Frugal Village Forums banner

qsaver704's turn to challenge herself

695 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mrsmac62 
#1 ·
I am new to this site and lifestyle. We have been low on money since I got pregnant and quit work (two and a half years ago). We lived off savings for a while. We lived on credit cards. I got a part time job for $150 a week. I can take my son with me and he can play while I work.

I want to get serious too. I have spent the last two weeks reading the other challenges and ideas. It is my turn.

I want to learn to make more stuff from scratch.
I am trying to make bigger batches and freezing (soup, pancakes so far)
I have cut the heat from 72 to 70.
I have almost quit buying "convince foods"
I did my own yard work instead of paying someone to do it for me
I joined the change jar challenge (around $3 so far I think)
I joined the $25 a week grocery challenge
I am trying to eat what I have in the house before buying more (and before it expires or gets old)
I am trying to do all this while keeping my husband happy (not boring meals, not altering his lifestyle too much, etc.)

We have approx. $3800 :weeping:in debt without our house. I hope to have it paid off by next year (long term goal, hopefully this will be so successful I can do it early). I also have little savings and no emergency fund. Forget Christmas or vacation money. All of these would be nice, but debt first (I am trying to build up savings a little also, just in case).

Well, that is all for now. I will continue to post to keep myself accountable. Thanks to all.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on wanting to change your life style and make changes to bring down debt. It looks like you are off to a great start. I look foward to following your challenge to yourself. HUGS

#3 ·
Sorry. Been busy and sick. I spent the last few days trying to get well and all my work caught up.

Well, this weekend at church we were selling chicken dinners for $7 each. It may seem high, but we did get lots of food. I also got to take some leftovers home because I stayed all day to help. For $21 I got 3 1/2 whole chickens, lots of slaw and some baked beans. I will be freezing the chicken and sharing the slaw.

I have finally gotten used to the thermostat being lower than I am used to . I also open the blinds during the day, which I used to never do.

I made homemade chocolate oatmeal cookies tonight (using stockpile ingredients) so my Dh and DS would not want to go buy more. I also froze some chili tonight for later.

I am also glad to report my Kohl's credit card is paid off!

#4 ·
Sounds like you're doing really well! I find this site so encouraging, like you I hung around for a while reading other challenges, then realized I could do it. Look forward to seeing your progress. :rockon:
Btw, how old is your ds? Very cute!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.