I am joining the on going $25.00 spending challenge..
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up I am joining the on going $25.00 spending challenge..

Hi there.
    I thought I am frugal, but reading all your valuable messages, tips made me to think that there is always a room for improvement"
    So I will join some of you on this mission of spending only $25.00 per week per person. I have tons of food and will try stay away from shopping. I cxl my car insurance for time being, so the money will go to my vacation fund. I am recovering at home after surgery and have time to organize and plan thing I never had time.
    So far organized my recipes, I feel good about it. I started to panic about Christmas, but after getting my two boxes (it is like finding a tresure chest) with things I bought during the year to give away I feel great. I had an inventory of what I have in those boxes and prices. Well the total is $182.00 for the items and as per today I have $320 in my Christmas fund account. Made my list of people to give gifts, so I will need may $100.00 to buy a few more items. I am very relived and a happy.
    Here some ideas for you if you are interested.
    Kitchen baskets ,
    Very pretty scarve knitted by me
    wine, glasses and coasters,
    Popcorn and a movie
    Mugs and homemade cookies and a nice chocolate bar.
    Glass big vase on a pedestal with shells inside.
    Wrapping and presentation will be very appealing.
    Since my daughter has a big house ( I have a condo) we will celebrate at her place like last year. we had Thanksgiving (Canadian)at my place. I have turkey in the freezer plus I will cook a few dishes at her place with my own ingridiens. They have a choice of what they want me to cook. I have a gread family!
    This way no one is out of pocket, my daugher and I have fun cooking and chatting and my mom is supervising us and taking care of Brodie.
    Looks like I am on the right track.
    Here a few things might help you to cut on your spending. I am Canadian, but I am sure you have no fees bank in the states.
    For almost nine years I don't pay any bank fees (I am with President's Choice). Imagine how much money I saved all these years. If my shopping under $20.00 I pay with their credit card (PC) if it is more I pay with Amex to get my airmiles.
    I accumulate points and can spend these point to buy grocceries. Before surgery on those points I bought 3 turkeys, coffee, oil, and a few baking ingridients. For the grocerries I pay my M/Card right away on-line as soon I come home.
    For my phone and cable I pay with my Amex I had already a free round ticket to California and still have enough mile for one more which I am planning to use next September to take a Pacific cruise all way to San Diego, stay at Ramada hotel using my Tripreward points free 3 nights then fly back.
    I don't use cash to pay for my shopping, but always have available. I use my 2 cards to get those points, but pay as soon the bill arrives. If I need to make a big purchace I save in advance let say I need $600.00 I save, when I have enough I still charge my cards and pay right away.
    On Sundays I make my menu for the next week base on ingridients I already have on hand and items from the flyers on sale. I never waste my days off to do my shopping. I do during the week after work, or during my break.
    I am debt free (ecept mortgage), have solid savings and those little funds:Christmas fund, childrend fund (even they are 31 and 25) my grandson's Fund, Vacation fund. I lways pay myself fisrt from my paycheck 5%, they say 10% is the norm, but I am not greedy 5% is OK with me.
    At the beginnig of the year I write down my financial goal for the next year and the cost of needed goal/purchace, then start saving towards that goal or purchace. Sicne I have everything in my condo Iwill take a break from renovations and spending. Next year I am planning to make extra payments towards my mortgage which is $100,000, I would be happy to see it reduced. A year later I plan renovate my kitchen.
    Thall all for now. I hope you are not bored.

Registered User PurpleSnowflake's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck!!!!!
    If you don't see your worth, you will always choose people who don't see it either.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I, too, have a President's Choice No-Fee bank account as well as credit card. As long as I don't overspend and pay off the card in full each month, I get 1% back in free groceries. It adds up very fast.

BTW, winner, you could always buy gift certificates with your PC points in denominations in $5, $10, $25, $50 and $100 (I think) and give them away as gifts. ...Just an idea!
    If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.

2014 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge
    On November 8th - 135.6 lbs
    1st goal will be 135 lbs
    2nd goal will be 132 lbs
    3rd goal will be 130 lbs
    4th goal will be 128 lbs
    5th goal will be 126 lbs

November No Spend Challenge /6 No Spend Days
    8th (), 9th (), 10th (), 11th (), 12th (), 13th (), 14th (), 15th (), 16th (), 17th (), 18th (), 19th (), 20th (), 21st (), 22nd (), 23rd (), 24th (), 25th (), 26th (), 27th (), 28th (), 29th (), 30th ()

Personal
    Pay off my Mortgage
    $58,186.94 (as of November 14th, 2014 - 5 years, 4 months)
    $73,670.29 (as of December 29th, 2013 - 7 years, 0 months left)
    $94,506.12 (as of December 21st, 2012 - 9 years, 2 months left)
    $108,631.38 (as of December 3rd, 2011 - 12 years, 7 months left)
    Pay off my Line of Credit#1 - General
    $21,070.10 (as of November 14th, 2014)
    $19,058.22 (as of July 28th, 2014)
    $10,784.38 (as of December 20th, 2013)
    $20,330.65 (as of June 7th, 2013)
    Pay off My Line of Credit #2
    $29,186.74 (as of November 14th, 2014)
    $36,457.09 GRAND TOTAL
    Breakdown of Grand Total - see below
    $828.42 undercoating for new van
    $1,148.65 winter tires & rims for new van
    $1,743.27 eavestrophs on our house
    $1,736.75 new walkway in the front of our house
    $31,000 new-to-us van

Winning at money is 80% behaviour and 20% head knowledge....Hey, if it were easy, every moron walking would be wealthy.
    ~Dave Ramsey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi,
    Thank you for telling me about gift cards, with current increased food prices giving away a gift card is a very good idea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in on this too, I think I can definitely make it for the week