Frugal Village Forums banner

I am joining the on going $25.00 spending challenge..

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  macemesmum 
#1 ·
Hi there.
I thought I am frugal, but reading all your valuable messages, tips made me to think that there is always a room for improvement"
So I will join some of you on this mission of spending only $25.00 per week per person. I have tons of food and will try stay away from shopping. I cxl my car insurance for time being, so the money will go to my vacation fund. I am recovering at home after surgery and have time to organize and plan thing I never had time.
So far organized my recipes, I feel good about it. I started to panic about Christmas, but after getting my two boxes (it is like finding a tresure chest) with things I bought during the year to give away I feel great. I had an inventory of what I have in those boxes and prices. Well the total is $182.00 for the items and as per today I have $320 in my Christmas fund account. Made my list of people to give gifts, so I will need may $100.00 to buy a few more items. I am very relived and a happy.
Here some ideas for you if you are interested.
Kitchen baskets ,
Very pretty scarve knitted by me
wine, glasses and coasters,
Popcorn and a movie
Mugs and homemade cookies and a nice chocolate bar.
Glass big vase on a pedestal with shells inside.
Wrapping and presentation will be very appealing.
Since my daughter has a big house ( I have a condo) we will celebrate at her place like last year. we had Thanksgiving (Canadian)at my place. I have turkey in the freezer plus I will cook a few dishes at her place with my own ingridiens. They have a choice of what they want me to cook. I have a gread family!
This way no one is out of pocket, my daugher and I have fun cooking and chatting and my mom is supervising us and taking care of Brodie.
Looks like I am on the right track.
Here a few things might help you to cut on your spending. I am Canadian, but I am sure you have no fees bank in the states.
For almost nine years I don't pay any bank fees (I am with President's Choice). Imagine how much money I saved all these years. If my shopping under $20.00 I pay with their credit card (PC) if it is more I pay with Amex to get my airmiles.
I accumulate points and can spend these point to buy grocceries. Before surgery on those points I bought 3 turkeys, coffee, oil, and a few baking ingridients. For the grocerries I pay my M/Card right away on-line as soon I come home.
For my phone and cable I pay with my Amex I had already a free round ticket to California and still have enough mile for one more which I am planning to use next September to take a Pacific cruise all way to San Diego, stay at Ramada hotel using my Tripreward points free 3 nights then fly back.
I don't use cash to pay for my shopping, but always have available. I use my 2 cards to get those points, but pay as soon the bill arrives. If I need to make a big purchace I save in advance let say I need $600.00 I save, when I have enough I still charge my cards and pay right away.
On Sundays I make my menu for the next week base on ingridients I already have on hand and items from the flyers on sale. I never waste my days off to do my shopping. I do during the week after work, or during my break.
I am debt free (ecept mortgage), have solid savings and those little funds:Christmas fund, childrend fund (even they are 31 and 25) my grandson's Fund, Vacation fund. I lways pay myself fisrt from my paycheck 5%, they say 10% is the norm, but I am not greedy 5% is OK with me.
At the beginnig of the year I write down my financial goal for the next year and the cost of needed goal/purchace, then start saving towards that goal or purchace. Sicne I have everything in my condo Iwill take a break from renovations and spending. Next year I am planning to make extra payments towards my mortgage which is $100,000, I would be happy to see it reduced. A year later I plan renovate my kitchen.
Thall all for now. I hope you are not bored.

See less See more
#3 ·
I, too, have a President's Choice No-Fee bank account as well as credit card. As long as I don't overspend and pay off the card in full each month, I get 1% back in free groceries. It adds up very fast.

BTW, winner, you could always buy gift certificates with your PC points in denominations in $5, $10, $25, $50 and $100 (I think) and give them away as gifts. ...Just an idea!

#4 ·
Hi,
Thank you for telling me about gift cards, with current increased food prices giving away a gift card is a very good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.