Frugal Village Forums banner

2009 Change Jar and Penny Challenge

25K views 458 replies 119 participants last post by  emily_hope 
#1 ·
Who’s up for a Change Jar and Penny Challenge for 2009? Everyone did such a fantabulous job in 2008; I thought we’d give it another go. It’s not long until the New Year begins. I am going to deposit my change from 2008 into my savings account that I started with the change I accumulated in 2007. I call it my Rainy Day Account. I have three separate jars: one for quarters; one for nickels and dimes; and one for pennies. Just drop your coins into the jars and come back here and post your progress. What will you be saving for in 2009?

#5 ·
I'm definately in: I got a new bank from "Santa" . I'm not sure if I will separate it or keep it all together.

#6 ·
I'm in! Taking what I have now and turning it in on New Year's Eve.

Not sure what I am going to do with it, yet.

#7 ·
I'm in.....I have always had a change jar, but we usually cash it in for other things. So this time I will be adding it to my EF Fund! I love the challenges, it makes it so much fun to join in on these!

#10 ·
i'm in starting jan 1st. hope to find some creative ways to add change besides just leftover from dollar bills. getting on my looking glasses for pennies on the ground haha.
this year i cashed in several times to help with bills....i hope to save it all this coming year to cash in to help pay for Christmas.

#13 ·
I am joining this one too! I have my change jars ready. There will be three. One for pennies, one for nickels and dimes and one for quarters. We are also adding any money left from our spending money at the end of each week.

#14 ·
I'm in! It helped GREATLY to fund my Baby EF last year with this. In 2009 I will use this money towards my snowball. I was emptying my jar monthly at one point for a "snowflake". I think I'll just wait until my jar is full and make deposits then. Adding this challenge to my signature now. Thanks!

#15 ·
I'm in. Do we just post our totals in our signature? I'll have to talk to DH about how we utilize the jar. Up till now it's been our 'reward' fund for periodic housework from the kids. Things like giving them a nickle for every hair tie they find, a quarter for every room that already has the lights turned off, that sort of thing.

#16 ·
I am in on this one. I wrapped the jar yesterday and have 62.00 to start out with. I will either put this into the Christmas 2009 fund or start saving for a someday Alaska adventure. I am leaning toward Alaska.....

#18 ·
Count me in. Like madhen, I started mine last week. I ended up with $222.26 and used $200 towards my kids Christmas and the $22.26 I deposited in our savings. I have no specific plans for the $$ this year which is great. It will more than likely go for Christmas.

Cat

#23 ·
This will be my first time. I am in.

#26 ·
I am in on this one. I started 2 jars. One only for quarters which will be for Christmas 2009 and one jar for pennies, nickles and dimes which will be deposited for our EF. I started last week though because I was too excited to wait!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.