Frugal Village Forums banner

November 2008 Grocery Challenge

4K views 69 replies 35 participants last post by  smk0817 
#1 ·
Alright here we go....

I haven't finished tallying and posting to the Oct. thread yet but I know I managed to stay under even including the out to eat stuff. I'm very excited by that. :king: I'm going to try again for the all inclusive $320 even though Thanksgiving falls this month. Normally I would have to raise the amount as I'd be responsible for a large portion of the whole family dinner thing but I think this year mom's taken my aunt up on her offer and I can just do desserts.

So $320 it is! Good Luck all!

#2 ·
I also managed to stay under my projected October amount! We ate out a few more times last month than usual but that's ok. :D

We're looking at $25/wk per person, so that's $100/wk for us. $400 for the month seems to be a good goal this time around. We're needing to buckle down with the holidays coming up next month and with the need to pay off some more debt. WE discovered alot of things in our last few times at the grocery store that we could substitute (like changing from tv dinners for convenience to something like grilled cheese and tomato soup for cooking from scratch feel), so I'm looking at tweaking the menu some more.

$400 seems like a good goal for us, and that's including some refilling of the stockpile (ketchup, hot dogs, sliced ham are on the list this time).

#3 · (Edited)
Count me in for $400 .. going to be tight as i need toiletries and meat and mroe in the stockpile .. murphy has been staying at our house for a few weeks (ongoing vet checkups) and any extra money we can save right now is peace of mind .. so it's going to be tight, but .. $400 it is :)

#5 ·
Ok I'm in put me at $450.00 I haven't tallied up the October grocery amount but it's about that much.

November Grocery Challenge~$450.00

#6 ·
Oh gosh here we go again!

I have (at this time) a family of 3 but dh is 6'6 and 265lbs so I think I shoud get to count him as 2! lol!

This pay period(#1 groceries) I have $100 smackaroonies in cash to spend. I will go today, Sunday or Monday. Not sure yet.

(I will have $50 for groceries the 15th--I think it is as well as $150 for stockpiles and $130 for pet food and $30 for HBA's)All this comes later in the month.

Will report back LOL!

#7 ·
I guess I'll go for $450 this month since there are 5 grocery shopping days for us in November. It will be a good opportunity for me to figure out just how much we're really spending. That will include all consumables and any eating out.

#8 ·
I'm planning to eat out of the pantry this month. I'm shooting for $100 for groceries only and $100 for stockpiling. And most definitely trying to come up less on both.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm in. I started a week early and have already spent more than $50 of the $125 allocated for 5 weeks, which includes the last week of October.
Some of that was bulk stuff, so I think I'll be ok.
I am including toilet paper etc out of neccessity, I can't spend any more.
At present my Visa is my main priority because it is over limit & accruing late fees.

#15 ·
I'm in again for $400. I'm participating in the $25/week per person challenge, and this is my total for a family of four, although I'm also going to include everything else in that budgeted amount (pet food/litter, hba, cleaners, etc). I was under in October, but this is the month I stock up on supplies for my homemade holiday gifts, so it will be a challenge for sure. Luckily I don't have to spend extra for Thanksgiving, except for maybe a couple sides, since mom is taking care of the rest. :)

#17 ·
I spent $94 of my $150 yesterday--I would say at least 1/4th of what I bought ended up in the stockpile. $50 was flat out meat. I got milk, cheese, half and half, butter and eggs.

The rast was canned goods and dry items that went into stockpile.

The misc $6 went into my $1000 in 1000 challenge.

Now I still have ~~

$50 grocery
$150 stockpile
$100 pet food
$30 pet stockpile
$30 HBA stockpile

left for the month budgeted in different pay periods.

#18 ·
I am for $500 since there are 5 Sundays.

Did our first run today:

1 pack gum (for kids :))
2 diet pepsi
1 gallon vinegar
10# potatoes
box of mandarins
2# frozen broccoli
1 bag popsicles
2 bags Nestle chocolate chips
Fruity cheerios
2 cake mix
2 box fruit snack (DS snack day@ school)
3 little buddies soaps
2 boxes popsicles
6 loaves bread
1 containe Quaker oats
2 smuckers simply fruit (stockpile)
2 worsteshire sauce (free)
2 laughing cow cheese
3 cheez-its (1 for DS's snack day)
contenelle wipes
tater tots
9 Hunts Spaghetti Sauce
Wheat flour
Swiss Cheese
salami
1.46# bananas
1.5# zucchini
3# apples
2 acorn squash

Total $108.72

November Total $108.72/$500

#20 ·
This is the first challenge I have joined. Makes it harder if it's in writing! I have already done my shopping for November. I am going to pull stuff from the pantry and freezer, since I have been filling them all summer long. I have spent $190.00 for the month, but will end up with about $25.00 more for a gallon of milk and a bag of dog food. So, I am in for $215.00 for the month. This is for me, DH, DS (9) 1 dog, 2 cats and 6 chickens. I figure if I run out of food, we'll survive on eggs!! Good luck to everyone!!

#22 ·
I missed joining in October, but I'll count myself in for $300 for November. That includes evertrhing, paper, hba, etc.

I did my 1st shop and will post my details later on tonight. (if i can stay awake that long. this darker earlier thing is making me sleepy YAWN :)

And nice start Brennasmom. Keep up the good work!

Looking forward to everyone's posts! I love seeing how we can 'Beat the System', but that's just the rebel in me that shows up once in awhile....LOL!

Theresa :)

#23 ·
I, too, missed last months. But this month I'll plan for $500 for the month, I might have to re-evaluate tho; DS is leaving the 9th for the navy! :eek:uch: But thats for 3.4 adults, 2 dogs, and all HBA.

#24 ·
I ended up almost 90 dollars over for October. I couldn't resist one more trip to stockpile before the end of last month. With that in mind I will make it with 350 this month. No excuses. I have a large stockpile and need to use it.

#26 ·
I am in for $320. I have yet to meet a goal, but each month I do this challenge, it makes me more aware of the money that I am spending. Maybe ONE of these days, I will meet my personal challenge.

We have a pretty good stockpile I think we will eat from this month. I am unsure what we are doing for Thanksgiving. Honestly, the way I feel today, they can all CHOKE on a PB&J sandwich!!!!

Good luck all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.