Not Buy Anything New
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Not Buy Anything New

Ok, I am loving the challenges here and have decided to add one I thought of tonight. I am cutting back like a mad woman the last while and got to thinking about "why I buy"? I have thought and thought about this and can't believe the things I list as "needs"! I have come to the conclusion that I buy on spur of the moment and impulsive, when in truth it isn't a "need", its more of a "want"!

In order to rein in my spending and change my ways to become a new habit I am challenging myself to......
    Not buy anything new for 90 days.
    Starting with that and hoping to have it become a habit by the time I get to 90 days and be able to go on from there!
    This won't include; Food, pet supplies, medicine, toiletries, maintenance on car and home.
    With the new year coming up, I want to tighten my belt even more and see how much I can get put on bills. This should help stop many impulsive buys, and make me work at making more things. Reuse, recycle, and reduce!
    Who's with me on this one?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for you! That is awesome. I'll be back to read about your success.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read a book about a couple that pledged to buy nothing new for an entire year... (can't remember the name).

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006...ompact_buy.php

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Patty, I'm going to join you. I'm not sure that I'll make it, but it would be cool to see. I will add to your list anything that is not for my business. (I'm in beginning stages)
    Thanks for the inspiration.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much for the website.....
    I had no idea this was going on but it does look like others are jumping on board.
    I don't know if I could do a year, but I am trying to start with a few months instead.
    Hopefully it will become a habit and I can continue it much longer!
    Thanks again, very interesting reading there.

Glad you jumped in with me, and I totally understand about the new business! That is a totally different thing. Good luck, and here is to making it work!!
    Last edited by Patty A; 12-20-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll give it a try. I'm not big on buying new stuff, anyway, although I am sure as soon as I make the commitment, I'll think of about fifty things I "need." I'm going to start mine at the beginning of 2009, however, just in case.

I will pretty much have the same list of exclusions, including raw materials for craft items that I intend to try to sell.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I AM IN!!!!
    I say whoever's joining this keep this thread going for updates and such!!
    Wooohoooo I am excited about this one!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you joined in Madhen and nvmommyx6!!!
    I think this one will really make me think long and hard about shopping of anykind. I just find it to easy to throw in an extra here or there when I do the grocery shopping. This way I will have to decide if its worth breaking my challenge before I toss it in. I am one of those people that take the challenge seriously, so I know it will weigh heavy on my mind when I shop. Its a great way to break bad habits!

I don't think it matters what we add to the exclusions, and you have to have things for business. I totally understand that one. And everyone feel free to add what you need. This is more about all those "little" things we shop for that we don't think about. Or the "big" things we should think about before we add them to a "needs" list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in!
    This is one of my 2009 new years resolutions.
    As I sit here although I am blessed I feel very overwhelmed with clutter. We have so many things that we just don't need.
    There are so many things that are new to me that are clogging up the landfills that I really need to change this piece of my life.
    We will also be getting a thrift store down the street from me too.
    Sue
    Single Mom to

"A friend is like a good bra, close to your heart, hard to find and supportive."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ohh, I'd like to join. I joined the Compact's yahoo group a couple of moths ago. Let me think about what my exclusions are and I'll come back and update.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll join in, however there is one thing I'm committed to until the end of June and that's a scrapbooking club. I have to spend $50 (me and dd), otherwise I'll be right there with you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Can we set our own date to start, I still have some last minute Christmas stuff to pick up later this afternoon and I don't want that counting against me!!!
    So, I am starting on the 1ST!!
    (and I am excluding birthdays considering my dads is today, and have 3 more right after Christmas!!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I forgot to add that I won't be including anything that pertains to our home re-decorating. Also I won't start until Jan. 1st. Hope that's okay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really think the first of the year would be a great time to start. That way we are all one the small "time" so to speak and it gives you time to get a few "needed" items over the holidays.

Thanks everyone that is joining in, I really think this will be a huge learning experience for me!
    Lets count down to the New Year and we will all start together!

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm not starting until the first also. I'm more inspired now. I told my dh and he snickered....um not a good answer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast