let leak to dh that the boss was lying. Well she was correct. Dh got the call yesterday that their last day is next Fri.
    Dh has lots to think about! The company has a big new contract in March. Dh can go back to work in March. The company is offering staying on to the top 5 drivers (dh is number 1 on the list) but it will be totally on call 5 days a week and you will have to leave for any state in the USA on a few hours notice. Absolutely no guaranteed work at all.Well that is a tad scary with not even a guarantee you will work 1 day a week.

Max unemployment in our state is $350 I believe. Our cobra payment would take all that monthly to keep our ins. We are very worried about any lapse in ins as I'm diabetic and any lapse could be very expensive plus it sets up pre existing clause for when we are insured again.

The orthodontist has only gotten half of the 1000 ins will pay for ds's braces so guess who will owe the rest.........................US!!!!!!!! The ortho office said their hands are tied and because of the way they must bill they can't get it any faster.

Dh does earn at least 80% of our income. I do have 3 month in EF so we could bare bones with unemployment squeek by if it wasn't for that stupid cobra amount.

Dh says he wants to go back in march but has no plans to sit on unemployment until March. The bummer is his current company pays much much better than all the other local companies by a long shot. It also might be hard to find another to hire him when he tells them he will only be working until March.

The biggest worry is health ins. Sigh!!!!!!! I am so so grateful we saved our EF. It will be rough and we will be cutting to the bone but at least I know we can pay the mortgage etc. I know this is why the ef is there but I sure hate to see it all go bye bye.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Dh is just devistated that this is before the holidays.

I'm just going to share and hopefully get ideas from others as this goes along.

I keep telling myself. We have been through worse!~ It might not be fun but we will make it and thank heavens for some EF.

The biggest issue is affording the ins!!!! I can live without other frills.

My first step was to stop the $60 auto deposit into the EF. Can't do that without a pay check coming in (sigh)
    Last edited by nodmicks; 10-25-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aww, I am so sorry to hear this! My heart is breaking for all the families like yours and AnnK's. It could really happen to any one of us. It is so good that you have your EF in place. We will lose my dh's base salary in January, and as of now there is no way we can live on the commission he is making. So, it looks like he will be starting his own business next year. You will be in my thoughts and prayers that just the right new job comes along quickly! Please keep us updated and hang in there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow what a way to go into the Holiday season (or anytime of year for that matter!) I am so sorry please know you will be in my thoughts, I have to say your determination is amazing I would be in a much worse spot than you are so kudos for preparation. Here's hoping something even better comes along -- you never know!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nodmicks, can your DH go to a temp agency? Or maybe post some ads at hardware/DIY type places that he is available for hauling? (Don't know if he has a truck he can use.) I also see ads on CL for people offering their services. Maybe he can post there? Or check there for short-term jobs? I've posted there (and seen lots of others) for one-time-only jobs. I found a great guy who helped put up my fence through CL. He had no experience at it, but responded to my ad, and was a hard worker. He earned $40/hour in cash for a week from me, so there must be others who need some help on projects.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry to hear this.

Good Luck you can make it through.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfriend View Post
    Aww, I am so sorry to hear this! My heart is breaking for all the families like yours and AnnK's. It could really happen to any one of us. It is so good that you have your EF in place. We will lose my dh's base salary in January, and as of now there is no way we can live on the commission he is making. So, it looks like he will be starting his own business next year. You will be in my thoughts and prayers that just the right new job comes along quickly! Please keep us updated and hang in there!
    Thank you! So what type of business is yoyr dh going to start? That sounds exciting. That is too bad about the straight commision but maybe the business will be just the thing!

Quote Originally Posted by frugalbabe View Post
    Wow what a way to go into the Holiday season (or anytime of year for that matter!) I am so sorry please know you will be in my thoughts, I have to say your determination is amazing I would be in a much worse spot than you are so kudos for preparation. Here's hoping something even better comes along -- you never know!
    Thank you so much for the good thoughts. I am very grateful we were kind of prepared!

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    Nodmicks, can your DH go to a temp agency? Or maybe post some ads at hardware/DIY type places that he is available for hauling? (Don't know if he has a truck he can use.) I also see ads on CL for people offering their services. Maybe he can post there? Or check there for short-term jobs? I've posted there (and seen lots of others) for one-time-only jobs. I found a great guy who helped put up my fence through CL. He had no experience at it, but responded to my ad, and was a hard worker. He earned $40/hour in cash for a week from me, so there must be others who need some help on projects.
    Mad hen I have never heard of CL. What is that? He is going to look into the temp agency that handles drivers Mon. Sadly temp drivers make about $10 an hour hear so about half his wage and not much more than the a weeks unemployment in our state but he would go nuts sitting around. He was saying he would feel very guilty not letting a prospective employer know he would be going back in March. He doesnt own a semi. Who knows what might pop up though! Thanks for the ideas!

Thank you Imagine!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nodmicks, Craigslist is a free on-line "classified" site. Search for "craigslist" and you'll get the main site, then look for your city and click on that to get to your local craigslist. From there, it is just like a newspaper classified, but in real time. There is a place to post jobs wanted and a place to post employment opportunities.

I use it a lot to sell garage-sale type items, as it is free to post and a LOT of people use it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    Nodmicks, Craigslist is a free on-line "classified" site. Search for "craigslist" and you'll get the main site, then look for your city and click on that to get to your local craigslist. From there, it is just like a newspaper classified, but in real time. There is a place to post jobs wanted and a place to post employment opportunities.

I use it a lot to sell garage-sale type items, as it is free to post and a LOT of people use it.
    Ah ha! CL = craigs list!~ Now I get it. thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Thank you! So what type of business is yoyr dh going to start? That sounds exciting. That is too bad about the straight commision but maybe the business will be just the thing!
    Well, he is talking about going back to doing what he did for 15 years prior to our move, which was running a direct mail advertising business. He says that is what he knows and does best. We have to start at square one again. But, he has gotten to know the area and people while working for someone else in the business, so that is a plus. I may be helping him a bit too, as next year our youngest will be in school all day. Having your own business definitely has its pros and cons, ups and downs! Maybe it will be for the best, I'm hoping and praying! Thanks for asking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfriend View Post
    Well, he is talking about going back to doing what he did for 15 years prior to our move, which was running a direct mail advertising business. He says that is what he knows and does best. We have to start at square one again. But, he has gotten to know the area and people while working for someone else in the business, so that is a plus. I may be helping him a bit too, as next year our youngest will be in school all day. Having your own business definitely has its pros and cons, ups and downs! Maybe it will be for the best, I'm hoping and praying! Thanks for asking.
    That sounds exciting! Best of luck!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am sorry that you have been affected by this, I hope that it all works out for the better in the long run. HUGS

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm also sorry to hear this..I'm glad you have a ef in place as many don't know the meaning of saving money..Can you apply for Medicaid? I would head straight to Social Services to see if you qualify for any assistance..
    I hope everything turns out better for your family real soon..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    I'm also sorry to hear this..I'm glad you have a ef in place as many don't know the meaning of saving money..Can you apply for Medicaid? I would head straight to Social Services to see if you qualify for any assistance..
    I hope everything turns out better for your family real soon..

I can check but I'm pretty sure we won't because of the assest limit. I did check on badger care plus (which is for kiddos in wi no matter what the income limit) however it looks like we are disqualified because we have access to ins through cobra. I'll find out more monday

I am very grateful to have that EF!!!
    Last edited by nodmicks; 10-25-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Awwwhhh! Mick that is just awful! I am so glad you have that EF, that will buy you sometime. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

It makes me a bit nervous too.... Dh's company had two rounds of lay offs in two months and he has survived so far...but it is very scary since the number employees have been reduced by %50.

We went through a lay off and retraining 5 years ago.... and I keep thinking OH no Oh no.... and we don't having savings and we are still in debt from student loans because of Dh's retraining so we are in a worse financial position than before..... ugh... It scares the jeebies out of me when you said your Dh's boss had assured him his position was %100 secure! SCARY!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You need a hug. I'm sorry this is happening to anyone. I fear more of us may be in the club as time goes on.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast