Frugal Village Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
193K views 6K replies 163 participants last post by  Sara Noel 
#1 ·
September no-spend challenge

Way back, when I first joined FV, I recall we had monthly no-spend goals; i.e, like the grocery challenges, we would see how many days out of the month we could go without spending any money.

I don't see that thread any more, so I am reviving it. :) I will be adding a no-spend tag to my sig and will start on Sept 1. Anyone else game?

#6 ·
Now if I understand this anything that is already IN THE BUDGET and or allowance doesn't count right.

Today I have to go buy ink for the computer printer but it is IN THE BUDGET so that isn't a no spend day because I spent or it is a no spend day because it is a planned budgeted expense like grocery shopping??

:cents:

#7 ·
I'm in, I'm thinking 20 no spend days. We don't count bill paying etc right? What about grocery shopping?

#8 ·
I consider a budgeted shopping trip with a list not a spend day, but just running in to grab something, I count as a spend. That keeps me out as much as possible!

Reactions: walker24
#10 ·
Oh yes count me in!!!
It will be a no spend month except groceries, bills, music lessons, gas!

#11 ·
The way I list my days, any day I spend money, even if it is budgeted, is a day I spent money. So I will never have a perfect, no-spend month. That way, I can't make an excuse of "oh, but that was a NECESSARY expense."

But your challenge is your challenge. If you are disciplined enough to not cheat (and I am not :D), then I don't see any problem not counting certain budgeted and necessary expenses.

#13 ·
Thanks for all your answers. I like the idea of grocery shopping and sticking to my list not being a spend day. Even more incentive to put my blinders on in the grocery store.

#14 ·
i will join for this month, as i want to save as much as i can.
i dont get paid until the 4th and i have no money left as i cant spend anything until then. lol. i'll try and keep up

#15 ·
I'm in. To bad I didn't read this thread before I went to the pet store. So I'm not off to a great start! I have noticed that if I have to account for something on FV then I think twice about the money I am spending. This site makes me way more accountable and it's great!

#17 ·
Woo hoo!! Made it through Day 1!! Officially going off now to change my sig to 1/30! Of course, it helped that I spent the day at home for the federal holiday. Tomorrow will be the real challenge.

3tomboys, I feel your pain. All day yesterday, I felt this unrealistic need to run out and buy something so that I wouldn't do it today! :D (I didn't, by the way.) I know that first day that I have to go buy something will hurt. (Which is probably a good thing.)

#19 ·
im joining too, i spend way to much (well, more than i wish) on playing the lotto online, so will cut down on that

and maybe too on the groceries buy more store brands than i do currently

#20 ·
I am in this month. I need this. I dont count bills, savings, or things like school fees, gymnastics, bowling as spending. BUT i do count grocery shopping, and other shopping in my spend days. Any days I spend money.

Sept 1st was NOT a no spend day. Had the back to school dinner we do every year.

Sept 2nd was no spend day!

1/2

#24 · (Edited)
Doing good so far, 9/1 and 9/2 were absolutely no spending. Today I took the cat to the vet, but it was less than I budgeted. Don't you love when that happens? So I'm counting it 3/3 since it was in the budget. Also turned a coworker down for lunch out at Taco Bell. I brought a lunch, but for some reason the neon cheese at Taco Bell calls to me. This really makes you think of all the odds and ends that come around monthly or every few months.

#25 ·
Okay, I envy someone who is together enough to budget the cat's visit to the vet. :)

I'm three for three. Today will probably be my first transgression, as I'm taking the day off of work and I really want to get those soap-making supplies. Oh, and food. ;)

#26 ·
haha, we just adopted the cat at the end of August so I knew the vet visit was coming. We'll see if the next visit makes it into the budget. Good job so far everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.