52 Weeks to A New Me
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 52 Weeks to A New Me

Well, of course being the *nearly* beginning of a New Year, it feels like a great time to make a great change to my life. I hope I don't set myself up for a hard fall by trying to take to much on, but I am ready for some big changes in my life.

Currently right now, I am unemployed. I am looking for employment, but things aren't looking great over here. I am open to working anything, but so is everyone else it seems. This is going to be my biggest challenge, I believe, trying to find something to make some money. As a single mom, it's terrifying, but luckily, I have some amazing family, IF I need their help. I am working on not needing their help.

I am going to try to keep this thread as a complete track of how I am doing, so it's probably going to get a little boring! I want to track our expenses completely, so that this time next year, when I am in a better financial state, I will know what to expect the following year.

Some of my big money goals include; paying down $5,000 worth of debt. To do this, I am going to look and track all of my debt, and hopefully when I am employed, find some "extra" money that I would have normally thrown away at junk towards our debt. I think this is manageable

Another big money goal is to save $5,000. I know most of the financial gurus tell you to save $1000 as an emergency fund. Well, let me tell you how fast $1000 goes when you're unemployed. LOL ... it wasn't pretty. Seeing as how $1000 isn't even a month of our living expenses, I just don't feel comfortable with that amount of money. I know it's better than nothing, but I am going to hope to save $5000 this year to feel safer, if I was to lose my job again.

I have a lot of other goals, including loosing some major weight this year, but these are my biggest financial goals at this time. I am going to try to check in daily with this thread, but I know I can check in once a week.

Fingers crossed! I think this time next year I'll be in a completely different financial state! That's the goal, anyways ...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck to you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with both the job and financial goals. When I was looking for work last year I found an article about job hunting. The one thing I still remember was how to prepare for an interview. This process also helped me 'flesh' out my resume. Here are the hi-lites - look back on past accomplishments and write down the situations you faced, what the obstacles were, the actions you took to address the situations/obstacles and the results of those actions. I wrote down 5 and read through them before I went to an interview. It really helped me get my thoughts straight when they asked a question like - give me one example of when you faced difficult situations.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you ever hear of the Book "Prayer of Jabez" well if you believe in God and miracles get it and read it. I wanted to change jobs so I read it and it changed my life so I hope you can do this for you!
    Loving Wife to Ken 30 yrs & 3 sons
    My furbaby: /Sparky paw:Jack Russel,Beagle,Dashaund mix
    Change jar ?

Seek ye first the kingdom of God & he will give you your hearts desires. (Matt 6:33)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great goals. I totally agree with you on the $1,000. It does not last long and I would highly recomment 6 months of income in your EF account. We found out the hard way that $1K doesn't last long.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are inspiring me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you have already found the new you, and you just need to start living her life now! Great goals! I look forward to watching your success!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks ya'll!

I don't want to start off next year feeling broke and unhappy. Ya know? I know I have a lot of things in my life to be thankful for, and I am honestly very thankful for a lot of things in my life, but I think the best way to change is to start.

My mom and I went shopping today *and I didn't find a single thing to buy for Juliette's birthday* and we got to talking about jobs. Somehow we started talking about working on a cruise line. We live in the sunshine state, and a port is right down the road from our house, but looking into it you have to sign a 3-6 month contract. I don't know if I could be away from my daughter for so long, but ... a job's a job, right? I am weighing my options, but if that is the route I have to take, I would take it in a heartbeat. My parents are simply amazing, more than I could ever put into words, and my mom said they would watch her in a heartbeat. My mom was actually the one who mentioned looking into a cruise line for a job. I don't know, it's worth a shot, I just wish I "knew" what would be the good answer.

Today is looking to be a no spend day. I need to find something for her birthday, which is next week. I can't believe my baby will be four, sniff. She just doesn't need anything ... and doesn't honestly want anything as well. Other than a baby sister, and well, that's not happening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Day 1:

Today we had a really good, simple day. When days like this happen, it makes me think that we are going to be able to get through this year.

This morning, we went shopping with my mom. My mom bought a couple of things *wreath boxes* and pretzels for us, and that was all. So much for all the "great" deals that were out there.

I had a short seasonal job at Penney's, which I am assuming is over. It's odd. I was hired last week, and told I would work through the 27th. My schedule ended on the 24th, and no one spoke with any of us about if there would be more or not. It was the most unorganized business I have ever worked for. I am glad it was only for a week.

I picked up my check and deposited it into my account. The account is getting very bare. ACK! I have two weeks to wait for the rest of my money, and am crossing my fingers that I am able to find something by then. I withdrew from my 401k, but I never put much money in it ... there is only about $2000 coming to me at the end of Jan. I am hoping the money from my tax refund could come in in time to help. Again, fingers crossed!

Spending money:
    Today was a no spend day, and that feels like a great way to start everything off! I am hoping for a lot more of these! Tomorrow I have plans to hit up the Dollar Store, Aldi's and Walmart tomorrow. I only need a few things, and I need to really look into our cabinets to see what we have. I know we need a little bit of meat, but not too much. We're going to Walmart so Juliette can spend the giftcard my cousin got for her. I don't think she has any clue what a giftcard is, but I am sure she is going to have a hard time trying to decide what to buy.

Getting Fit:
    We went for a walk around the neighborhood tonight, and it is something I am going to work into our plan every evening. It's so HOT down here, it's nearly ridiculous. We played some soccer out front for a bit, so even though I don't feel like I did anything physical, I know I did. It felt great to get out there with her, and it is something I am going to strive to do every day with her.

What's for dinner:
    Tonight we ate something that isn't entirely healthy, but it's something Juliette will eat. LOL. I made mac n cheese with ground turkey added to it. She gobbled it up. I served it with steamed squash, but my picky eater She drives me crazy! Oh well, there was plenty for me to eat, and I love me some veggies.

I am so happy with our start, and I cannot wait until tomorrow to keep it going!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Alright, now that I've found this thing .. lol

So far, so good in our challenge, I believe. I have been writing everything down in my notebook because I took a really BIG step and got rid of the internet and cable. GASP! This will save my unemployed behind almost $200 per month.

Tonight I worked on my resume, and I believe it's pretty good. I wish it looked better for an office job, but it feels almost impossible to make "serving" sound important to me while looking for an office job. I have applied for a lot of jobs, and I am just hoping someone bites ... soon.

Of course, I forgot my notebook when I came over to my parents tonight, so I don't have any of the information to write down.

Tomorrow, my daughter turns FOUR and we are having a small get together here. This is my brothers first time home in awhile, and he hasn't been here for her birthday since she turned one. Technically that year, he left at 6am that morning, so he wasn't really "here". He's more exicited about being home than she is. I think he is buying her a Sleeping Beauty dress, and I think she will have a heart attack when she opens the gift.

It's also my parent's dog's fourth birthday tomorrow. LOL. I don't know if I am going to buy him anything, but we always do. I would get him a small treat, but it would ruin my no spend marathon. Sorry Blaze!

I need to find a job, soon!