Frugal Village Forums banner

Not Buy Anything New

Tags
buy
2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  RaineyDaye 
#1 ·
Ok, I am loving the challenges here and have decided to add one I thought of tonight. I am cutting back like a mad woman the last while and got to thinking about "why I buy"? I have thought and thought about this and can't believe the things I list as "needs"! I have come to the conclusion that I buy on spur of the moment and impulsive, when in truth it isn't a "need", its more of a "want"!

In order to rein in my spending and change my ways to become a new habit I am challenging myself to......
Not buy anything new for 90 days.
Starting with that and hoping to have it become a habit by the time I get to 90 days and be able to go on from there!
This won't include; Food, pet supplies, medicine, toiletries, maintenance on car and home.
With the new year coming up, I want to tighten my belt even more and see how much I can get put on bills. This should help stop many impulsive buys, and make me work at making more things. Reuse, recycle, and reduce!
Who's with me on this one?

#4 ·
Patty, I'm going to join you. I'm not sure that I'll make it, but it would be cool to see. I will add to your list anything that is not for my business. (I'm in beginning stages)
Thanks for the inspiration.

Reactions: Patty A
#5 · (Edited)
Thanks so much for the website.....
I had no idea this was going on but it does look like others are jumping on board.
I don't know if I could do a year, but I am trying to start with a few months instead.
Hopefully it will become a habit and I can continue it much longer!
Thanks again, very interesting reading there.

Glad you jumped in with me, and I totally understand about the new business! That is a totally different thing. Good luck, and here is to making it work!!

#6 ·
I'll give it a try. :) I'm not big on buying new stuff, anyway, although I am sure as soon as I make the commitment, I'll think of about fifty things I "need." I'm going to start mine at the beginning of 2009, however, just in case.

I will pretty much have the same list of exclusions, including raw materials for craft items that I intend to try to sell.

#7 ·
I AM IN!!!!
I say whoever's joining this keep this thread going for updates and such!!
Wooohoooo I am excited about this one!!

#8 ·
Glad you joined in Madhen and nvmommyx6!!!
I think this one will really make me think long and hard about shopping of anykind. I just find it to easy to throw in an extra here or there when I do the grocery shopping. This way I will have to decide if its worth breaking my challenge before I toss it in. I am one of those people that take the challenge seriously, so I know it will weigh heavy on my mind when I shop. Its a great way to break bad habits!

I don't think it matters what we add to the exclusions, and you have to have things for business. I totally understand that one. And everyone feel free to add what you need. This is more about all those "little" things we shop for that we don't think about. Or the "big" things we should think about before we add them to a "needs" list. :hug2:

#9 ·
I am in!
This is one of my 2009 new years resolutions.
As I sit here although I am blessed I feel very overwhelmed with clutter. We have so many things that we just don't need.
There are so many things that are new to me that are clogging up the landfills that I really need to change this piece of my life.
We will also be getting a thrift store down the street from me too.

#12 ·
Can we set our own date to start, I still have some last minute Christmas stuff to pick up later this afternoon and I don't want that counting against me!!!
So, I am starting on the 1ST!!
(and I am excluding birthdays considering my dads is today, and have 3 more right after Christmas!!)

#14 ·
I really think the first of the year would be a great time to start. That way we are all one the small "time" so to speak and it gives you time to get a few "needed" items over the holidays.

Thanks everyone that is joining in, I really think this will be a huge learning experience for me!
Lets count down to the New Year and we will all start together!

#15 ·
I'm not starting until the first also. I'm more inspired now. I told my dh and he snickered....um not a good answer!

#16 ·
I'm in for starting on January 1st. I will be buying maternity clothing and baby clothes/needs as I see them on sale and if they are on my list of needs for the baby. I have asked for gift cards for Christmas anticipating my needs for maternity wear and baby things. These are the only exceptions to buying that I will allow myself. I won't necessarily buy new, especially if I find like new at thrift stores or yard sales. However, I have been shopping thrift stores for maternity wear the last few months and clothes are really outdated in this area. I bought second hand maternity jeans to wear around the house and shopping. They are not in style enough to wear on Friday's to work. I see nice maternity clothes as an investment that I will use again when I have baby #2 in a couple of years. I take care of my clothes, so I want my maternity wear to last through each and every future pregnancy.

#17 ·
I'm in! I don't buy much new anyway but there always is birthday gifts and such. I will also start on January 1st!

#18 ·
I'm in on this and glad to have company on the journey. I will start January 10th-that is when we come home from our Christmas trip to see our DD, SIL and Twins. I know I will be spending money--we will be celebrating twins 2nd birthday also.

Only spending is for budgeted items, tithing, house pymt, groc, gas, pocket money, utilities and food storage.

No Fabric Purchases Allowed. (one of my weaknesses)

No Purchasing Shoes for the Grandkids. (oh man is this going to be hard!!)

DH & I have "pocket money" that we can spend on what we want. Kind of like having an allowance. :loop:

#19 ·
I think I'll join in on January 1st too. I need to spend some time after Christmas writing out what exclusions I'll need to make ahead of time, such as what I need to buy new, to get my house ready to sell.

BTW, the book is called Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping by Judith Levine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.