Frugal Village Forums banner

2009 Get Your Business Up and Running Challenge

20K views 398 replies 38 participants last post by  frugalfranny 
#1 ·
I started a very small hobby business a few years ago (back in 2003). It has limped along, mostly because I don't put any time into it. I have been wanting to breathe some new life into it and get it going again, so I am going take the year to re-organize and start with a real sense of direction.

My first goal is something I have been saying I'm going to do for YEARS and have not yet started - write a business plan!! I'm giving myself until the end of February to get it done. I found a free template on the Small Business Administration site. :)

#3 ·
I too started a small business in October. My dh got laid off so I had to put the $$ I had set aside for the biz to go towards bills. But I am going to work on it this year.

#4 ·
I make jewelry, but the business actually started out as a pet bird supply store. I didn't sell live animals, but sold toys, food, etc. Then I kept branching out, and it finally became too much for me, as I would constantly be under the gun to meet the demands of my customers. I got so stressed out, I just closed it with a notice that I was taking a hiatus. That was over a year ago, and I still occasionally get emails or phone calls asking me if I have something available. I have decided to back off and re-focus, maybe build up a small inventory of the most popular items, and then start back up in a very small way. I have a lot of projects that I want to explore, but can't do them all at once, or I'll be shut down again six months after I start, and probably in the hospital being treated for anxiety attacks!! :)

#5 ·
- I'm in I have been writing a book for about 12 years and I have been working on it more lately, I just have to get it to the next step. I need a few more months to get over the fear and spell check.
- I also started a website I need to market it and get it off the ground.
Thanks for the post and challenge

#6 ·
With ours, we had so many people calling and asking for items, dh couldn't keep up to it. I sorta lost interest in helping him so it was tough slugging. We did make enough money though that it really helped us through some tough times.

In starting up again, we will need to make sure that we have items ready long before others see the items, so it's not always rush jobs. I don't work well under time restraints. I prefer to enjoy what I'm doing rather than being rushed to do an order.

#8 ·
Well, I'm not starting an offical business, but I do want to start selling on E-Bay again, with a few larger things on Craigs List. I have lots of clothes and shoes and purses that I know will sell, so I just need to take the time to list the items. I have a couple of winter things, I wouldn't mind trying to sell now, I just really don't have time to do it until after my overtime is done, so the first part of February, I'm going to do it. I think I'll start taking pictures and gathering the measurements and such, to make listing that much easier.

Thanks for the inspiration!

#11 ·
This is a relatively new idea for me, but I do plan on retiring in less than 5 years and I'd LOVE to have my own business doing what I love, so I really am in on this challenge! I may only update occasionally, but I accept this challenge!

Reactions: madhen
#12 ·
Dave'sGirl, I would strongly recommend going to the Small Business Administration website as a first step. It is chock-full of great ways to get your business planned and up and off the ground successfully.

I've had my business license for almost five years now, although I let my resale license lapse last year. I have to re-file my fictitious business name this year, but I think I'll hold off on the resale cert until I get my business plan done and get a game plan.

#13 ·
I have a jewelry business and I was doing really good at the beginning of 2008, but got a little burned out. I want to go to the next level and hubby is focusing some time to help me get there. I just started getting more inventory in and will be restocking my etsy store. I'm also going to be selling my handmade cards, hubby thinks they would sell well. Mother's Day sales are our first big selling goal.

#15 ·
I also have a small business. And as was said here it really help during the bumpy times. Dh is retired now and can do more. And we also do several festivals and swap meets per year.

I am looking forward to following this thread. ( If I can remember how to find it)

#16 ·
Accepting this challenge! I want my retail website http://dtacustomveils.com up and running this year!

Many years ago I had a successful bridal veil business out of my house. I'd like to move that to the web and sell veils worldwide.

What's holding me back? $$$. I need about $5,000 to fund it.

I have the website, I have the licenses. I need money.

#17 ·
I would like to join this one as well. Boy madhen you are going to keep me busy in 2009:D

I not only want to list items on craigslist, but have a booth at the local antique flea market. I have a ton of antiques that I could get rid of and make a few bucks.

This thread will help me keep motivated and accountable! Thanks!

#19 ·
Thanks, I will get in on this one
1. I have a business for property rentals but would also like to expand to sell some of my land with owner financing.

2. I want to sell some of my antiques and other items including plants at swap meets.

3. I want to set up and get a contract coding from home.

#20 ·
I am up for building this. I have a small craft business, I have done extremely well at craft sales, but took this year off, and still had sales through the website. I am looking at working with a writer to improve things on the site, write a press release for my local paper.

I'm going to re-open a sister site for little girl accessories, as my other business is nearly exclusively Christmas at the moment. Between the two I should be able to create a steady second income for myself and accelerate payoffs etc.

I hope to be full time doing this in 2 to 3 years.

First task is updating current site and re-registering the sister site.

#21 ·
I've been in the "adult novelty" business for over two years now, switched companies in May '08 and now I am ready to become #1 on this side of the state! Definitely need to look over my goals and focus!

#23 ·
I am starting a "small business" of presenting a frugal living 2 hour seminar at public libraries in my area. I am doing one this month and one in March. I am getting $50 each time. I need to do 4 things:
1. call other libraries and get it set up.
2. update my presentation materials
3. file copyright papers for the materials.
4. create a blog to go along with the materials.

I need to do #2,4 and 3 this month. Should be fun!

#25 ·
Ok im in! Mine will be selling goats, chickens, rabbits, eggs and hatching eggs. Will try to sell chicks also. May look into selling hay and maybe try to find a wholesale feed outlet and sell feed too!

#27 ·
i don't know if it exactly counts as a business, but i definitely made extra money doing it and it provided most of christmas in 2007 and it was a NICE christmas

i sweep

not the floor, although i do that, but sweepstakes, contests, and instant wins

some stuff i won i used for gifts or the home

some stuff i sold on ebay or locally

i won a trip to florida...that is my biggest win so far

anyway, last year it really dropped off and this year, since i'm working part time again, i'm picking it up again

and it's organized and i have a plan while doing it :lol3:

#28 ·
I was able to get my plans done for this month. The basic outline is there and I am going to let it sit for a week or so then review it and see if it needs any tweaking.

#29 ·
My 2009 business goals

It's great to hear everyone's plan of action for 2009. You all are so crafty, I would love to see pictures of all of your creations.

I started a business last year that shows people how to earn cash back when they shop online. It was free to start and it doesn't cost anything to run, I just need to start spreading the word about it.

Since I have been blessed with a steady paying government job, my goal this year is to donate 80% of what I make with my business back to charity. I think that doing it to help others will really motivate me to spread the word and expand the business. I'm trying to live a more frugal life and one that's less about me and more about serving God and helping others.

Keep updating with your business accomplishments, I look forward to reading them!

#30 ·
found this in an email from betty crocker and thought i'd share. if it's inappropriate, i apologize.

http://www.hybridmom.com/hsn-mfp.html
We are THRILLED TO ANNOUNCE our partnership with HSN - one of today’s leading multi-channel retail platforms!

HSN will market products created and developed by moms under the Moms-for-Profit Trademark, in Partnership with Hybrid Mom Consulting & Media Group.

HSN has joined Hybrid Mom in our commitment to assist mom-owned companies in a manner they only dreamed possible. With our HSN relationship, products will be marketed through television programming on HSN that is dedicated to products created, solely, by the mom members of the Moms-for-Profit program . In addition, HSN will market additional mom products through their website storefront hsn.com , that will not only feature products for sale, but will also feature content created by our media division, Hybrid Mom Media - of which we produce the Hybrid Mom quarterly print publication.

If you are a mom-owned business and create a product that you think would sell on HSN, please click https://app.formassembly.com/forms/view/61037 and submit our
application to be considered!

if you have questions, you can email stacey directly at stacey{at}hybridmom.com
There is a $95 fee to join hybridmom.com

#31 ·
Okay, just spent an hour taking an on-line class given for free by the SBA. I think I'm ready to face putting together my business plan. My little business has been pretty defunct for the last year, so I'm treating it like a brand new one and starting from scratch, doing all the things you are SUPPOSED to do, but that I jumped right out of the gate without thinking about.

One short-term goal for this week is to get my FBN re-registered. It was due in 2008, and I didn't do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.