Results 1 to 4 of 4
11-12-2008, 03:46 PM #1
Katybug's til her B-day Challenge!
Ok all, I've said in various posts, I love music. I have a HUGE music collection and if I listened to it straight, I could listen to it for a month without hearing the same thing twice! That is a lot of music.
Also, I've purchased a lot of music recently and I have enough to last me a very long time. So my challenge to myself is to not buy any more music for myself until my B-day, which is just a few days after Valentines day! Nothing from ebay, half.com, amazon or other online or offline stores.
Exceptions to this challenge:
1) If someone buys me a CD for xmas, I will accept it and use it
2) I have an itunes giftcard that I will use
3) If I get a giftcard for xmas (to amazon or bestbuy) I won't hoard it until Feb.
4) If DH and I are at a thrift store, garage sale or estate sale and find a *score* album we want, we can get it. We both enjoy scores and often listen to them while we are studying, reading and cleaning the house. I say this because two weeks ago we picked up 3 score CDs for $1.25 each at an estate sale and that is just too good a deal. BUT we won't go out of our way to pick up music.
Other (smaller) bits to the challenge:
1) Try and listen to everything I have (some things I favor more then others, like I'm positive I've listened to Pirates of the Caribbean score a 100 billion times, I can skip that one )
2) Finish uploading all my music (I've had several computers go belly up on me in the past 8 years, so even though I did have my music ripped, it then went *poof* and I haven't had a chance to rip it since then)
3) Organize my music on my computer and back it up (I'm picky when it comes to organization and itunes doesn't do it the way I like it done, and also back it up so it doesn't go *poof* again)
4) Back up my itunes purchases
5) Check out music from the library
6) "Borrow" music from my parents. I say "borrow" because I think some of my CDs have worked their way into my Mom's collection. So I need to add them to my library, because I "own" them, they are just at my parent's house.
I'm hoping not focusing on new music will help me rediscover what I already own and also finally get me to finish some of those projects I've been meaning to do, like organizing or backing up.
Join me with your own hobby or weakness! I'll post updates other then next 4ish months!
Last edited by katybug; 11-12-2008 at 03:47 PM.
- 11-12-2008, 03:51 PM #2
I already have an update! Haha! We went to the library this weekend and checked out 5 score albums!
1) Chariots of Fire (Vangelis)
2) A Beautiful Mind (James Horner)
3) As Good as it Gets (Hans Zimmer)
4) Black Hawk Down (Hans Zimmer)
5) Wind Talkers (James Horner)
Also a soundtrack to a Cirque De Soleil show "Journey of Man" that we hadn't heard.
While I was writing this post, my dad dropped off their "Top Gun" soundtrack, because I LOVE the Theme (Top Gun Anthem)
So the first (day) week of the challenge is off to a good start!
P.S. The last time I bought *me* music was Sept 30th, so really I've already been in the challenge for over a month, just now it is official!
11-13-2008, 02:41 PM #3
Something I forgot to mention in the first post, WHY I'm actually doing this.
DH and I do get a small allowance every week for our wants and my music purchases would usually come out of that amount. However, I also need to use that allowance for things that are in the realm of needs, but aren't necessary so the really fall under the category of wants.
For example, I like socks, it is a weird thing with me, I like to change them about 4 to 5 times a day and I like a particular kind of sock. Right now I have plenty of socks, I'm good for socks. However I just discovered these extra warm, extra plush, woolen socks. Clothing, is a need, but I've really got all the clothing I need so anything else is a want. Music is a MAJOR want, but *extra* clothing is kinda a need/want, it isn't a necessity, but the purchase should come before music, but not out of the general funds.
Does that make ANY sense?
So I'm stopping myself from spending my fun money ALL on music and catching up on some of the things I SHOULD be working on.
Also I'm limiting myself to $x per week so we have plenty of money just in case. We were kinda that way anyways, which has come in handle since my accident.
So yea, there you go.
02-18-2009, 07:59 PM #4
WOW, I did it, I can't believe it! I just celebrated my b-day this past Monday and I made it! I did order one CD for myself as a b-day present, but as a double bonus I got it for over 1/2 the price I normally see it.
It is interesting to see actually how little I've bought for myself over the last 6-months. The most amazing thing about it all is the fact I didn't feel deprived! YAY!
I will admit it was a little out of necessity, which made it a little easier to say no, so that helped!
By QM in forum General ChatReplies: 0Last Post: 06-01-2011, 02:56 PM
By Shell in forum Money challengesReplies: 32Last Post: 12-24-2007, 11:30 AM
By homesteadmamma in forum Home and family challengesReplies: 3Last Post: 12-01-2003, 03:50 PM
By AmyBoz in forum General ChatReplies: 9Last Post: 05-22-2003, 07:39 PM
By MANDERS in forum Money ArticlesReplies: 14Last Post: 01-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Tags for this Thread