Frugal Village Forums banner

Savvymom's Challenge

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  CouponShelle 
#1 · (Edited)
I need a place to collect my thoughts...thank you for your patience! :)

I've been reading the challenges lately, and I'm so impressed and inspired by you all. You all seem to have it together, you have clear goals in place and seem to know exactly how to get there. I'm so happy for you all! I must admit though I'm envious. I know there are many, many things I need to learn and change but don't even know where to begin.

I know that I want to mostly follow the DR plan because it's the easiest for my DH and I to understand and stick with...although admittedly we have yet to actually stick with it. We are angry and frustrated with ourselves for being such slackers. At this point we know what we should do and we HAVE TO DO IT!

So there are tons of other things I think I'd (we'd in some cases) like to accomplish, but it's so overwhelming. Here's just some of my ideas, and the first one is getting our financial lives in order. It is actually OUR goal. So as for some of the other stuff on my mind...

~I want to learn to sew, but am waiting on my MIL to teach me. Actually I've been waiting for 9 years. :(

~I want to learn to knit/crochet, not sure who could teach me.

~I want to get organized overall - I should mention for those that don't know that we recently moved from MD to TN and are currently living with my in laws and we are helping each other because we are splitting many living expenses. This is the only thing that has saved us since I haven't found a job yet.

~I want a GOOD full time job, the economy is not helping that very much. I've put in at least 300 resumes/applications and continue to do so. I have been catering for a local company which is at least something. I got an email today from the school system and they have invited me to attend the substitute teaching workshop at the end of January.

~I have no real idea where to start with frugality, but know I should learn, which will also require me to learn some patience. lol

~I want to start exercising again, I'm seriously out of shape.

~I enjoy sending cards to family and friends, but cannot seem to make time for it.

~I want to make something in my spare time (which since I'm not currently working full time should be often) that I could sell at craft fairs or online...but have no idea what to make or anything. I have some fun ideas on things to make for gifts or for selling, but have no skill, at least not yet...

I feel really stupid to start a challenge thread and not actually know what the heck my challenge to myself is, but I suppose I can just say that getting my challenges together is a good start?

I will keep this updated as often as possible, and hopefully it will start to have more structure as time goes along! I'm open to suggestions and TIA.

See less See more
#2 ·
The only thing I can suggest is to not try to do everyone one of those challenges at once. Start with one. Once you kind of have it in place and have a clear mindset about it and are moving forward then maybe start another one. I know how it feels to have so many things that you think need to be changed, like yesterday. Just remember life is a journey not a race and be sure to congratulate yourself on any accomplishment you make. Good Luck.

Reactions: savvymom
#3 ·
I think its awesome that you have put so much thought in to this. It shows you are really jumping in and working hard at pulling things together! Writing things done does help, keep up the great work at pulling your thoughts and ideas together. And know that there are many wonderful people here that have all kinds of ways to offer help, they really know how to answer questions and are so willing to help each other!
Hang in there, it will get easier with each step you take!

#4 · (Edited)
For now I have two main goals to get organized on and then hopefully I can add in some of my other ideas.

#1 - Find a job!
I worked 13 1/2 hours today for the caterer I help sometimes. It's been a very long day, but at least I was able to work. I will be going in again tomorrow and Saturday. YEAH!

GOAL: Submit at least 30 resumes/applications this week AND follow up on those that have contact information.

#2 Money

GOAL: Re-read TMMO, prepare budget with DH, and catch up past due items by January 15th.

#5 ·
I think you are already on the path. You know your goals! You can do it.

#6 ·
Hang in there savvymom. It seems like you are focussed with the first two goals and that is great. You need to tackle one thing at a time. If you look at the big picture it is overwhelming but if you break it down it doesn't seem so huge!:applause:

#8 ·
I find posting on the challenge board is really helpful so even though you're just starting out...you've come to the right place!

When you decide you want to knit, check your library for how-to books. I taught myself to knit that way because nobody in my circle knew how. Am I the world's best knitter? No, but after making a lot of scarves and washclothes, I was confident enough to knit a sweater. I was slow and by the time I finished it, had lost weight and it wasn't the right size, but the point is, I still managed to figure it out without someone's help. I stopped knitting for awhile but I'm taking it up again and have made friends who also knit who are excited to help me out. I would recommend picking up knitting needles and skeins of yarn at thrift stores or garages sales at first though. When you get better and want to tackle ambitious projects you can always upgrade the equipment and materials you use. Check online too since there are lots of resources with free patterns and forums where you can ask questions.
:knit:

#9 ·
You are doing great! You've put a lot of thought into what you want to accomplish. As for knitting and sewing, around here, there are community classes for that type of thing. Sometimes the library even puts on classes and they are usually fairly inexpensive. Knit shops or fabric shops often have classes, but those might be more expensive. If you attend church in your area, there might be ladies who meet once a month or so to knit, they might teach you how to knit. Just a couple of random thoughts!

Good luck!

#10 ·
It's been quite some time since I've updated this, so let me fill you in on the latest happenings.

I have been substitute teaching for the last month, and catering when they have a job. It's been a learning experience to say the least.

We have been able to get both my car and DH's truck in the shop for repairs and have paid CASH for them! We've paid off a credit card too!

Tomorrow morning I have an interview with a local roofer who is moving his location to our small town. He said he'd like to talk to me for about 45 minutes and then show me the new building. It won't be ready to move in for another 2-3 weeks, but he said if he decides to hire me he will set me up with a laptop so I can start working from home until the building is ready. It would be a great job, so please keep your fingers crossed! :)

I also have an interview Saturday with a government agency. It's good because it's the federal government (good benefits, etc) but the job itself is not something I'd be able stick with long term.

Any progress in the job hunt is good progress at this point. So we are making some headway. Of course it's not going as fast as I'd hoped, then of course we didn't get into debt overnight either.

Thanks for reading, hope you are all doing well!

#11 ·
Don't know if you're still interested but I used this site to learn how to knit.

knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

It worked really great because it is actually a video and you can replay it over and over until you get it.

Hope you get which ever job you want the most.

#12 ·
I was offered the job with the roofer! I think it's going to be a wonderful fit, and I'm very excited to get started on Monday. Having something permanent is wonderful and we can actually make more concrete plans and pay off our debt at a much quicker speed!!! I'm so excited!

#13 ·
:cheer4:
congatulations on the job offer!! If you want to feel really good about yourself - reread this thread (that You created!!) from the beginning and see how far you have come!!

you rock!!

#15 ·
Good on your job offer :)

Knitting help thoughts. I was talking to a lady about a week ago, who works for a church in the office. One thing led to another and I ended up donating some baby knitted hats to them. This week, we start a brand new group at the church for people to get together for knitting and crocheting. I don't belong to the church itself. This is going to be more of a community type thing. I am self taught at knitting and crocheting. I used lots of books and read a lot online. I am right handed and knit left handed. I hope they don't ask me to teach anything ......... :)

#16 ·
I am still working for the roofing company, it has some ups and downs (as with any job) but I have been cut to part time (I'm lucky to get 16 hours a week) so our financial plans keep changing and going extremely slow. On the other hand though, I've been able to spend time with DD this summer much more than normal.

I've signed up for a few survey sites, and we will see how they go. I don't expect much, but every little bit helps.

I'm still catering as often as possible, although they've been slow lately too.

I volunteered (several months ago) to be on one of our County Fair Committees so that will keep me very busy in August. We start setting up and cleaning up around August 5th and have to be completely "off the grounds" by August 30th. Our fair is one of the largest in the nation and is always a fun event. I'm very excited.

I've started an online gift basket company in the past month. So far not much has happened, but I've also not finished my portfolio and hit the road running, slow moving, but very minimal risk with this.

School starts back for DD on August 3rd, so we will all get back to normal for now.

It's definitely time to re-evaluate some goals and set some new ones, but I'll have to come back to that in a few days (I hope.)

Thank you all for your encouragment!

#18 ·
Recently joined the "family" and just read your thread. Congrats on moving forward... on paying cash for the car/truck repairs and starting the new business!!! Keep it up :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.