Frugal Village Forums banner

Qsaver's Challenge

809 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  qsaver704 
#1 ·
Well, it is my turn. I am 25 years old, married, one toddler DS. I work part time, and my husband works full time. We are trying out the $25 a week grocery challenge.

I would like to grow my savings while paying off my credit card. We have one credit card that is 0% until Oct. 2009. The balance is 3333.44. My goal is to have this card paid off by Oct. 09.

I would love to have savings. I was able to put $400 in savings in Nov. using Christmas bonus. I plan on taking $20 a week from my paycheck to put in savings.

Dec. Totals:

credit:3333.44

savings: 620.00

#2 ·
Not included in the past post is my Kohl's credit. I use it, but pay it off monthly. I use it to get the good coupons. My after Thanksgiving charge was 81.00. My husband decided he did not like the gift I bought him, so I returned it today for a credit of 36.00. My new total on that bill is 45.00.

I washed bags today, ate at home, and kept the heat down and layered. I did grocery shop today, but bought all my holiday supplies ( and groceries) for $52.

#3 ·
My personal challenge the next few days is to use up stuff that has or is about to expire. I have a head of lettuce on the way out. I also have cucumbers and carrots I need to use up.

I made banana nut bread to use up bananas that were going bad. For lunch I had an apple (about 8 left) that will be bad soon. I also ate some expired crackers.

I found out that I will be getting a Christmas bonus. It is $100. I also got my house insurance bill today-$280 for 3 months. I will use the bonus to pay insurance and more on the credit card.

Tomorrow night is the ladies Christmas party at church. We are going out to eat. It is not necessarily a planned expense, but I plan on only ordering a little something and water.

#4 ·
Good luck with the challenge! I shred up older carrots and freeze them (carrot cake, carrot muffins, etc) or dehydrate them (soup, stews).

Older apples are good for applesauce or apple butter, if you can't eat them all in time. Also good dehydrator fodder. :)

#5 ·
Thanks!

Last night I went out with the ladies group.We went out to eat (whatever you wanted to order, but mostly appitizers or dessert). I skipped dinner and ate an entire chicken quesadillia by myself. It cost $11. I guess it was worth it to have fun and fellowship. It was also good because we didn't have to swap gifts. I didn't have to buy anything and didn't end up with something lame. I need to pick up some fingerfood items today. I hope if I look around the house hard enough I will not have to buy anything.

#6 ·
WTG on using up the food. I have committed myself to eating up the food in my fridge and pantry -- especially the persishables in the fridge -- rather than just being lazy or not eating them because I wasn't "in the mood." It has made a huge difference in our food bill, and a huge psychological motivator for me. It's also made DH happy: I don't know about other spouses, but mine pays pretty close attention to what's wasted, so I love knowing that I'm being a better steward of our money (especially as I'm a SAHM).

~Mary

#7 ·
i have been REALLY busy lately. Not just hiding because I have had some spending days. I spend $11 on the batteries for those books that you touch a button and they play music or make a sound. I got lots of used books for free and now I can fix them and have Christmas presents for my son. I have spent a good deal of my $300 grocery budget (over $80). I did buy two hams on sale, though. The first one I cooked and mostly froze for later. The second one I make homemade BBQ from. This was my first attempt and it turned out pretty good. I will have more than enough to freeze some for later.

I have been doing the usual, washing out baggies, doing laundry in cold, keeping lights out, etc. I also decided to put $20 of each paycheck into savings. It is not much, but I would rather use the money to pay down my credit card (0% now, but the day will come when it moves back up. I hope to have it paid off by then)

More eating leftovers planned for today. I hope to have a no spend day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.